Author Topic: Given enough practice time could an WNBA all star team beat the 76ers last year?  (Read 29905 times)

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
Have you ever played a competitive sport against women? Do you really think that a woman is going to do any damage against a guy inside? Imagine a a 6'5'' lady trying to post up a guy who played basketball even in high school. She doesnt have the strength. Didnt women first dunk in a college game just a few years ago?

This is not meant to be a knock against women or women's sports but when you are comparing sports that involve size, speed, strength and stamina it's not only unfair to say they would beat men it's also absurd. Yes, I do mean a group of guys who played on an organized YMCA team and who were all excellent athletes and yes they did play against a women's final four team and yes the women did not come out for the second half because they were getting beat too bad. Be dubious all you want but you are wrong.

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
I just looked around online to see if I could find vertical jump measures for women's sports. I didnt find much but the record for the University of Nebraska's women's volleyball was 25 inches done in 2001. I could jump 25 inches in 8th grade and 35 when I was a senior in high school, not college. And, that was done without even working at it. I'm sorry but a team of WNBA all stars would get absolutely killed by the 6'ers.

Wilt is the only player to ever dislocate and opponents shoulder during a blocked shot but if the WN BA played the 76ers that record would be gone. If it were a real game and you told Philly that each player on the winning team would receive a half million dollars and each on the losing would get nothing, Philly would win by 60 points.

Offline jayk009

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 29
the real question is...would they beat finlandia?

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
Edit: wrong thread.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Yeah I don't know why this is a real question.  Women are weaker then men.  Sports that involve strength, speed, etc. women have no shot at all.  Even sports like tennis, which involve far more skill, the power advantage would still be incredible.  I mean take Serena who is a couple of wins away from the calendar year Grand Slam.  Sure she could beat a lot of men, but she couldn't beat the top men, and it wouldn't be close.  Just too much power and speed, and tennis is one of the few sports where power is minimized.  And I know this because I watch mixed doubles.  The power difference is quite large.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Have you ever played a competitive sport against women? Do you really think that a woman is going to do any damage against a guy inside? Imagine a a 6'5'' lady trying to post up a guy who played basketball even in high school. She doesnt have the strength. Didnt women first dunk in a college game just a few years ago?

This is not meant to be a knock against women or women's sports but when you are comparing sports that involve size, speed, strength and stamina it's not only unfair to say they would beat men it's also absurd. Yes, I do mean a group of guys who played on an organized YMCA team and who were all excellent athletes and yes they did play against a women's final four team and yes the women did not come out for the second half because they were getting beat too bad. Be dubious all you want but you are wrong.
Yes I have. I had a ranking in all 3 fencing weapons. Went to fence an All-American to be on practically her first day of using a saber (she had been good with a foil till then) and she dominated me.  Interestingly there was another all - american to be that I helped train. Even years later I think I might crush her. She just seemed slower and whatnot. That said I could be wrong.

I admit that was more of a skill issue, and far less a physical issue like football or something
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 05:47:02 PM by eja117 »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Yeah I don't know why this is a real question.  Women are weaker then men.  Sports that involve strength, speed, etc. women have no shot at all.  Even sports like tennis, which involve far more skill, the power advantage would still be incredible.  I mean take Serena who is a couple of wins away from the calendar year Grand Slam.  Sure she could beat a lot of men, but she couldn't beat the top men, and it wouldn't be close.  Just too much power and speed, and tennis is one of the few sports where power is minimized.  And I know this because I watch mixed doubles.  The power difference is quite large.

Funny story - back in 1998 Venus + Serena Williams said they thought they could beat any man outside the top 200.  So a guy named Karsten Braach, ranked #203 took them up on it around the Australian Open:

"Before the matches, Braasch played a round of golf in the morning, drank a couple of beers, smoked a few cigarettes, and then played the Williams sisters for a set each, one after the other. He defeated Serena, 6-1, and Venus, 6-2. Serena said afterwards "I didn't know it would be that hard. I hit shots that would have been winners on the women's tour and he got to them easily.""  http://www.topendsports.com/sport/tennis/men-v-women.htm

Even in tennis where the players don't directly interact it's no real contest.  Add actual physical contact and the edge gets even wider.  It's just not plausible.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Funny story - back in 1998 Venus + Serena Williams said they thought they could beat any man outside the top 200.  So a guy named Karsten Braach, ranked #203 took them up on it around the Australian Open:

"Before the matches, Braasch played a round of golf in the morning, drank a couple of beers, smoked a few cigarettes, and then played the Williams sisters for a set each, one after the other. He defeated Serena, 6-1, and Venus, 6-2. Serena said afterwards "I didn't know it would be that hard. I hit shots that would have been winners on the women's tour and he got to them easily.""  http://www.topendsports.com/sport/tennis/men-v-women.htm

Even in tennis where the players don't directly interact it's no real contest.  Add actual physical contact and the edge gets even wider.  It's just not plausible.
Yep, though Serena is a lot better now then when she was 16 in 1998.  Still would lose easily against any top man (and I don't just mean top ten when I say top man, I mean more like top 100).  I would be interested in seeing her face a top 200 guy at this time (someone like Marton Fucsovics who is presently ranked 200 though peaked at 135 last year).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
NBA has the best players in the world, even on the 6ers. No, over before it starts. I would pay to see them try. Hell, people pay to see Globetrotters and they routinely scorch opponents.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Yes I have. I had a ranking in all 3 fencing weapons. Went to fence an All-American to be on practically her first day of using a saber (she had been good with a foil till then) and she dominate me.  Interestingly there was another all - american to be that I helped train. Even years later I think I might crush her. She just seemed slower and whatnot. That said I could be wrong.

I admit that was more of a skill issue, and far less a physical issue like football or something

Remind me to specify nerf guns or something if I challenge you to a duel.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

Yes I have. I had a ranking in all 3 fencing weapons. Went to fence an All-American to be on practically her first day of using a saber (she had been good with a foil till then) and she dominate me.  Interestingly there was another all - american to be that I helped train. Even years later I think I might crush her. She just seemed slower and whatnot. That said I could be wrong.

Remind me to specify nerf guns or something if I challenge you to a duel.
A while ago I spoke to the 2nd all american and explained I've been sword fighting with nerf swords with the young boy for like 3 years now. It's really hard because he gets in low and goes at my legs like Yoda and I'm not used to defending in there. Over time I've gotten better to the point I can stop him left handed but it was very hard for a while.  She thought this was hilarious.

I should also be more specific. I didn't mean I had earned like a world ranking or something. Fencers earn rankings from E up to A.  I got up to a C which is where you earn automatic Es in the other two, which is what happened. (A B gets you Ds, and an A gets you Cs).

18 year old recruits on a college team with high aspirations would be generally in the C to A range (mostly Bs), but I saw an E once. I did decent against some As or former As here and there. Fenced an Olympian to be and didn't make a fool of myself.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 05:52:21 PM by eja117 »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
So, yeah, Nerf guns it is.  ;D
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.