Author Topic: Idea: Young for Fournier  (Read 1490 times)

Idea: Young for Fournier
« on: August 04, 2015, 03:42:54 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Evan Fournier seems like a reasonable version of what we'd like James Young to become.  He shoots 38% from 3, he is good around the rim, and he uses his length to be an okay defender.  At the same time, he seems no better than the 5th man in line for minutes in the guard-SF set behind Peyton, Oladipo, Harris, and now Hezonja.  He's on the last year of his rookie deal, so perhaps Orlando would be interested in Fournier but three years earlier in Young. 

For the Celtics, he'd provide more value than we can hope for James Young this year.  That wing position is one of our weakest and shallowest.  As a restricted free agent next year, the Celtics could keep him around long term if it makes sense, and not if it doesn't.  He turns 23 in October, so the possibility that his game grows is still there.

I know, this is not a 2-for-1 and doesn't involve trading Turner or whichever of Sully or Olynyk that you hate, but it seems like the type of move that could improve the team in the short-term while also offering a long-term option.

Thoughts?

Re: Idea: Young for Fournier
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 09:02:13 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
Works for me only because of that 3-point shooting %. Would Orlando really be interested, given how little Young has actually shown? If Orlando likes the contract control, maybe they would be.

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 12:05:03 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Oui, s'il vous plais. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 11:32:24 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Do you reside in Colorado?

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 11:54:26 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Fournier hasn't really established himself as much of a player after a few years despite playing on a team with other young players.  If I'm considering potential, Young has the advantage.  If I'm considering accomplishments in the NBA, Fournier has that advantage but seemingly only because he's been in the league longer, not because he's actually accomplished anything of note

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 02:06:04 AM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
Interesting idea, but I probably wouldn't do it. Fournier is really more of a guard. I know he's 6'7, but he's really slender, in the mold of a Reggie Miller kinda body. Not a guy who can play almost all his minutes at the 3, and he doesn't really give you something you don't already have. You can say 3pt shooting, but why have Evan Fournier if you already have and believe in RJ Hunter?

Young's value, trajectory and ceiling is a complex and debatable topic around here, but he possesses physical tools and skills Fournier doesn't have. He has the physical talent to be a scoring wing in the NBA, and a pretty good one at that. There's a reason other Gm's were saying he woulda been a top 10 pick this year, and he's only 19. Youngest guy on the whole roster. The potential is there, and the stories about him adding muscle this year sure looked true at SL. I don't wanna include him in a trade for more immediate help if it doesn't fill our hole at the 3 long term, not yet anyway.

I like the idea though, I'm all for moving Young or any of our other young guys not named Marcus for a young, improving player with the potential to do more with us. If he's in a trade with Bradley and a pick for Barnes, I might get behind that.