Author Topic: 2015-16 EPL Season  (Read 72095 times)

Re: 2015-16 EPL Season
« Reply #120 on: September 01, 2015, 12:52:14 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Anyway i look it Who this is a very risky and unreasonable transfer ... unless he turns into Ibrahimovic but i seriously doubt that.... Everyone is looking for the next henry but end up overpaying for average strikers just because they are french

Oh yeah. Me too. Crazy transfer. To spend so much on someone so unproven.

I think the Bayern deal with Juventus for Coeman was much more reasonable. 8 million euros up front for a 1 year loan with an option to buy him outright for a further 20 million euros. I thought that was a good way of valuing a young player with big upside.

To pay 50 million euros up front. Crazy.

And then to get stuck with a further 30 million euros if he fulfills his talent ... surely if you are paying 50 million euros up front for an unproven player and are taking on such a huge amount of risk you should not pay a further 30 million euros if he is successful.

In the long run the french guy maybe a better option but i`d rather get Kane ....

I'm not wholly convinced by Kane yet either. I'd like to see him do it for another season before I pay however much Daniel Levy will demand for him (probably 60 million pounds).

I would have liked United to do a smaller deal for Charlie Austin for 15 million pounds and then waited until next summer to find a top class striker. Austin will help them now and be a good second choice striker in the future.

« Reply #121 on: September 01, 2015, 02:26:53 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I... I don't know what to say....

£200 million war chest, only one singing. Unreal. This is inexcusable. I get not being able to find world class players, but to not even bolster the positions with clear holes is inexcusable.

I think I need a corner to just sulk for a while... Gosh darn it, Arsene Wenger... Only club in Europe's big 5 leagues to not sign an outfield player. Not to mention, Barcelona, who has a transfer ban, had more signing than us.

I... Really!?
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #122 on: September 01, 2015, 08:44:37 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82

£200 million war chest, only one singing. Unreal. This is inexcusable. I get not being able to find world class players, but to not even bolster the positions with clear holes is inexcusable.

I think I need a corner to just sulk for a while... Gosh darn it, Arsene Wenger... Only club in Europe's big 5 leagues to not sign an outfield player. Not to mention, Barcelona, who has a transfer ban, had more signing than us.

I... Really!?

It's time for Kroenke and Wenger to step aside.  Arsenal has the highest season card prices in the PL - the supporters deserve much better than this. 

« Reply #123 on: September 01, 2015, 10:18:14 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

I... Really!?

It's time for Kroenke and Wenger to step aside.  Arsenal has the highest season card prices in the PL - the supporters deserve much better than this.

The entire Transfer Commitee should be sacked, and Arsene Wenger should be as well.

I get not being able to by World Class talent. I get waiting for availability than being persuasive (I don't agree but I get it). But I don't get not being able to atleast sign one of equal quality to the players we have, just to bolster depth and at least add competition.

He sees everybody in the PL outside of Norwich adding players, being aggressive in the marker, and yet Wenger somehow either just put all his focus on Benzema or was just so outdated in his policies that he's still looking to get anyone on the cheap, and no one was there, or anything else.

It's absolutely frustrating. We can't even close a deal for that Russian striker because he wanted him on loan rather than buying him. What the heck?

I hope Coq stays healthy, because if he doesn't, we may even miss out on 4th place. God, Wenger needs to go.

Really? We have that much money and we can't even overpay a bit to get Krychowiak. I bet if Wenger puts a £25 million offer for him that deal would have been done. And he's no World Class DM, but he's very good, maybe good enough to fill that hole. And yet we can't even do it.

« Reply #124 on: September 02, 2015, 06:13:27 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

I... Really!?

The entire Transfer Commitee should be sacked, and Arsene Wenger should be as well.

I get not being able to by World Class talent. I get waiting for availability than being persuasive (I don't agree but I get it). But I don't get not being able to atleast sign one of equal quality to the players we have, just to bolster depth and at least add competition.

He sees everybody in the PL outside of Norwich adding players, being aggressive in the marker, and yet Wenger somehow either just put all his focus on Benzema or was just so outdated in his policies that he's still looking to get anyone on the cheap, and no one was there, or anything else.

It's absolutely frustrating. We can't even close a deal for that Russian striker because he wanted him on loan rather than buying him. What the heck?

I hope Coq stays healthy, because if he doesn't, we may even miss out on 4th place. God, Wenger needs to go.

Really? We have that much money and we can't even overpay a bit to get Krychowiak. I bet if Wenger puts a £25 million offer for him that deal would have been done. And he's no World Class DM, but he's very good, maybe good enough to fill that hole. And yet we can't even do it.

Krychowiak and Lacazette would have made for a successful transfer window for Arsenal and provided huge upgrades at those positions.  Both young enough to have some resale value down the line if necessary.  Your former keeper looked great against Juve the other day, a MOM performance, but Wenger wastes money on Cech and then stands pat? 

Usmanov seems like the kind of guy who you might really regret backing later, but right now, he appears to be the only entity with real ambition at Arsenal. 

You know, if you're so inclined, you could do worse than to try to arrange a loan for old friend Manu Adebayor.  Lord knows he's a more reliable finisher than Giroud... ;)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 06:23:03 AM by Sixth Man »

« Reply #125 on: September 02, 2015, 02:49:39 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
He told BeIn Sports: "What happened last night with Monaco, who sold Martial to Manchester United for 80million Euros, I've heard.

"Martial scored 11 goals in the French championship " that sums it up well.

"That means it's not the money that's missing at the moment, it's not the desire of investment that is missing, it's the number of players available who can strengthen the big clubs.

Wenger added: "The problem at the moment is finding the players that guarantees you are a better team after, and that example last night shows you very well.

"Martial is a huge talent - he's 19-years-old. The investment is absolutely huge as well. It shows you that there's not many players in the world who can strengthen these teams."

« Reply #126 on: September 02, 2015, 04:59:40 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
He told BeIn Sports: "What happened last night with Monaco, who sold Martial to Manchester United for 80million Euros, I've heard.

"That means it's not the money that's missing at the moment, it's not the desire of investment that is missing, it's the number of players available who can strengthen the big clubs.

Wenger added: "The problem at the moment is finding the players that guarantees you are a better team after, and that example last night shows you very well.

"Martial is a huge talent - he's 19-years-old. The investment is absolutely huge as well. It shows you that there's not many players in the world who can strengthen these teams."

I've heard a lot of baloney from Wenger over the years, but this really takes the cake.  Too bad that Giroud is the best striker on the planet, eh?! 

Maybe all the young world football talent has evaporated because all the kids now wish to play B-ball and someday hope to star for the Celtics.  :)

« Reply #127 on: September 02, 2015, 05:15:14 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

I've heard a lot of baloney from Wenger over the years, but this really takes the cake.  Too bad that Giroud is the best striker on the planet, eh?! 

Maybe all the young world football talent has evaporated because all the kids now wish to play B-ball and someday hope to star for the Celtics.  :)

Absolute cow manure. Everybody in the PL are adding talent to their squad, making them better, except for Arsenal. does he think there's only a handful of players who can shift the balance? Does he not think that even non world class players could help improve a squad?

Just put it in perspective, there are reports that Juventus would have sold Simone Zaza if we are willing to pay £22 million or more. Zaza would have atleast bring great competition in the front. And we balked on the payment. £22 million. We can't even spend that when we have a £200 million war chest.

http://metro.co.uk/2015/09/02/arsenal-made-late-attempt-to-sign-simone-zaza-on-transfer-deadline-day-say-reports-5371685/

And as for the Martial to United thing. I agree that it's a hefty fee for a 19 year old unproven, but full of promise Anthony Martial. But at least Van Gaal is trying to add talent to his squad and solving a problem they obviously have. That's more than I can say for Arsene Wenger, who, if the reports are true, had Simone Zaza lined up if he's just willing to spend, and said no.

I'm trying to move on from a disastrous transfer window, and this quote from him doesn't help.

« Reply #128 on: September 02, 2015, 05:27:02 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
I think Wenger is right on the mark myself.

Arsenal have a deep and talented squad. They do not need players of a similar caliber. They need difference makers. World class talent. That wasn't available.

GK - Cech, Ospina
RB - Bellerin, Debuchy
LB - Moreal, Gibbs
CB - Koscielny, Gabriel, Mertesacker, Chambers
DM - Coquelin
CM - Wilshere, Ramsey, Arteta, Flamini
AM - Ozil, Cazorla, Rosicky
Wide players - Alexis Sanchez, Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain
ST - Giroud, Welbeck, J.Campbell

The one area I would have liked to have seen Arsenal add somebody was behind Coquelin. I was disappointed that didn't happen. But that is my only complaint. And as I said before, I only wanted to see a small signing here. Not a star but someone who is comfortable being a backup to Coquelin who I think is a very good young player and should continue to be developed and remain as 1st choice.

The rest of the squad is very talented and has depth across the board.

They needed world class talent. Not more talent of a similar quality. They need someone who can elevate the squad. Who can lift the team. That player wasn't available this summer.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 05:39:27 PM by Who »

« Reply #129 on: September 02, 2015, 05:37:54 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
I also think Arsenal get an unfair time over their spending. They have spent a lot of money in recent years.

They have made two huge signings in previous two summers in Ozil (42mil) and Sanchez (35mil) along with Welbeck (16mil), Chambers (16mil), Debuchy (12mil), Gabriel (11mil) and Cech this summer (10mil). That is a 142 million in just over a 2 year time period.

I think they get harshly judged because of the limited net spend in previous years due to the stadium costs ... because they have clearly been spending a lot of money recently.

And in doing so they have built a very, very good football team. A team that has depth and quality. A situation now where they have a team that is hard to come into and really add something to the team to warrant spending large sums of money on.

« Reply #130 on: September 02, 2015, 06:23:48 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I think Wenger is right on the mark myself.

Arsenal have a deep and talented squad. They do not need players of a similar caliber. They need difference makers. World class talent. That wasn't available.

GK - Cech, Ospina
RB - Bellerin, Debuchy
LB - Moreal, Gibbs
CB - Koscielny, Gabriel, Mertesacker, Chambers
DM - Coquelin
CM - Wilshere, Ramsey, Arteta, Flamini
AM - Ozil, Cazorla, Rosicky
Wide players - Alexis Sanchez, Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain
ST - Giroud, Welbeck, J.Campbell

The one area I would have liked to have seen Arsenal add somebody was behind Coquelin. I was disappointed that didn't happen. But that is my only complaint. And as I said before, I only wanted to see a small signing here. Not a star but someone who is comfortable being a backup to Coquelin who I think is a very good young player and should continue to be developed and remain as 1st choice.

The rest of the squad is very talented and has depth across the board. 

They needed world class talent. Not more talent of a similar quality. They need someone who can elevate the squad. Who can lift the team. That player wasn't available this summer.

I kept saying this, and I will say this again. Kevin De Bruyne wasn't available but Manchester City managed to get him thru persuasion and spending.

I bet, heck, every Arsenal fan will bet you that if Wenger was willing to spend, he'll either have Alexandre Lacazette or Karim Benzema in the Emirates.

And I root for the Gunners, but that team won't beat Manchester City. They will not win the league, especially not when they have 83 shots on goal and only made one, and Wenger didn't do squat to address that problem.

« Reply #131 on: September 02, 2015, 08:32:15 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
what wenger really needs to do is start Ox and Walcott.  Let Walcott get behind the backs and use his pace.  This should be a break out year for Ox....let the kid do his thing.  Gunners have been far better at attacking when he is on the pitch.

« Reply #132 on: September 02, 2015, 08:55:22 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
I also think Arsenal get an unfair time over their spending. They have spent a lot of money in recent years.

They have made two huge signings in previous two summers in Ozil (42mil) and Sanchez (35mil) along with Welbeck (16mil), Chambers (16mil), Debuchy (12mil), Gabriel (11mil) and Cech this summer (10mil). That is a 142 million in just over a 2 year time period.

I think they get harshly judged because of the limited net spend in previous years due to the stadium costs ... because they have clearly been spending a lot of money recently.

And in doing so they have built a very, very good football team. A team that has depth and quality. A situation now where they have a team that is hard to come into and really add something to the team to warrant spending large sums of money on.

I have a lot of respect for Arsenal, and even more for Wenger, who is one of those rare managers who believes in beautiful football.  However, if you think that that squad is capable of competing for the PL title, and is too good to be improved upon through the transfer market, then I think, with all due respect, that you are very seriously deluded in that regard. 

Arsenal will struggle to finish in the top four this season.  When Coquelin or Giroud are unavailable, it's going to be even more ugly.  Of course, by your measurements, they are world-class at their positions... ???  Heck, they're so good they don't even require back-ups to spell them when they're injured or too knackered to play!  ;D

« Reply #133 on: September 02, 2015, 08:59:21 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
Ox is a great young talent.  He should be seeing more minutes...

« Reply #134 on: September 02, 2015, 11:37:26 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

I have a lot of respect for Arsenal, and even more for Wenger, who is one of those rare managers who believes in beautiful football.  However, if you think that that squad is capable of competing for the PL title, and is too good to be improved upon through the transfer market, then I think, with all due respect, that you are very seriously deluded in that regard. 

Arsenal will struggle to finish in the top four this season.  When Coquelin or Giroud are unavailable, it's going to be even more ugly.  Of course, by your measurements, they are world-class at their positions... ???  Heck, they're so good they don't even require back-ups to spell them when they're injured or too knackered to play!  ;D

Agreed 100%

We may not be able to get a world class player this window, but it's frustrating, and a travesty, to not even try add depth to the squad. It lacks ambition, and, as Gary Neville sais, either naivety or arrogance by Arsene Wenger to not even pursue one signing outside of Petr Cech.