Author Topic: Idea: Olynyk and Turner to Mavs for Felton (buy out) and J. Anderson  (Read 5540 times)

Re: Idea: Olynyk and Turner to Mavs for Felton (buy out) and J. Anderson
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2015, 05:35:35 PM »

Offline GzUP617

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 12
No.

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2015, 02:55:35 PM »

Offline ThePoeticWolf

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 14
I thought the reports on Anderson projected his ceiling to be a solid pro, but never a superstar.

I thought the knock on Olynyk was that he was likely to be a solid pro, but never a superstar.

Of course there's still the chance that Justin Anderson could never reach his ceiling of solid pro.  Kelly Olynyk is already a solid pro (with room to improve into an even more solid pro).

Also of note;  Anderson will be twenty-two in November.  This means that he won't be given much time.  If he's not looking like a solid starter by the end of his rookie season, he'll be tossed aside as just another low-upside, dime-a-dozen type player.

No thanks. 

I'll stick with Kelly.

Can I ask why you'd stick with Olynky?  The way I see it is, Olynky is 24, a skilled stretch four/center that can shoot but has no defensive help.  While Anderson is 21 right now, a shooting guard/small forward, who can be a defensive player and can shoot 3 pointers and score at will when he wants to.  Has no problem also creating his own shots from watching him in college a bit. 

Also money wise this makes the most sense in the future Olynky is signed only through next year while Anderson's signed to a four year rookie deal.  Anderson also has a higher ceiling at what he could bring to our team and the needs we have.

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2015, 02:59:54 PM »

Offline ThePoeticWolf

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 14
I do not know if I would trade these guys to the Mavs because we own their pick, certain conditions being met.

This trade would work long term for us because of this. 

[Dallas’ pick is protected 1-7 from 2016-2020; unprotected 2021]

Adding Turner and Olynyk won't really help them get any better besides maybe by a couple of games at best.  So instead of a 10th pick we might get a 12 or 13th.  The draft is filled of good talent but game changers are normally only in the top 5 picks. 

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2015, 03:16:16 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Thanks for the support PW!!!

Smitty77

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2015, 03:45:02 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
huge overpay. we're also helping the mavs' record, which we don't want to do because we have their pick.
bingo

TP
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2015, 05:12:31 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
huge overpay. we're also helping the mavs' record, which we don't want to do because we have their pick.
bingo

TP

I truly don't think getting ET and KO moves their needle enough to worry about.  It certainly is very unlikely to get them into the playoffs.

Smitty77

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2015, 06:52:33 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
I loved the idea of drafting Anderson. He plays D, shoots the 3, has tremendous athletic skills, and can play a position of need for us. After we didn't take him, I lost interest in him and wonder if he played summer league and how he looked. That might help determine whether Dallas would be interested in moving him for rotation players like Olynyk and Turner.

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2015, 06:54:47 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I thought the reports on Anderson projected his ceiling to be a solid pro, but never a superstar.

I thought the knock on Olynyk was that he was likely to be a solid pro, but never a superstar.

Of course there's still the chance that Justin Anderson could never reach his ceiling of solid pro.  Kelly Olynyk is already a solid pro (with room to improve into an even more solid pro).

Also of note;  Anderson will be twenty-two in November.  This means that he won't be given much time.  If he's not looking like a solid starter by the end of his rookie season, he'll be tossed aside as just another low-upside, dime-a-dozen type player.

No thanks. 

I'll stick with Kelly.

Can I ask why you'd stick with Olynky?  The way I see it is, Olynky is 24, a skilled stretch four/center that can shoot but has no defensive help.  While Anderson is 21 right now, a shooting guard/small forward, who can be a defensive player and can shoot 3 pointers and score at will when he wants to.  Has no problem also creating his own shots from watching him in college a bit. 

Also money wise this makes the most sense in the future Olynky is signed only through next year while Anderson's signed to a four year rookie deal.  Anderson also has a higher ceiling at what he could bring to our team and the needs we have.

The bottom line is that I don't agree that Anderson has a higher ceiling than Olynyk.  I don't think that at twenty-four Kelly has maxed out on his potential.

I feel that Kelly's defense is highly underrated and that he brings skills for a seven footer that are extremely rare. 

Justin Anderson seems like a nice talent, but a hard-nosed, six-sixish guy who plays D and can hit some threes is much easier to find than a seven footer who can handle the ball and shoot like a guard.

If Kelly reaches his full potential, I believe he will be way more valuable than someone like Justin Anderson. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2015, 10:58:05 PM »

Offline dmopower

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 46
I do this deal.  I think Anderson has a real chance of being a star.  Not a superstar but a solid player whom makes a difference on both ends of the floor at the 3. And I think he fits our system very very well. ET needs to go, a good guy but nobody ever knows what hes doing because he usually does not till he does it.  He makes it work but it isnt exactly what you want your young guys to be learning.

I like Oly but I dont think he will be the difference maker at both ends that I think Anderson will.
blind optimist or GENIUS

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2015, 11:21:04 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
severe overpay.  If Danny wanted Anderson he could have just drafted him instead of Rozier.

As others have stated, Anderson's ceiling is solid rotation guy and you're giving up 2 of them in the deal. 

also, the other reason behind the deal is supposedly so we can keep PJIII on the roster.  why?  he's been in the league longer than KO and shown less.  let him fight it out in camp to show he's worth dealing someone else who's already shown to be a better player so far.

last reason I'm against the deal -- I hate taking on vet contracts just to cut them especially in this case where we're helping Dallas who we want to stink this year.

no good reason to do this deal

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2015, 02:58:02 AM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
dallas say no

over the past few seasons ive realised that the mavs build a specific system based on Norwitzki
with a defensive rim protecting C in the middle to ease the teams defensive deficiencies
olynyk would not fit in unless he'd be backing up Norwitzki
but with Norwitzki playing fine, I dont see olynyk playing much

also grabbing up turner for a PG
as he is better that felton right now
however turner said it himself = he sucks at spot up shooting
this is key as this is the same problem as the rondo situation
Mavs use a variety of playmakers to take control of the ball
having turner there not being able to spot up and shoot and relying on the ball affects their ball movement

Also justin anderson looks good and is way too much to give up for olynyk, turner and getting rid of felton

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2015, 08:36:42 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Sounds like a giveaway from our side, why would we do this again?

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2015, 08:49:20 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Sounds like a giveaway from our side, why would we do this again?

Could be addition by subtraction.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2015, 09:55:19 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
dallas say no

over the past few seasons ive realised that the mavs build a specific system based on Norwitzki
with a defensive rim protecting C in the middle to ease the teams defensive deficiencies

having turner there not being able to spot up and shoot and relying on the ball affects their ball movement

Also justin anderson looks good and is way too much to give up for olynyk, turner and getting rid of felton

Nowitzki was 28th for PF's in Real Plus/Minus last year.  I don't know if I would define that as Dirk playing "fine."  And he just shot 23.5% from three in the playoffs.  It is time to start finding the NEW Dirk.

Smitty77

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2015, 12:47:33 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
dallas say no

Actually, Nowitski is why they might consider a deal like this.   Dirk's minutes per game have declined fairly steadily the last 7 years by a little over a minute per game each year.   He was down to 29.6 mpg last season.

If he's down to about 28 mpg, they need a scoring PF to fill 20 minutes.  Olynyk is not necessarily 'the next Dirk', but he certainly has modeled his game after him and as a sub, would probably be usable right away.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.