Author Topic: Given enough practice time could an WNBA all star team beat the 76ers last year?  (Read 29908 times)

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
Depends, is anyone here over 6'6"? Anyone play college ball?

The sad truth is that girls can not do anything boys can do despite what your teachers told you.

On another note, could a man have a sex change operation and play in the WNBA? i know it works for free drinks on ladies night, but in the WNBA?

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

The sad truth is that girls can not do anything boys can do despite what your teachers told you.

On another note, could a man have a sex change operation and play in the WNBA? i know it works for free drinks on ladies night, but in the WNBA?

Before you do anything rash, just know that the WNBA doesn't pay that well.  The minimum salary is only about $35K.  The average is about $75K.  Not worth what you are suggesting.   ;D

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
correct me if I'm wrong but this thread is really about the relative futility of the 76ers, right?

Ya I think you are wrong. I think it's about the futility of the sixers as well as the relative skill level of wnba players
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

A man who had a sex change played women's tennis, back in the 70s or 80s. It would be hard to disallow.

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
correct me if I'm wrong but this thread is really about the relative futility of the 76ers, right?

Ya I think you are wrong. I think it's about the futility of the sixers as well as the relative skill level of wnba players

Right -- it's the "you play ball like a girl" of CB threads, aimed at the 76ers.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
 I picked the 76ers because last year they had very little NBA talent. I know the Wolves finished worse, but I just could not see a WNBA team beating up on Wiggins or even Adrian Payne and Anthony Bennet.

I figured with the 76ers at least Nerlens is really young and skinny.

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

Fallon Fox is doing it in professional mma and trying to get into the UFC, though she's causing quite a bit of controversy doing it. There's also this  ;D:

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

Fallon Fox is doing it in professional mma and trying to get into the UFC, though she's causing quite a bit of controversy doing it. There's also this  ;D:

There's also this (but it goes the other way with a woman playing on a mens team).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFITaQSXxP0

I watched it a couple of months ago on Amazon Prime (so probably also on Netflix), and it was actually pretty enjoyable, in the so bad it's good kinda way.  Cute basketball film from the 70's, starring Welcome back Kotter and Griff from Married with Children.

Also hilarious to see how times have changed.  PG movie from the 70's with lots of homophobic and racial slurs, guys smoking weed, etc., stuff that wouldn't fly even in a PG-13 movie today.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 09:07:02 AM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

Right -- it's the "you play ball like a girl" of CB threads, aimed at the 76ers.

No I don't think so. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

I did, although not well. I'm sure others have.

Real talk: Could we at least lose by single digits? Question open to all...
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 02:31:06 AM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
That's ridiculous. Just as ridiculous as a top college team beating the worst team in the NBA. Just wouldn't happen.

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
All true statements but intelligence and effort matters too and I haven't seen the 76ers play like that since the days of Allen Iverson.

They play harder than a lot of AI era teams, the idea that they don't give a good effort every night is a bunch of baloney. Most young teams play fast and dumb, Sixers are no exception to that.

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Didn't two women just become Army Rangers?

Does this show on some level an elite woman can be better at certain stuff than a non elite man?

I mean 5 women Army Rangers vs 5 male average infantry or even Marines....

I still think some day it is within the realm of possibility you will see a woman in a men's major sports team.  It has to happen at the college level first, but I don't see it as impossible.

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

A man who had a sex change played women's tennis, back in the 70s or 80s. It would be hard to disallow.
renee richards is the woman in question.

as far as hemingway's bolded remark, i assume you are speaking strictly of certain sports. though that was not totally clear. and by the way, for a fun and interesting time i highly suggest this video... "kick like a girl."

it is fun to watch the "mighty cheetahs" in action.  ;D

http://www.kicklikeagirlmovie.com/
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
All true statements but intelligence and effort matters too and I haven't seen the 76ers play like that since the days of Allen Iverson.

They play harder than a lot of AI era teams, the idea that they don't give a good effort every night is a bunch of baloney. Most young teams play fast and dumb, Sixers are no exception to that.

My own personal feelings on what the Sixers are doing aside, I've actually been quite impressed with the job Brett Brown has done there keeping those guys on the right track. They play hard, they don't pack it in and play lazy. When your losing that much, and you basically know from the get-go that it's gonna be like that, it can be really hard to get your guys to keep focused and playing hard, and Brown has done a very good job with that.

If the whole plan works out (which I'm not convinced it will, but whatever) I hope Brown is still around to be the coach. I'd like to see what he could do with a legit NBA team.