Author Topic: If you had to go on the run/go on the lam  (Read 10715 times)

Re: If you had to run/go on the lam
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2015, 05:54:38 AM »

Offline steve

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
The first thing you would have to do is lose your cellphone, they can track you by that folks.  They also watch bank accounts so cash withdraws from ATMs would be easy to track.

I have a bug out bag.  Don't buy this one but this is what one is folks.  Everyone should have one ready as a father is my duty to protect my family and anticipate harm.

http://www.forgesurvivalsupply.com/store/p/260-Ultimate-Bug-Out-Bag.aspx?feed=Froogle&gclid=CPKjg4jRlMcCFQqsaQodsfAA7w

I made my own using an Army backpack.  Most of mine is army stuff that I have gathered that I am familiar with, knowing your gear is critical.   It works well and you should have one in case you have to evacuate an area.   You have some supplies, etc.   I am not a prepper but I do have a few months food in case of civil unrest with some bagged rice and dry beans.   This is recommended for a natural disaster, it was cheap and it has long shelf life.   If they ever quarrentine people with a superbug, you will wish you had some.  I keep about a week's worth of water.   

http://www.mnn.com/family/protection-safety/stories/bug-out-bag-what-to-pack-for-a-disaster

I also have some supplies in each of my vehicles.   I have used the first aid kits to help people in accidents, my tarp too.   I believe in being prepared after my time in the Army.   

I think Eric Randolph showed that one can evade the authorities for a while in the wilderness.   But you have to have survival skills.    That is not a problem for me.   I can make a solar still to get water in a desert, build shelters and start fires.   I think the wilderness would be your best bet.  I have some good reliable weapons that are common calibers.   That I could use to hunt or protect myself from animals.   This would not work for everyone.

I could never hide in plain sight like some of you, as I am over 6'8".  Maybe jump a semi helding north to Canada or stow away would be my best bet.   If I could get the Great Lakes since I am in Ohio.   I could use a boat to slip over.

Why do you have a few months worth of food but only a week's worth of water?

« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2015, 09:20:51 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
In this situation (where apparently I have to abandon my family and cement everyone's opinion that I'm guilty) I think I'd grab a boat, a ton of cash, and head for Cuba.

Do you own a boat, or would you try to steal one?
Steal. Even if I owned one I'd probably steal one. Make it a little less obvious I'm traveling by sea

« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2015, 09:26:09 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Also I feel like Cuba isn't quite the on the lamb destination it once was...
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2015, 09:27:33 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
The first thing you would have to do is lose your cellphone, they can track you by that folks.  They also watch bank accounts so cash withdraws from ATMs would be easy to track.

I have a bug out bag.  Don't buy this one but this is what one is folks.  Everyone should have one ready as a father is my duty to protect my family and anticipate harm.

http://www.forgesurvivalsupply.com/store/p/260-Ultimate-Bug-Out-Bag.aspx?feed=Froogle&gclid=CPKjg4jRlMcCFQqsaQodsfAA7w

I made my own using an Army backpack.  Most of mine is army stuff that I have gathered that I am familiar with, knowing your gear is critical.   It works well and you should have one in case you have to evacuate an area.   You have some supplies, etc.   I am not a prepper but I do have a few months food in case of civil unrest with some bagged rice and dry beans.   This is recommended for a natural disaster, it was cheap and it has long shelf life.   If they ever quarrentine people with a superbug, you will wish you had some.  I keep about a week's worth of water.   

http://www.mnn.com/family/protection-safety/stories/bug-out-bag-what-to-pack-for-a-disaster

I also have some supplies in each of my vehicles.   I have used the first aid kits to help people in accidents, my tarp too.   I believe in being prepared after my time in the Army.   

I think Eric Randolph showed that one can evade the authorities for a while in the wilderness.   But you have to have survival skills.    That is not a problem for me.   I can make a solar still to get water in a desert, build shelters and start fires.   I think the wilderness would be your best bet.  I have some good reliable weapons that are common calibers.   That I could use to hunt or protect myself from animals.   This would not work for everyone.

I could never hide in plain sight like some of you, as I am over 6'8".  Maybe jump a semi helding north to Canada or stow away would be my best bet.   If I could get the Great Lakes since I am in Ohio.   I could use a boat to slip over.

I'd guess because water is easier to get.  Rain alone in most of the country happens at least once a week.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2015, 09:28:33 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Does anyone know anything about those small airports for people with private plains? Maybe after hiding for a while you could force someone at guy point to fly you somewhere. But I'm not sure how far those things can go and this would seem to create another whole host of problems (what if he fights back, uses a code on the radio and what do you do with the guy once you land?)
Pilots are pretty well respected by law enforcement. I think they actually do have a secret code and the plane can go a couple hundred miles, but the second you get away he's calling the police. You'd have to kill him when he cuts the engine. However pilots sorta know their way around. He could do stuff like purposely land without the landing gear down in a busy area (stuff like that tends to draw attention and if you aren't wearing a seat belt that's a problem). She could purposely land in a busy commercial airport without permission (you're screwed). He could fly too low near something important.  He could have an emergency (wink) and run out of gas or lose oil pressure and have to land on a highway (probably not that...a tad over extreme). Land at a military base.

You're way better off trying to make best buddies with a guy and then offer him a lot of money. Your average pilot is often a pretty successful dude who is decent at dealing with people and actually likes to fly. You're almost way better off saying "The wife is driving me nuts. Let's fly to Boston and party. I'll pay for everything."

« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2015, 09:42:06 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Because the first thing you do in a crisis is fill up your bathtub.   I also have a

http://www.amazon.com/Emergency-Drinking-Water-Storage-AquaPodKit/dp/B004X7ORCS

I have two of these as well

http://www.amazon.com/LifeStraw-LSPHF017-Personal-Water-Filter/dp/B006QF3TW4

Water can't be stored as long as food folks. I would rotate water every 6 months.

« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2015, 09:51:26 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
So do you keep this in your fallout shelter?  :P
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.