Author Topic: Philly and Ben Simmons: The final piece?  (Read 10423 times)

Re: Philly and Ben Simmons: The final piece?
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2015, 09:12:08 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
They weren't even the worst team last year and they added Jahil and Stauskas and some ok 2nd rounders, but they expect to win the lottery. Yeah that always happens.  Great plan.

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2015, 10:01:43 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
How can that be possible when the Celts will be drafting Simmons?

Well they'll think he's the final piece leading up to the lottery. Here's how it will play out:

The Sixers finish with a record of 11-71 and the best odds in the lottery. Other teams' Owners and GMs consistently call the Sixers an embarrassment and call for rule changes to prevent prolonged tanking.

The Nets will finish with the fourth best odds after stinking it up for the whole year. We will be beyond excited about the prospect of drafting one of Brown or Ingram.

After we win our first round series and lose a heartbreaker in the second round, we will begin to really look forward to the upcoming lottery.

As the envelopes are revealed during the lottery, the Celtics logo will not be there at pick 4, but rather the 6ers logo after being jumped the maximum of three times. The Celtics receive the number one pick and Ben Simmons.

Banner 18.

In all seriousness, I don't have a great deal of animosity towards the 6ers. I think what they're doing is kind of embarrassing, and I feel for the fans, but I don't hate the organization. My post speaks more to the fact that they could be bad to an epic extent and still have just a 25% shot (at best) at securing 'the final piece.'
I like your thinking -- TP

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2015, 11:14:27 AM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
They weren't even the worst team last year and they added Jahil and Stauskas and some ok 2nd rounders, but they expect to win the lottery. Yeah that always happens.  Great plan.

Per Sixers strategy, the new big man (Okafor) will get injured and miss his rookie season. Changes everything  ;)
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2015, 02:36:54 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
How can that be possible when the Celts will be drafting Simmons?

Well they'll think he's the final piece leading up to the lottery. Here's how it will play out:

The Sixers finish with a record of 11-71 and the best odds in the lottery. Other teams' Owners and GMs consistently call the Sixers an embarrassment and call for rule changes to prevent prolonged tanking.

The Nets will finish with the fourth best odds after stinking it up for the whole year. We will be beyond excited about the prospect of drafting one of Brown or Ingram.

After we win our first round series and lose a heartbreaker in the second round, we will begin to really look forward to the upcoming lottery.

As the envelopes are revealed during the lottery, the Celtics logo will not be there at pick 4, but rather the 6ers logo after being jumped the maximum of three times. The Celtics receive the number one pick and Ben Simmons.

Banner 18.

In all seriousness, I don't have a great deal of animosity towards the 6ers. I think what they're doing is kind of embarrassing, and I feel for the fans, but I don't hate the organization. My post speaks more to the fact that they could be bad to an epic extent and still have just a 25% shot (at best) at securing 'the final piece.'

The Sixers will not be bad to an epic extent, if anything they'll look like your typical 25 win team. Good enough to catch some surprising teams off guard, bad enough to be underdogs in 90% of their match ups.

You would think so.  Their coach seems like he knows what he's doing and they've got enough talent and experience, but who knows what Hinkie will do?  Would anyone be shocked if he traded Wroten and Covington for a lottery protected pick?

Mike

Yes because Covington is probably worth way more than that.

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2015, 02:39:08 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum

That'd be a terrible plan. Thankfully for Sixers fan, that's not their plan.

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2015, 02:42:58 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

Great. Then when does the tanking stop?

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2015, 08:25:25 PM »

Offline MSceltic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 23
I think Simmons would fit really well as the ball dominant player on the Sixers. They have certainly not used there picks on guards or wings so they are bound to at some point right?

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2015, 09:46:04 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

When Hinkie's removed and another GM steps in to implement a real plan for improvement.

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2015, 09:51:29 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

When Hinkie's removed and another GM steps in to implement a real plan for improvement.
Amin Elhassin was saying that in five years the Sixers will be good and Hinkie will be at home, unemployed muttering to himself about how he put that team together.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2015, 10:03:13 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
The Sixers have a solid GM* and a solid coach already in place (much like the Celtics). What they're lacking, obviously, is a good basketball team. You don't get rid of the two sides of the triangle you already have when you've just got to focus on the last third.

*And, yes, it's a fair criticism that Hinkie hasn't constructed an actual NBA roster, so how can he be considered a good GM, but I don't think he's actually "lost" a trade (that I've seen) in terms of value exchanged. It's not like he's Billy King or something.

Also what's the deal with Ben Simmons. Is he going to be 'the guy' of the 2016 draft?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2015, 10:13:15 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
The Sixers have a solid GM* and a solid coach already in place (much like the Celtics). What they're lacking, obviously, is a good basketball team. You don't get rid of the two sides of the triangle you already have when you've just got to focus on the last third.

*And, yes, it's a fair criticism that Hinkie hasn't constructed an actual NBA roster, so how can he be considered a good GM, but I don't think he's actually "lost" a trade (that I've seen) in terms of value exchanged. It's not like he's Billy King or something.

Also what's the deal with Ben Simmons. Is he going to be 'the guy' of the 2016 draft?

It's just like Okafor was last year (i.e. it's too early to tell, he'll almost certainly be a top pick, but a better prospect could certainly come along)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2015, 10:15:05 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

A Freudian slip? lol
I'm bitter.

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2015, 10:17:17 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

It's just like Okafor was last year (i.e. it's too early to tell, he'll almost certainly be a top pick, but a better prospect could certainly come along)

Gotchya. I only pay attention to NCAA ball on pain of death, so I'm typically not aware of anyone at that level unless they're so can't miss people start drooling.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2015, 10:32:25 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Amin Elhassin was saying that in five years the Sixers will be good and Hinkie will be at home, unemployed muttering to himself about how he put that team together.
You mean after all their young players who've gotten sick of losing have played out their qualifying offer and left in free agency resulting in Hinkie's firing and the new GM using all that cap space to overpay for good talent to merge with the 1 top pick that was it in just for the money? ;)

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2015, 12:20:47 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum

You mean after all their young players who've gotten sick of losing have played out their qualifying offer and left in free agency resulting in Hinkie's firing and the new GM using all that cap space to overpay for good talent to merge with the 1 top pick that was it in just for the money? ;)

Well clearly you're basing this off of the enormous number of players who've turned down max contracts to take the qualifying offer. Reality totally supports this position.