Author Topic: If you had to go on the run/go on the lam  (Read 10716 times)

Re: If you had to run/go on the lam
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2015, 01:03:59 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
wait wait wait, that bag cost over 3k usd? Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2015, 08:38:59 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
My hunch would be to travel by water, following a river to the coast and going from there, or taking the mountain route, like hiking the AT.

Simple and cheap living either way, with many folks "passing through" and quickly forgotten to allow some level of blending in when getting stuff along the way to Nicaragua or wherever.

Truckers could be a help for some stretches too, but they get checked a lot.

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2015, 09:03:48 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Also I'd probably just try to emulate this guy:
http://www.gq.com/story/the-last-true-hermit

I'm thinking I might try to emulate Bruce Jenner.

(jk, jk)
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2015, 09:05:51 PM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
Has anyone done this successfully in recent memory? I guess Whitey Bulger did for a while.

I don't think Snowden counts because he was out of the country before he leaked all his stuff.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2015, 09:12:30 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Is this really "just a hypothetical"?  Or are you soliciting ideas? :o

step 1: make your way to an internet cafe and ask for tips on celticsblog
TP.....although I'm nervous about leaving a paper trail

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2015, 09:16:26 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
In this situation (where apparently I have to abandon my family and cement everyone's opinion that I'm guilty) I think I'd grab a boat, a ton of cash, and head for Cuba.

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2015, 10:36:12 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

(jk, jk)

Yeah, I'd guess it would be hard to consider yourself to be "on the lamb" when you're starring in  a reality series on E!. If you really want to go unnoticed, try and get your show on Oprah's network. I've heard that pretty much nobody watches that.

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2015, 10:39:06 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Unless you have plenty of money to back you and are disciplined enough to never come back into the country you call your attorney and workout a deal to surrender and use the court system to prove your innocence.

I'm willing to guess that I'm the only person on here that actually knows many people that were fugitives. Someone of them with lots of money, bought islands in the Bahamas to hideout and had people fly food, liquor, drugs and even hookers in to fill all the needs. Eventually they all came back to the U.S. and served their time. The only ones that I ever meet who lasted a long time and maybe (haven't talked to them in 20 years) where ones that went to Mexico and their families would go visit them and send them money but they were low level fugitives.

I wont say it's impossible but nearly.   

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2015, 11:32:21 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
Is this really "just a hypothetical"?  Or are you soliciting ideas? :o
hmmmmm...you say you are in finance and now you show an unusual level of interest in hemingway's question.

you can run but you cant hide. just give yourself up saltlover, its over.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2015, 12:18:59 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
If you had or could get a motorcycle that would be good. if a cop tres to stop you you could probably get away. And I've heard that people do run away on bikes a lot for DUIs. So even if you have a chase and get away they wouldn't necessarily think it's a fugitive just someone over the drinking limit who doesn't want to go to jail.

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2015, 01:06:11 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
TP.  Love good off-topic threads.

I'd quickly empty out my checking account, which sadly would only equal a couple grand right now.  I'd make sure to jot down any important phone numbers that I may need, then I'd throw my phone in the back of a semi at a truck stop.  I'd then take back roads up to near where I grew up in rural ND.  This may not work everywhere but North Dakota is so big and sparsely populated that even with the federal agents help could they expect to cover every road.  I'd then head up near where I grew up near the Canadian border.  I wouldn't dare try to cross right away.  But when I was in high school a few of my buddies built a pretty awesome cabin at this isolated little lake near where i grew up.  it's so small there is no road access. no house for several miles in any direction.  I'd hopefully find a store along the way where i could safely buy some supplies.  I'd then make my way up to that cabin and chill out until the coast is clear.  Since I could be spotted by locals that recognize me, I'd prolly have to try and shoot a deer or two for food.  After all the heat had died off I'd try to sneak over the boarder into Canada.

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2015, 01:07:03 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
In this situation (where apparently I have to abandon my family and cement everyone's opinion that I'm guilty) I think I'd grab a boat, a ton of cash, and head for Cuba.

Do you own a boat, or would you try to steal one?

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2015, 01:09:24 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

(jk, jk)

I don't think getting your face on a Wheaties Box is a good way to stay anonymous.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2015, 03:18:34 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
TP.  Love good off-topic threads.

I'd quickly empty out my checking account, which sadly would only equal a couple grand right now.  I'd make sure to jot down any important phone numbers that I may need, then I'd throw my phone in the back of a semi at a truck stop.  I'd then take back roads up to near where I grew up in rural ND.  This may not work everywhere but North Dakota is so big and sparsely populated that even with the federal agents help could they expect to cover every road.  I'd then head up near where I grew up near the Canadian border.  I wouldn't dare try to cross right away.  But when I was in high school a few of my buddies built a pretty awesome cabin at this isolated little lake near where i grew up.  it's so small there is no road access. no house for several miles in any direction.  I'd hopefully find a store along the way where i could safely buy some supplies.  I'd then make my way up to that cabin and chill out until the coast is clear.  Since I could be spotted by locals that recognize me, I'd prolly have to try and shoot a deer or two for food.  After all the heat had died off I'd try to sneak over the boarder into Canada.

If I was the detective looking for you I would go talk to your family, find out that you know this area, find out about that cabin and go looking there. While it might seem like an advantage to be in a place you know it's probably a really bad idea.

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2015, 03:24:32 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
Does anyone know anything about those small airports for people with private plains? Maybe after hiding for a while you could force someone at guy point to fly you somewhere. But I'm not sure how far those things can go and this would seem to create another whole host of problems (what if he fights back, uses a code on the radio and what do you do with the guy once you land?)