Author Topic: Dante Exum with torn ACL?  (Read 7464 times)

Re: Dante Exum with torn ACL?
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2015, 12:20:44 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Wish Exum recovers.

But the Celts dodged a bullet by having the 76ers pick Embiid,  Jazz pick Exum. Gordon has been injured also.

Please don't jinx Smart.

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2015, 12:24:23 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
It's too late. We're doomed. DOOOOOMED.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2015, 01:27:31 AM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
could this injury be attributed to playing on an injured and not fully healed ankle? Referencing how the body compensates by putting more strain on other areas of the body.

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2015, 03:07:20 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Bradley and one of Olynyk/Sullinger for Favors? Add a pick somewheres?

Seriously though, that's really sad news for Exum. I really feel for the guys who have so much natural ability and their body fails them. Hopefully he comes back fully healthy and unit doesn't affect him long term. Unfair as it may be, the "bust" word will start to be whispered after two unproductive seasons. Look at how hard people around here rip James Young even though he's only 19 and hardly played in one season.

Nah, just trade for Hood.

For both of those guys? No way. I like Rodney Hood, but he's not at AB's level. And he's not all that much younger. He can shoot and has wing size, I could certainly see a fit here for him if we made a few moves, but you can't give up Bradley AND one of Sully or Olynyk for him. I'd considering giving the Jazz a mediocre 1st (Say, our own 2016 pick, top 10 or 12 protected)to include Hood in such a deal.

I really like Favors. I like Sully's potential too, I think he could become a really good player if he gets his act together, but Favors is just a better talent. It would suck to lose AB, but you can build a really good front court around Favors.

Yeah, I was speaking more in general terms about trading for Hood, although it's impossible to overstate the impact of white players in Utah ;), which means that Olynyk would likely have to go in any sort of transaction.  Oh darn (sarcasm) ::) ;D. I wouldn't give them any picks, though, and we can replace Bradley pretty easily in the next draft, anyway, imo.

What do you like so much about Favors?  I don't keep up with the Jazz so it's simply an honest question, although I do feel like, after 5 seasons in the league, he is what he is.  It's not that he's bad, it's just that the guys who followed him in that 2010 draft have been much better, in Cousins, Monroe, and George.  Favors was drafted third, right?  I can't remember right now.

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2015, 03:15:32 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
That's a shame. On the bright side, they're a great trading partner now. I'd love to get any of these guys (in this order): Favors, Hayward, or Hood. Turner, Bradley, and Olynyk would all fit nicely in Utah.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2015, 06:12:34 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
This stinks as I was hoping to see the Jazz young core grow together. Hope this doesn't effect that.

On the Cs side of it I wonder if this opens the door for a potential Turner for picks deal? Maybe Turner for the heavily protected OKC pick the Jazz own? Or the GS pick which should be a really late 1st?   
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2015, 06:14:16 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Wish Exum recovers.

But the Celts dodged a bullet by having the 76ers pick Embiid,  Jazz pick Exum. Gordon has been injured also.

Don't forget about Randle and Parker.

You have at this point only one of the top 7 picks from 2014 who's been completely healthy, while four of the top 7 have suffered career-threatening injuries.

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2015, 06:46:51 AM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
The Jazz might weather this OK. Exum didn't really give them a lot last season, so between Raul Neto and Bryce Cotton hopefully they can replicate Exum's contribution or even build on it. Trey Burke stinks, but at least he seemed to be reasonably productive in a sixth man role towards the end of last season.

Terrible news for Exum if it is a tear though.

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2015, 08:00:36 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2015, 08:38:46 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Actually a pretty good reminder that the C's crowding at PF or guard could disappear with just a single injury to someone. The C's were pretty lucky on that front last year.

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2015, 08:58:15 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Actually a pretty good reminder that the C's crowding at PF or guard could disappear with just a single injury to someone. The C's were pretty lucky on that front last year.

At the same point, an injury at one of our shallower positions would be that much heightened.

The good thing about our depth is that since most everyone is a capable rotation player, we can take that first injury or two.  That's why I don't share the high view (for an Eastern Conference Team) that people have of Miami, for instance.  Nice top 5, but their only bench guy who might get minutes on Boston would be Winslow, and even he might get them in part due to long-term development as opposed to short-term success.

Injuries happen to every team, every year.  We can roll with those punches very well.

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2015, 09:48:28 AM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
Bradley and one of Olynyk/Sullinger for Favors? Add a pick somewheres?

Seriously though, that's really sad news for Exum. I really feel for the guys who have so much natural ability and their body fails them. Hopefully he comes back fully healthy and unit doesn't affect him long term. Unfair as it may be, the "bust" word will start to be whispered after two unproductive seasons. Look at how hard people around here rip James Young even though he's only 19 and hardly played in one season.

Nah, just trade for Hood.

For both of those guys? No way. I like Rodney Hood, but he's not at AB's level. And he's not all that much younger. He can shoot and has wing size, I could certainly see a fit here for him if we made a few moves, but you can't give up Bradley AND one of Sully or Olynyk for him. I'd considering giving the Jazz a mediocre 1st (Say, our own 2016 pick, top 10 or 12 protected)to include Hood in such a deal.

I really like Favors. I like Sully's potential too, I think he could become a really good player if he gets his act together, but Favors is just a better talent. It would suck to lose AB, but you can build a really good front court around Favors.

Yeah, I was speaking more in general terms about trading for Hood, although it's impossible to overstate the impact of white players in Utah ;), which means that Olynyk would likely have to go in any sort of transaction.  Oh darn (sarcasm) ::) ;D. I wouldn't give them any picks, though, and we can replace Bradley pretty easily in the next draft, anyway, imo.

What do you like so much about Favors?  I don't keep up with the Jazz so it's simply an honest question, although I do feel like, after 5 seasons in the league, he is what he is.  It's not that he's bad, it's just that the guys who followed him in that 2010 draft have been much better, in Cousins, Monroe, and George.  Favors was drafted third, right?  I can't remember right now.

Fourth, I think, without looking. I'm of the opinion that we drafted a Bradley replacement this year in Terry Rozier. He's a lot like AB was coming into the league, just with better ball-handling skills and a more refined overall game. The defensive tenacity is there, the hyper-athleticism is there, the work ethic, etc. Shooting has to improve (Bradley's did too early on), but it seems to me he's AB's replacement. Can't keep Evan Turner around forever, and we need a secondary ball-handler to pair with Smart long-term, which by now we know can't be AB. I also think Bradley has some of the highest trade value on our roster for anyone not named Marcus Smart.

As for Favors, he was the youngest guy in that draft class, and has continually improved every year in the league, all the way up to being a 16-17 PPG, 8-9RPG guy with really good defense and the versatility to play the small-ball 5 (Just doesn't do it much with Gobert). More than all that though, I think we need to look at unconventional ways to acquire "star" players. Anyone who watches Favors can see that even though his production is good, there is potential for more. His physical gifts are outstanding. He's only like 23 or 24 years old. Jimmy Butler just made the leap at an older age than that. If you can get him to his ceiling, you could have a solid 20/10/2 block guy. I'd bet on him getting there a lot more than I would on bet on Sullinger getting there.

I feel the same way about a guy like Harrison Barnes. A young guy who's been in the league a few years and has been productive, but still has untapped potential. If we can combine a couple of our lesser guys for a guy like that, I'm all for it.

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2015, 10:14:46 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/04/report-dante-exum-diagnosed-with-torn-acl/

Results are in.  Bad luck for Dante.  That's a crying shame. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2015, 10:15:31 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
Man, that draft class seems snakebitten at the moment.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2015, 10:19:04 AM »

Offline bello_man09

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 249
  • "Celtic for life" REBUILD OR TANK
Wish him a speedy recovery..