Author Topic: If you had to go on the run/go on the lam  (Read 10702 times)

If you had to go on the run/go on the lam
« on: August 06, 2015, 09:30:28 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
Ok, just a hypothetical, but say you were at home alone one day watching TV and the show you were watching was interrupted and something came on with your picture name and address saying you were a dangerous criminal. For this hypothetical it really doesn't matter what everyone thinks you did, there is no way anyone will believe you, you have to run.  So what would you do?

I think a good answer to this question is 2 parts. What to do right away and what to do long term. you would need a way to avoid getting captured right away and you would also need a destination.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 12:02:54 PM by Hemingway »

Re: If you had to run/go on the lam
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 09:46:19 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

As far as avoiding capture in the short term -- shaving, haircut, getting as much cash as available without making an unduly large withdrawal, the usual. Long term, if there's no way I can prove my innocence, I'm looking to flee to a non-extradition treaty country. Depends on the crime, I guess, but my impression is that is what one does in those circumstances.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 09:53:11 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Borrow a old friends car drive to Florida. Dye hair, always wear shades buy fake IDs. I figure everyone in Florida is old or a suspect for something so I'd have to be the odd one out to get singled out.

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 10:07:40 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
The first thing you would have to do is lose your cellphone, they can track you by that folks.  They also watch bank accounts so cash withdraws from ATMs would be easy to track.

I have a bug out bag.  Don't buy this one but this is what one is folks.  Everyone should have one ready as a father is my duty to protect my family and anticipate harm.

http://www.forgesurvivalsupply.com/store/p/260-Ultimate-Bug-Out-Bag.aspx?feed=Froogle&gclid=CPKjg4jRlMcCFQqsaQodsfAA7w

I made my own using an Army backpack.  Most of mine is army stuff that I have gathered that I am familiar with, knowing your gear is critical.   It works well and you should have one in case you have to evacuate an area.   You have some supplies, etc.   I am not a prepper but I do have a few months food in case of civil unrest with some bagged rice and dry beans.   This is recommended for a natural disaster, it was cheap and it has long shelf life.   If they ever quarrentine people with a superbug, you will wish you had some.  I keep about a week's worth of water.   

http://www.mnn.com/family/protection-safety/stories/bug-out-bag-what-to-pack-for-a-disaster

I also have some supplies in each of my vehicles.   I have used the first aid kits to help people in accidents, my tarp too.   I believe in being prepared after my time in the Army.   

I think Eric Randolph showed that one can evade the authorities for a while in the wilderness.   But you have to have survival skills.    That is not a problem for me.   I can make a solar still to get water in a desert, build shelters and start fires.   I think the wilderness would be your best bet.  I have some good reliable weapons that are common calibers.   That I could use to hunt or protect myself from animals.   This would not work for everyone.

I could never hide in plain sight like some of you, as I am over 6'8".  Maybe jump a semi helding north to Canada or stow away would be my best bet.   If I could get the Great Lakes since I am in Ohio.   I could use a boat to slip over.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 10:21:13 AM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 10:40:43 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Also I'd probably just try to emulate this guy:
http://www.gq.com/story/the-last-true-hermit
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 10:45:01 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
good points about getting rid of your phone right away. Also, you could never use your bank cards again. I would would also think that using a car or even being in a car would be risky. Every time I have been pulled over for even the tinniest thing the cop usually says, "ok you see ok, let me just run your ID and if there are no warrants then you are free to go."

For the short term I think I would grab any cash and supplies and head to the woods. Maybe it would be worth taking the risk to somehow get one ride to somewhere far away and somewhere you have never been and never even heard of. An extended camping trip, hike or canoe trip would be a great way to kill some time.

I'm with you Pho on the height thing. I'm only 6-2 so I don't really stick out, but if I was shorter I would consider wearing female religious garb that hides all but my eyes.

Long term I would get to Asia. I actually live in China now so, this hypothetical would be a lot different for me. Any major city that is a popular tourist destination in SE asia would be a good idea. Enough white guys (and black guys) that you could fit in and the language and cultural differences would make it harder for them to catch you if they even cared. (we think they all look the same and they think the same about us.)

The other thing is you would have to NEVER tell anyone your name and NEVER contact anyone who knows your real name.

I guess its really 3 parts (assuming you are in America) 1, laying low 2, getting out and 3 finding a place to hide long term. I could do 1 and 3 but I'm not sure about 2. Taking a flight would be a huge risk. maybe it would be possible to get a job on a boat or some how sneak on to a cruise ship.

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 10:45:02 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I'd go some place that has enough tourists that no one stands out, but enough wilderness that I could easily hide and live without much interference or human contact.  I'm thinking of a place like Branson, Missouri, Gatlinburg, Tennessee, etc.  Probably not all that difficult to find cash paying jobs without an id there as well, though you wouldn't do that right away.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 10:50:16 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
I checked out that bug out bag, not sure running around with a visible shotgun is a great idea.

If I could speak spanish better I think I'd just very slowly make my way south by land.

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 10:50:25 AM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
Ok, just a hypothetical, but say you were at home alone one day watching TV and the show you were watching was interrupted and something came on with your picture name and address saying you were a dangerous criminal. For this hypothetical it really doesn't matter what everyone thinks you did, there is no way anyone will believe you, you have to run.  So what would you do?

I think a good answer to this question is 2 parts. What to do right away and what to do long term. you would need a way to avoid getting captured right away and you would also need a destination.

This first thing I'd do is make sure to delete my post detailing what I'd do in a situation like this on, of all places, a somewhat obscure if well-loved basketball forum.

Then I'd.....
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 10:52:17 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Is this really "just a hypothetical"?  Or are you soliciting ideas? :o

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2015, 10:55:53 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
the other big thing would be if you had cash on hand or not. If you don't you'd have to think up some way to steal some money where you are not at a big risk but you get enough so you don't have to do it again. All your bank accounts would be watched and everyone you know would probably be contacted so you would be forced to steal in one way or another.

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2015, 10:58:33 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
Is this really "just a hypothetical"?  Or are you soliciting ideas? :o

step 1: make your way to an internet cafe and ask for tips on celticsblog

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2015, 11:10:07 AM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2015, 11:20:43 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
fortunately for me I have a face like many other guys so I'd just blend with the crowd.

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2015, 12:07:03 PM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62