Author Topic: Given enough practice time could an WNBA all star team beat the 76ers last year?  (Read 29917 times)

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
With some of the questionable talent evaluation and strategy that is put forth on this board, I'm not surprised a decent percent of the people here this a WNBA team could beat an NBA team.

A better question would be could a team made up of celticsblog posters beat a WNBA team if given enough time to practice?

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
absolutely not, I'm not sexist or anything, but I think a man's power and strength alone can get them a lot of points. With Nerlen Noel's height and strength, all he gotta do is post all day. Not to mention athleticism, I just do not think any WNBA team can match up with a 76er team when it comes to speed, power, and strength

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Absolutely not. It's a different game
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
With some of the questionable talent evaluation and strategy that is put forth on this board, I'm not surprised a decent percent of the people here this a WNBA team could beat an NBA team.

A better question would be could a team made up of celticsblog posters beat a WNBA team if given enough time to practice?

Fantastic. I'm in if it happens..

And why can't it? We have plenty of business professionals, a host of lawyers, etc. Pretty sure we could get the backing, handle the legal issues, and put together a respectable 8...

Try outs in September, coordinated by rollie mass, and a potential Xmas day showdown on Spike TV? Easy game.

Let's break out the knee pads, Icy Hot, and double pump fakes, fellas.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
no chance. 

I'm pretty sure a Men's high school championship team would destroy a WNBA all-star team. 

Take the top 10 WNBA players in the world and put them up against Oak Hill or something... Oak Hill would annihilate them.  Just too much size, strength, speed and athleticism. 

However, that said... if Brad Stevens is coaching the WNBA team, I think they could win 40 games and make the NBA playoffs in the Eastern Conference.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 02:08:41 AM by LarBrd33 »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
Also, you guys realize that there is no rule that says a women can not play in the NBA. If the WNBA allstar team could even come close to beating the 76ers wouldn't some of those girls get NBA contracts? Think about it.

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
This type of debate happens every time Alabama Football or Kentucky bball or some other powerhouse college programs put together a really good squad.

Bottom line... The Sixers don't have an NBA caliber PG on their roster yet two of the guys(Canaan and Jackson) scored nearly 20 PPG in college at good efficiency. That should tell you everything you need to know about the bloodbath that a game between a college/women's team and pro men would look like.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Also, you guys realize that there is no rule that says a women can not play in the NBA. If the WNBA allstar team could even come close to beating the 76ers wouldn't some of those girls get NBA contracts? Think about it.
I guess Maya Moore is about the same size as Isaiah Thomas.  I wonder what would happen if they played 1-on-1...

But full game of WNBA players vs Oak Hill wouldn't go very well.  WNBA Centers are like 6'4.   Oak Hill's starting lineup contains a 7 footer, 6'10 player, 6'7 player and two 6'6 players.  Good luck. 

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Think of it this way: the best WNBA player isn't as good as the worst NBA player.  No way is a game even close.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
The Sixers have never even had the worst record in the league since they've started tanking, yet people still keep posing these strange hypotheticals specifically about that team.

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

I think we'd get crushed

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
All true statements but intelligence and effort matters too and I haven't seen the 76ers play like that since the days of Allen Iverson.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Think of it this way: the best WNBA player isn't as good as the worst NBA player.  No way is a game even close.

I agree. 

If the NBA average players ....like Jeff Green or Amir .....are playing for keeps......they women would dang lucky to get off any shot .  Every shot would be blocked , passes stolen ,   Most all stopped in their tracks in the paint .   These long guys can just reach out and take the ball out of weak hands . Like candy from kids.

Not sure they could even beat any bad D League team either ever.

Women would stomp the Celtics bloggers .....easy

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Wnba allstar team might have a shot against the best high school men's team, not sure though
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
correct me if I'm wrong but this thread is really about the relative futility of the 76ers, right?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.