Author Topic: 2015-16 EPL Season  (Read 72116 times)

Re: 2015-16 EPL Season
« Reply #135 on: September 03, 2015, 12:35:28 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I still don't see it.

Defense

GK = brought in a top class keeper in Cech to upgrade on two very good keepers in Ospina and Szczcesny. Top quality and depth. No need for further transactions.

RB = Bellerin is their RB of the future and needs games to develop. Already have a good alternative in Debuchy. They could certainly upgrade here on Bellerin as a starter but that would harm his long term future with the club. So this is not an area to upgrade.

LB = Wenger has said time and time again that he thinks Gibbs can become first choice LB for English national team. Have quality alternative in Monreal. This seems an area where Arsenal could improve their team to me but that would involve Wenger giving up on Gibbs which he is not ready to do yet. So no expectations of anything here.

CB = Quality CB in Koscielny. Solid one in Mertesacker. Young up and comer in Chambers. Just signed a promising CB last January in Gabriel who I think looks very talented. Would people have been happy if Wenger if signed Gabriel this summer instead of last winter? Then they could have had their outfield player signing. I honesty think a lot more would be satisfied with this summer's transfers if Gabriel had of been bought in the summer instead of the winter. No need for further additions here unless they are truly of the top class variety.

Midfield

DM = Coquelin established himself as one of the top DMs in the Premier League last season and earned Arsene's trust. I believe he should continue as 1st choice DM. I am happy that Wenger sees this the same way. I am unhappy that Wenger did not sign a backup for Coquelin. A big name signing was not needed here. Just someone dependable. I know some people want Arsenal to play with two DMs in their starting lineup but Wenger clearly does not want to do that and sacrifice team's attacking identity. I agree completely with that point of view. Especially so given the array of talent Wenger has at his disposal in CM and AM.

CM = Ramsey (box-to-box) and Wilshere (playmaking CM) are two of the best CMs in the country. Cazorla can also play here and be a top class playmaking CM. Rosicky (playmaking CM), Arteta (deep lying playmaker) and Flamini (defensive minded box-to-box) provide ample cover. No need for further reinforcements here.

AM = Ozil is one of the best players in the world at his position. Cazorla is a top class player as well. Rosicky and Wilshere can also play here. Even Sanchez, Ox or Ramsey. Top quality and plenty of depth.

WF = Sanchez is a top quality player. Theo Walcott was signed to a new deal and should be at the peak of his career if injuries haven't hurt him. Oxlade-Chamberlain is a young up and comer who Wenger (and others) clearly believe in (I don't!). Ozil and Cazorla can also moved out wide as roaming playmakers / inverted wingers. Welbeck can also move out wide as well. I would have loved to have seen Wenger sign a top quality wide player who is good in one-on-ones but Wenger clearly never felt that was a need for the club and believes in Walcott and Chamberlain. I can accept that. No need for further depth beyond these players.

Attack

CF = Giroud is a very good striker who can be depended on for 15-20 goals a season. Not a top class player but a level below. Danny Welbeck was signed 12 months ago for $16 million (which is 3rd highest transfer in Arsenal's history). I really like Welbeck too. Not the best goal-scorer but a good all-round footballer. I think he is an underrated player. Wenger also has Joel Campbell to call upon as well as playing Walcott or Sanchez up front.

I don't see why Arsenal should spend big money on another striker who is of a similar quality as Giroud and Welbeck. He already has two strikers of that caliber already. Worthwhile to get a top quality CF who can offer something much more to the team. But not someone of a similar level.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Again, I just do not see it. I see no reason to sign more depth. To sign more players of a similar quality as to what is already there. There is lots of talent and lots of depth.

If a top quality player was available, then yes, that is something worth doing. Someone who can really catapult the club forward. Like Cazorla, Ozil and Sanchez did.

But otherwise, it is just movement for movement's sake.

Louis Van Gaal has just said something similar. He has overturned Man Utd's squad and is now happy with the depth and variety of the team. He is no longer interested in adding players of that quality anymore. Only world class talent. Players who can truly transform and elevate the team. That is where Arsenal are as well.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 01:14:21 AM by Who »

« Reply #136 on: September 03, 2015, 01:03:22 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
As a Chelsea fan, I think we have less depth than Arsenal.

Defense = only 3 side backs with Ivanovic, Azpilicueta and Baba. And one of those guys has only 1 season of top division football experience. 3 good CBs and some no-name guy from France as our fourth choice because Mourinho refuses to trust any of our young players.

Midfield = first choice guys are stellar in Matic and Fabregas. Matic is our only true ball-winner in midfield. Fabregas is our only playmaker. Either one of those guys goes missing for a length of time and the midfield is seriously comprised. Mikel is decent holding midfielder but no defensive midfielder. Ramires is a good box-to-box player but no defensive midfielder, holding midfielder or playmaker. Loftus Cheek may be a solution here. So far unproven. Talented but Mourinho is trying hard to stop him from expressing himself on the pitch. Pity.

Strikers = Diego Costa is a very good player. Options behind him or less convincing. Remy is hit or miss. Undependable. Falcao is a shadow of himself.

----------------------------------------------------

34 players out on loan. I cannot believe that none of those young players are unable to fill some of these gaps in the team. Not to mention the young players Mourinho has thrown away in recent years like Lukaka, De Bruyne or Schurrle.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 01:10:48 AM by Who »

« Reply #137 on: September 03, 2015, 03:04:44 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
I still don't see it.

Defense

GK = brought in a top class keeper in Cech to upgrade on two very good keepers in Ospina and Szczcesny. Top quality and depth. No need for further transactions.

RB = Bellerin is their RB of the future and needs games to develop. Already have a good alternative in Debuchy. They could certainly upgrade here on Bellerin as a starter but that would harm his long term future with the club. So this is not an area to upgrade.

LB = Wenger has said time and time again that he thinks Gibbs can become first choice LB for English national team. Have quality alternative in Monreal. This seems an area where Arsenal could improve their team to me but that would involve Wenger giving up on Gibbs which he is not ready to do yet. So no expectations of anything here.

CB = Quality CB in Koscielny. Solid one in Mertesacker. Young up and comer in Chambers. Just signed a promising CB last January in Gabriel who I think looks very talented. Would people have been happy if Wenger if signed Gabriel this summer instead of last winter? Then they could have had their outfield player signing. I honesty think a lot more would be satisfied with this summer's transfers if Gabriel had of been bought in the summer instead of the winter. No need for further additions here unless they are truly of the top class variety.

Midfield

DM = Coquelin established himself as one of the top DMs in the Premier League last season and earned Arsene's trust. I believe he should continue as 1st choice DM. I am happy that Wenger sees this the same way. I am unhappy that Wenger did not sign a backup for Coquelin. A big name signing was not needed here. Just someone dependable. I know some people want Arsenal to play with two DMs in their starting lineup but Wenger clearly does not want to do that and sacrifice team's attacking identity. I agree completely with that point of view. Especially so given the array of talent Wenger has at his disposal in CM and AM.

CM = Ramsey (box-to-box) and Wilshere (playmaking CM) are two of the best CMs in the country. Cazorla can also play here and be a top class playmaking CM. Rosicky (playmaking CM), Arteta (deep lying playmaker) and Flamini (defensive minded box-to-box) provide ample cover. No need for further reinforcements here.

AM = Ozil is one of the best players in the world at his position. Cazorla is a top class player as well. Rosicky and Wilshere can also play here. Even Sanchez, Ox or Ramsey. Top quality and plenty of depth.

WF = Sanchez is a top quality player. Theo Walcott was signed to a new deal and should be at the peak of his career if injuries haven't hurt him. Oxlade-Chamberlain is a young up and comer who Wenger (and others) clearly believe in (I don't!). Ozil and Cazorla can also moved out wide as roaming playmakers / inverted wingers. Welbeck can also move out wide as well. I would have loved to have seen Wenger sign a top quality wide player who is good in one-on-ones but Wenger clearly never felt that was a need for the club and believes in Walcott and Chamberlain. I can accept that. No need for further depth beyond these players.

Attack

CF = Giroud is a very good striker who can be depended on for 15-20 goals a season. Not a top class player but a level below. Danny Welbeck was signed 12 months ago for $16 million (which is 3rd highest transfer in Arsenal's history). I really like Welbeck too. Not the best goal-scorer but a good all-round footballer. I think he is an underrated player. Wenger also has Joel Campbell to call upon as well as playing Walcott or Sanchez up front.

I don't see why Arsenal should spend big money on another striker who is of a similar quality as Giroud and Welbeck. He already has two strikers of that caliber already. Worthwhile to get a top quality CF who can offer something much more to the team. But not someone of a similar level.

Again, I just do not see it. I see no reason to sign more depth. To sign more players of a similar quality as to what is already there. There is lots of talent and lots of depth.

If a top quality player was available, then yes, that is something worth doing. Someone who can really catapult the club forward. Like Cazorla, Ozil and Sanchez did.

Louis Van Gaal has just said something similar. He has overturned Man Utd's squad and is now happy with the depth and variety of the team. He is no longer interested in adding players of that quality anymore. Only world class talent. Players who can truly transform and elevate the team. That is where Arsenal are as well.

Look, I agree with most of your assessments of Arsenal players.  However, I think it is beyond reason to attempt to get through a long season with ONE DM.  Flamini, from what I saw last season, is no longer able to cover enough ground to effectively patrol in front of the CB's.  Arteta is exactly how you described him, as a 'deep-lying playmaker' but he gives you nothing if forced to play DM role.  You say noone is available anywhere in the world to better Arsenal's squad, but City scooped up Delph for 8 million.  He would have been perfect for them.

Giroud is a great #3 striker, and Welbeck is a decent reserve, but if Arsenal had a true predator in the box, it would revolutionize their forward play.  I really expected them to make a serious run at Edin Dzeko, who would score 30 goals for them, if fit.  Lacazette will be a monster player in the PL, as would Cavani, but I guess no one at Arsenal is willing to make a big offer for anyone.  Maybe Wenger thinks Giroud is BETTER than Cavani or Lacazette. 

« Reply #138 on: September 03, 2015, 09:01:27 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I still don't see it.

Because there could be a striker of similar quality who doesn't miss chances as much as Giroud.

Just remember Monaco of last year when he had about 3 -4 chances and missed all of them, being wide open was booted to the moon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqkSBvJ1iNg

This season, 4 games in and it's no different. Adding another player of the same quality offers competition or an option to go for if Giroud still can't make his chances. While a World Class player is what we need to go for, it would not hurt to add a quality striker if that player was not available this window, especially one who's relatively young (to have resale value). I value your insights, on basketball and football, but just can't agree with you on this one, Who. Bayern Munich is a loaded team and champions at that, but they still went and bought Arturo Vidal and Douglas Costa, two players who are of the same quality as what they already have in their squad. Depth doesn't hurt. It may not catapult a team right away, but it gives options, especially when if the team has 3 competitions to compete in.

Simone Zaza was good enough for Juventus to sign him, champions and UCL finalist, despite having Mandzukic and Morata in their lineup (and paid €18 million to do so, might I add). They signed a lesser quality (but a good one) striker to add depth. Why can't Arsenal do it? In fact, Zaza was in line if for them if they are just willing to pay.

And again, availability is one thing, being aggressive is another. If only Wenger was willing to spend he would have gotten that Striker already.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 09:11:47 AM by Yoki_IsTheName »
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #139 on: September 03, 2015, 09:27:08 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Bayern Munich is a loaded team and champions at that, but they still went and bought Arturo Vidal and Douglas Costa, two players who are of the same quality as what they already have in their squad. Depth doesn't hurt. It may not catapult a team right away, but it gives options, especially when if the team has 3 competitions to compete in.

Those two guys are top class talent. The types of players Arsenal should be looking to sign. Vidal is one of the best box-to-box players in the world. Douglas Costa is showing he is a very talented wide attacking midfielder and should prove himself as a top class player this year also.

Both players were necessary as well. Ribery and Robben are getting old and missing games (especially Ribery). Bayern had no one-on-one players late last season and it was a big reason why they got knocked out of the Champions League (personally, I believe it was a big reason Arsenal got knocked out as well but Wenger clearly does not agree so I did not expect them to add anyone like this unfortunately). Vidal is needed because their central midfield was lacking in legs and defensive nous.

Despite this wonderful team, Bayern have only 2 CBs of good quality. They had a game the other day where they only had 1 recognized CB on the pitch due to lack of depth. They Have only 1 true CF in their squad in Lewandowski. No replacement for Xabi Alonso as playmaking holding midfielder. Only 2 quality central midfielders in Tiago Alcantra and Vidal. Guardiola is regularly moving players around the pitch to cover holes in their squad.

Bayern added top quality talent this summer. Players (Vidal, Douglas Costa) who can and already have elevated their team. Arsenal wanted to do the same. They wanted a top class striker to elevate their team but that player wasn't available in the summer. Man United found the same thing which is why they spent 80 million on a teenager with 9 league goals to his name last season.

« Reply #140 on: September 03, 2015, 09:33:50 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Bayern Munich is a loaded team and champions at that, but they still went and bought Arturo Vidal and Douglas Costa, two players who are of the same quality as what they already have in their squad. Depth doesn't hurt. It may not catapult a team right away, but it gives options, especially when if the team has 3 competitions to compete in.

Those two guys are top class talent. The types of players Arsenal should be looking to sign. Vidal is one of the best box-to-box players in the world. Douglas Costa is showing he is a very talented wide attacking midfielder and should prove himself as a top class player this year also.

Both players were necessary as well. Ribery and Robben are getting old and missing games (especially Ribery). Bayern had no one-on-one players late last season and it was a big reason why they got knocked out of the Champions League (personally, I believe it was a big reason Arsenal got knocked out as well but Wenger clearly does not agree so I did not expect them to add anyone like this unfortunately). Vidal is needed because their central midfield was lacking in legs and defensive nous.

Despite this wonderful team, Bayern have only 2 CBs of good quality. They had a game the other day where they only had 1 recognized CB on the pitch due to lack of depth. They Have only 1 true CF in their squad in Lewandowski. No replacement for Xabi Alonso as playmaking holding midfielder. Only 2 quality central midfielders in Tiago Alcantra and Vidal. Guardiola is regularly moving players around the pitch to cover holes in their squad.

Bayern added top quality talent this summer. Players (Vidal, Douglas Costa) who can and already have elevated their team. Arsenal wanted to do the same. They wanted a top class striker to elevate their team but that player wasn't available in the summer. Man United found the same thing which is why they spent 80 million on a teenager with 9 league goals to his name last season.

Sure, top class talent going to a team which their positions ate being held by top class talents of their own right.

I'm just using it as an example, as to why depth wpuldnt hurt than actually not buying anyone. That world class talent may not be available, but at least buy someone of quality to try and solve the problems Arsenal had, even if it's a stop gap solution at best, especially if there's money to spend.

That's better than not actually signing anyone. Problems still exists and there's no hope of any solution.

Even your boys, Chelsea, did what I ask of Arsenal to do. I'm sure you guys would rather have David Alaba at LB, or a top cllass CB. but he, or a guy of that quality isn't available. But atleast Mourinho went ahead and bought talent, despite not being world class, just to add depth. I don't understand why we can't do that in out DM and Striker positions.

« Reply #141 on: September 03, 2015, 09:45:52 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Simone Zaza was good enough for Juventus to sign him, champions and UCL finalist, despite having Mandzukic and Morata in their lineup (and paid €18 million to do so, might I add). They signed a lesser quality (but a good one) striker to add depth.

Juventus play with 2 forwards. They need 4 quality forwards to have required level of depth for their desired formation. They need more depth than teams who play with just one CF.

I do not see the interest in Simone Zaza. What did he have last season? 10 goals? The same the year before. He is a hard worker but not much of a goal-scorer and not so good technically. If my club paid big money for him, I'd be ticked off. His Juve manager has already tried to convince the higher ups that he isn't good enough to play for Juve and I agree. If he was available cheap, he could have made a nice stopgap 3rd choice CF behind Giroud and Welbeck but his talent does not justify spending big money on.

Morata was another unproven young player who 12 months ago Juve had to pay big money for to sign a CF. 20 million for a guy who only played minor bench role and regularly failed to take goal-scoring chances in a team that created a huge number of them. Big risk. Similar to Martial signing for Man Utd. Unproven teenager for big money. That risk looks to be paying off for Juve. I am interested to see how Morata does this season without Tevez around but Morata has been plenty impressive to date.

Mandzukic similar quality to Giroud.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I should note = I hate paying big money for strikers in late 20s, early 30s. They are too old. Cost large transfer fees and huge wages. Have no resale value. The cost of acquiring them is huge.

I thought Mandzukic was a bad signing for Juve for this reason. I was very surprised Juve were willing to spend so much money on him. It goes against a lot of what they have been doing in recent years. Ditto for Jackson Martinez who is a much better CF than Mandzukic. I would have loved to have seen Arsenal sign Jackson Martinez 3 years ago (25/26 years old) but I think the time had passed for that now because he is too old for the asking price Porto were demanding.

« Reply #142 on: September 03, 2015, 10:01:12 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Even your boys, Chelsea, did what I ask of Arsenal to do. I'm sure you guys would rather have David Alaba at LB, or a top cllass CB. but he, or a guy of that quality isn't available. But atleast Mourinho went ahead and bought talent, despite not being world class, just to add depth. I don't understand why we can't do that in out DM and Striker positions.

Chelsea signed a LB (Baba) because we sold a LB (Felipe Luiz). A proven high quality LB who Mourinho made little to no use of. Mourinho would rather play Azpilicueta out of position at LB than trust the LB we signed for big money (16 million).

Chelsea signed a RW (Pedro) because Mourinho made little to no effort to integrate and utilize the RW (Cuadrado) we already had here. 8 months later, Mourinho is dumping a player we spent 26 million pounds on.

Chelsea signed a GK (Begovic) because we sold our second choice GK (Cech).
Chelsea signed a CF (Falcao) because we lost a CF (Drogba) who was old.

---------------------------------------------------------

Chelsea were plugging holes due to departures of proven talent in the first team.

Two of these big money moves were necessary because of Mourinho's wastefulness.

---------------------------------------------------------

The only position we tried to add to the team was at CB. A young up and coming CB who has capacity to become a top class CB down the road. Someone who can come in and play straight away and replace John Terry as Chelsea's leader at the back over next few seasons. Someone who along with Zouma can provide the backbone to Chelsea's defense for next 8-10 years. We went after John Stones for big money. Marquinhos for big money.

Came up empty. Nobody wanted to sell.

Ended up with that 27 year old never heard of before guy from the french league as a stop-gap 4th choice CB. I can only imagine the outrage from Arsenal fans if this happened at their club.

It happens. Just because you want something does not mean that it is available.

At the top level in football now, it is not always possible to get what you need. There is more money than talent. Most top players are already at big clubs. Most signings are either proven players who are not playing at their club or are signed as younger players before they join one of the top teams like Madrid or Barcelona and trained up. It is difficult to get proven top quality talent.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 10:11:45 AM by Who »

« Reply #143 on: September 03, 2015, 10:40:06 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I knew I could count on your insights, Who.

I guess I'm just an Arenal fan that wants the problems solved in any way possible, which is why I'd still atleast want a signing even if it's equal quality to the players we have. But everything you said are excellent points.

« Reply #144 on: September 03, 2015, 10:45:35 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

exactly ....

MU is another good example. LVG tried to sign almoste every player in Europe and he came sort every time. And now he spend a fortune out of desperation for Martial (monaco said that in the last week  MU doubled the offer!!!)  ....

Arsenal got Alexis Sanchez for a similar fee !!! An established top class player VS an unknown 19y.o.

There are a lot of teams willing to spend big money (laundry???) and this drives the prices very high. I don`t know what`s the best ... Overpay or stay put and wait ? 

i`d take Mario on wheelchair over giroud any day !!!

« Reply #145 on: September 03, 2015, 10:59:18 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

exactly ....

MU is another good example. LVG tried to sign almoste every player in Europe and he came sort every time. And now he spend a fortune out of desperation for Martial (monaco said that in the last week  MU doubled the offer!!!)  ....

Arsenal got Alexis Sanchez for a similar fee !!! An established top class player VS an unknown 19y.o.

There are a lot of teams willing to spend big money (laundry???) and this drives the prices very high. I don`t know what`s the best ... Overpay or stay put and wait ? 

i`d take Mario on wheelchair over giroud any day !!!

Fair points, but to not even sign one outfield player is probably as worse, if not worst, than spending money on a player with similar quality or an unproven player. The Martial fee is abosultely ridiculous, but at least they get a 50/50 shot of him panning out. He's got loads of potential, just not worth as much right now.

I really thought even the same quality striker would at least give a different option for Arsenal. It may not be the answer, but atleast there's one more guy we can put in in vase Giroud or Welbeck fail to score up front. Would like tonhsve that option.

And lastly, no CM signing? If Coquelin gets hurt, we're dead.

And yeah, I'd take Mandzukic over Giroud any day, twice on match day. I'd take Eden Dzeko over Giroud, who we should have at least enquired and tried to buy.

« Reply #146 on: September 03, 2015, 11:15:15 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Danny Welbeck just underwent knee surgery, and will miss time.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/20150903/danny-welbeck-undergoes-knee-surgery

This is why I'd rather sign Charlie Austin or someone even if it's the same quality than not signing anyone at all because we missed on a world class talent, DEPTH. Now were stuck with Giroud, Walcott who's so far useless in the front, and Joel Campbell, who's not a Striker.

It had been hoped he would avoid surgery but after increasing his training workload, the injury to his cartilage did not respond as well as hoped and the decision was taken last week for him to undergo surgery by a leading specialist in the field.

So Wenger knew Welbeck will go under surgery, and yet still didn't bother getting a striker. I call BS if he says there's no one available.

This is getting worse for Arsenal.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 11:21:54 AM by Yoki_IsTheName »

« Reply #147 on: September 03, 2015, 11:37:17 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
That is a bummer. I thought Welbeck's return would give them a nice lift.

No wonder they were linked to guys like Zaza over last few days. Makes sense now.

« Reply #148 on: September 03, 2015, 05:02:05 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
Simone Zaza was good enough for Juventus to sign him, champions and UCL finalist, despite having Mandzukic and Morata in their lineup (and paid €18 million to do so, might I add). They signed a lesser quality (but a good one) striker to add depth.

Juventus play with 2 forwards. They need 4 quality forwards to have required level of depth for their desired formation. They need more depth than teams who play with just one CF.

I do not see the interest in Simone Zaza. What did he have last season? 10 goals? The same the year before. He is a hard worker but not much of a goal-scorer and not so good technically. If my club paid big money for him, I'd be ticked off. His Juve manager has already tried to convince the higher ups that he isn't good enough to play for Juve and I agree. If he was available cheap, he could have made a nice stopgap 3rd choice CF behind Giroud and Welbeck but his talent does not justify spending big money on.

Morata was another unproven young player who 12 months ago Juve had to pay big money for to sign a CF. 20 million for a guy who only played minor bench role and regularly failed to take goal-scoring chances in a team that created a huge number of them. Big risk. Similar to Martial signing for Man Utd. Unproven teenager for big money. That risk looks to be paying off for Juve. I am interested to see how Morata does this season without Tevez around but Morata has been plenty impressive to date.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I should note = I hate paying big money for strikers in late 20s, early 30s. They are too old. Cost large transfer fees and huge wages. Have no resale value. The cost of acquiring them is huge.

I thought Mandzukic was a bad signing for Juve for this reason. I was very surprised Juve were willing to spend so much money on him. It goes against a lot of what they have been doing in recent years. Ditto for Jackson Martinez who is a much better CF than Mandzukic. I would have loved to have seen Arsenal sign Jackson Martinez 3 years ago (25/26 years old) but I think the time had passed for that now because he is too old for the asking price Porto were demanding.

We offered Zaza to arsenal for 30m because we knew they wouldn't pay that much for him, but at the same time 30m would have been a steal for us so it made sense to give it a shot. Not a lot of us are crazy about the Zaza signing, 18m paid in installments isn't much, especially considering we had done a lot of co own deals with Sassuolo that made us in reality spend a lot less than 18m on him. That being said a lot of us aren't crazy about getting him. Also we didn't have enough time to replace him so that contributed to the high asking price.

I liked the Mandzukic signing, he is good and didn't break the bank, also he tracks back which fits what we do and he adds experience to a young attack. He needs to be set up tho, hopefully we have enough creativity for him to shine.

The shameful part of our mercato was when we sold Vidal for too little a fee and then failed to get a top class trequartista. Hernanes is pretty good but we should be aiming higher.

Also the Coman sale was a bad deal for us, no risk for Bayern Munich.

And Real Madrid has a 30-35m recompra for Morata which put us Juve supporters in a position where we hope he is good but not good enough for Real Madrid to buy him back.

Yoki, I agree with your frustration with Arsenal. I share the same frustration with Juve.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 05:10:24 PM by Forza Juventus »
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #149 on: September 04, 2015, 04:40:41 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
Danny Welbeck just underwent knee surgery, and will miss time.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/20150903/danny-welbeck-undergoes-knee-surgery

This is why I'd rather sign Charlie Austin or someone even if it's the same quality than not signing anyone at all because we missed on a world class talent, DEPTH. Now were stuck with Giroud, Walcott who's so far useless in the front, and Joel Campbell, who's not a Striker.

It had been hoped he would avoid surgery but after increasing his training workload, the injury to his cartilage did not respond as well as hoped and the decision was taken last week for him to undergo surgery by a leading specialist in the field.

So Wenger knew Welbeck will go under surgery, and yet still didn't bother getting a striker. I call BS if he says there's no one available.

This is getting worse for Arsenal.

PR nightmare for Wenger and Co. as it cements the supporters' newfound realization that there is a fundamental unwillingness at the Board level, or higher, to spend in a competitive manner.  Also demonstrates that Wenger flat-out lied to supporters about the severity of Welbeck's injury, and for a blindingly obvious reason.  ::)

Arsenal supporters and fans everywhere deserve better, IMHO. 
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 04:46:34 AM by Sixth Man »