Author Topic: Given enough practice time could an WNBA all star team beat the 76ers last year?  (Read 29919 times)

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I think Nerlens Noel would have a good game as would Jeremi Grant.

I don't know enough about the WNBA.

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
If you strongly disagree a WNBA all star team could beat the 76ers....could they have beaten Duke?

How about Oak Hill Academy?

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Absolutely not.

I think it depends on the Duke team, but the WNBA team probably beats them. Oak hill gets stomped. Even the worst professional NBA player is still made up of some of the 450 best basketball players on the planet, something that's often forgotten since they only play each other -- something similar is true of the WNBA. The college and high school players don't stand a chance, ever.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Absolutely not.

I think it depends on the Duke team, but the WNBA team probably beats them. Oak hill gets stomped. Even the worst professional NBA player is still made up of some of the 450 best basketball players on the planet, something that's often forgotten since they only play each other -- something similar is true of the WNBA. The college and high school players don't stand a chance, ever.
I guess to be fair part of the reason the 76ers looked so bad was that they were being coached to lose for draft position. If the game doesn't count and they are allowed to win they probably would.

So for the WNBA team to have any chance they have to be filling in for an NBA team that got sick and the game counts. Then they'd have a much better chance.

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I wonder if the WNBA team could beat sorta a middle of the road half way decent Euro team or a Chinese League team or Japanese league team. Something kinda like that.

I don't think they could typically beat a decent NBDL team.

Somebody needs to set this up.

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Without question.  A WNBA team would wipe the floor with the 76ers, mainly because the WNBA players are smart and utilize this strange thing called 'fundamentals,' lol ;D. *facepalm* I can't even watch the Uconn women anymore for the same reason - you see more real basketball in 2 minutes of one of their games than you do during an entire NBA season.  Seriously.  It's incredibly frustrating to watch.  That's when there were rumors of Ainge hiring a college coach before they signed Stevens, I was praying that he'd somehow snagged Geno away from Storrs, lol ;D. He'd coach circles around any, well, coach, in the league today, imo.

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Without question.  A WNBA team would wipe the floor with the 76ers, mainly because the WNBA players are smart and utilize this strange thing called 'fundamentals,' lol ;D. *facepalm* I can't even watch the Uconn women anymore for the same reason - you see more real basketball in 2 minutes of one of their games than you do during an entire NBA season.  Seriously.  It's incredibly frustrating to watch.  That's when there were rumors of Ainge hiring a college coach before they signed Stevens, I was praying that he'd somehow snagged Geno away from Storrs, lol ;D. He'd coach circles around any, well, coach, in the league today, imo.

This is sarcasm, right? That's what the smileys mean?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

This is sarcasm, right? That's what the smileys mean?
Has to be sarcasm. I would really like to see the 76ers or any team play the best all star team in the WNBA, could be a shut out. Someone will say I'm wrong but I believe I am not and I am not taking anything away from the ladies.....they do have skill but they are not men and never went through male puberty.

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
The WNBA all stars couldn't beat a small junior college in the middle of nowhere's team. 

I had this debate many times since Brittney Griner was at Baylor and I am a Baylor alumni.  She dominated the NCAA and is pretty dominant in the WNBA.  She towers over everyone else in the WNBA and she is shorter than Jonas Jerebko and as thin as a rail.  She also has a vert about like mine which is pathetic.   Every decent juco team is running out 6'9" full grown men.  These are guys who are spiking down dunks while she just barely gets it over the rim.  It isn't even close. 

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
without a doubt in my mind.

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Something I learned about women's basketball recently.  All the best D1 programs play against male practice teams.  Teams like UConn, Tenseness, Duke, etc.  They're playing against guys who in most cases aren't good enough to even play college basketball at any level (maybe D3 though).  These are guys who were most likely good players at low level local high schools, but not good enough to play college.

They have to put rules in for the male practice team players, no dunking, no alley oops, no blocking shots, because they're trying to simulate women's competition.  Otherwise those practice teams would dominate every scrimmage.

Think about it this way.  What percentage of 76ers can dunk a basketball?  Probably every single one of them.  At worst, does any team in the  league ever have more than one or two guys that can't dunk?  Now think about the greatest WNBA team that could ever be assembled?  How many of them can dunk a basketball?  As of at least a a few years ago, only 3 players had ever dunked in a WNBA game, and only Britney Griner has done it more than twice.  To me, that just shows how much more physically dominate men are than women.  Not that women's basketball can't be enjoyed, they just can't match up against men.

Similarly in tennis, back in '98 Venus and Serena Williams challeneged any man ranked 200 or below.  So Karsten Braasch (ranked #203) played them one afternoon and killed them 6-1 and 6-2.  Braasch said afterwards, "500 and above, no chance." He added that he had played like someone ranked 600th in order to keep the game "fun."

« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 11:21:13 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

Offline notthebowler

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 27
The WNBA all stars couldn't beat a small junior college in the middle of nowhere's team. 

I had this debate many times since Brittney Griner was at Baylor and I am a Baylor alumni.  She dominated the NCAA and is pretty dominant in the WNBA.  She towers over everyone else in the WNBA and she is shorter than Jonas Jerebko and as thin as a rail.  She also has a vert about like mine which is pathetic.   Every decent juco team is running out 6'9" full grown men.  These are guys who are spiking down dunks while she just barely gets it over the rim.  It isn't even close.

There are 100 high school teams in every state that could beat a WNBA Allstar team.  People just don't understand the physical gulf between men and women and I don't understand why.  When I was inhigh school we had an annual tradition that the girls varsity team would scrimmage the boys freshman team. My freshman year the girls were ranked in the top 5 in the state. We (the freshman boys) won 2 games all year.  We were embarrassingly bad.   We beat them by over 60 points and that was with the coaches officiating in a way that made it a joke (giving the boys 3 seconds to get the ball in bounds, 2 seconds in the lane, etc. There is a massive difference between men and women that will never be overcome with any amount of training. There is nothing wrong with saying that.

Online knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
To try to shed some light on the topic, see the attached link.  http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/uswnt-vs-u-17-usmnt.1939180/

A few years ago the women's national soccer team played against the U-17 boys team (that's under 17 or 16 and under) and lost 8-2.  They have played a few times over the years to give the women practice against stronger, faster competition.  The boys always win. 

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
A) I don't think eja is being serious, B) I don't think anyone is seriously saying the WNBA teams would win?

I just can't reconcile my dislike of Duke.

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
I have been a WNBA fan since day 1 and love the league.  They wouldn't stand a chance.  They just don't have the athletic ability to hang with guys.  Skills?  Yes.  But in basketball you can just out athletic people. 

BTW, at least some of the WNBA teams, like my beloved Mercury, practice against men all the time.  I don't know if they have special rules (I don't know how good the guys are and if they would need them).