Author Topic: Nice article on our roster  (Read 2839 times)

Nice article on our roster
« on: August 04, 2015, 09:44:00 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Re: Nice article on our roster
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 10:16:05 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I think the article misses Rozier's immediate defensive contribution.

It also advises Turner to the bench, with Smart and Bradley still starting--but doesn't address Smart's limitations at point.

I'll also be shocked if Zeller starts.

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 11:19:41 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
https://www.numberfire.com/nba/news/5790/making-sense-of-the-current-boston-celtics-roster

it looks like SF is our weakest position perhaps

We have one of the weakest rosters in the league at that position, so yeah.

The list of true "wings" on this team is very short.  It's basically Crowder, Young, and Hunter.  Two of those guys won't be in the rotation.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 11:31:57 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Not bad .

:D

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 11:43:20 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I am not a fan of the nERD stat that seems to not be based at all by offensive rating or on/off numbers which I think are the two most important stats.

Crowder's efficiency wasn't great but the team performed much better when he was on the floor. The same is true of Smart.

I'm not sure Zeller should start and I'm not even sure he will be in the rotation if everyone is healthy. I'd honestly rather see Sully and Johnson starting, with Lee and Kelly in an offensive first, second unit.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 12:00:19 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
https://www.numberfire.com/nba/news/5790/making-sense-of-the-current-boston-celtics-roster

it looks like SF is our weakest position perhaps

We have one of the weakest rosters in the league at that position, so yeah.

The list of true "wings" on this team is very short.  It's basically Crowder, Young, and Hunter.  Two of those guys won't be in the rotation.

The thing with Brad's system, and small ball in general-- is that your SF is just another shooting guard.  Like Evan Turner, or Smart when he's on the floor with Thomas. 

Also, you are leaving PJ3 off your list, a guy Ainge went out and got specifically for his ability to cover 4 positions on defense.  Between he, Crowder and Jerebko -- we've got some decent options. 

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 12:15:16 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

The thing with Brad's system, and small ball in general-- is that your SF is just another shooting guard.  Like Evan Turner, or Smart when he's on the floor with Thomas. 

Also, you are leaving PJ3 off your list, a guy Ainge went out and got specifically for his ability to cover 4 positions on defense.  Between he, Crowder and Jerebko -- we've got some decent options.

A few things:

- Playing a shooting guard at SF doesn't mean that guy can actually defend forwards, or switch onto big men. 

- I continue to be mystified that people think PJ3 is going to be on the roster this year, let alone a part of the rotation.  PJ3 is a "swing," anyway.  So is Jerebko.

- I like Jerebko, but I hope he doesn't spend much time at the 3.  Doesn't play to his strengths at all.

Brad Stevens uses four classifications for players: guard, wing, swing, big.  The rotation right now projects to have four, maybe five guards, one wing, four or five bigs, and maybe one swing if Brad extends the rotation.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 12:17:14 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
I like the analysis in the article, but trying to predict the starting lineup based on the archaic five positions shows that writer doesn't really understand how the C's play under Stevens. 

Brad said it himself in summer league, he organizes his players into one of four roles; points/wings/swings/bigs (small + power = swing).  Hence our signing of guys like Crowder, Jerebko and PJ3. 

In my opinion, our biggest gap is on the wing.  Despite all our guards, we don't have a knock-down 3pt shooter. 

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 12:17:50 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

- I continue to be mystified that people think PJ3 is going to be on the roster this year, let alone a part of the rotation.

why does this mystify you?

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 12:21:12 PM »

Offline Joe Green

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 25

A few things:

- Playing a shooting guard at SF doesn't mean that guy can actually defend forwards, or switch onto big men. 

- I continue to be mystified that people think PJ3 is going to be on the roster this year, let alone a part of the rotation.  PJ3 is a "swing," anyway.  So is Jerebko.

- I like Jerebko, but I hope he doesn't spend much time at the 3.  Doesn't play to his strengths at all.

Brad Stevens uses four classifications for players: guard, wing, swing, big.  The rotation right now projects to have four, maybe five guards, one wing, four or five bigs, and maybe one swing if Brad extends the rotation.

I did an "in depth" analysis of our best lineups (check it out if you have a few..)

JJ is a plus player at every position, but really shines at PF and even Center.

ET is a statistical nightmare. He stuffs the stat sheet, but we lose when he is on the floor.

I would say, Crowder is our only effective SF right now, and even he is better as a PF.

We need to try and trade for Demarr Derozan. AB+ET+Sully+Pick works...

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 12:26:07 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
The rotation right now projects to have four, maybe five guards, one wing, four or five bigs, and maybe one swing if Brad extends the rotation.

I think you might be confusing guard and wing.  I would say we only have Thomas, Smart and Rozier who can actually play point.  Turner I guess...but he's better off on the wing.  Bradley as well, who has no business bringing the ball up the floor.  Hopefully this Hunter kid can step in, honestly I've lost hope for Young...

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 12:28:07 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

I expect one of our bigs to be moved in training camp once a player from another team gets injured.

I predict that at some point in the season PJ3 will get rotation minutes. Since we are so thin at the 3 (or the swing position whichever you prefer) I think they end up making room for him by trading a big for a pick.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2015, 01:04:37 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I expect one of our bigs to be moved in training camp once a player from another team gets injured.

I predict that at some point in the season PJ3 will get rotation minutes. Since we are so thin at the 3 (or the swing position whichever you prefer) I think they end up making room for him by trading a big for a pick.

You think it's more likely that the Celts dump somebody like Sullinger, Olynyk, or Zeller for a pick -- probably a mid to late 1st rounder -- than that they cut a tweener forward who may or may not be an NBA rotation player?
- Mark Twain

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2015, 01:06:13 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
The rotation right now projects to have four, maybe five guards, one wing, four or five bigs, and maybe one swing if Brad extends the rotation.

I think you might be confusing guard and wing.  I would say we only have Thomas, Smart and Rozier who can actually play point.  Turner I guess...but he's better off on the wing.  Bradley as well, who has no business bringing the ball up the floor.  Hopefully this Hunter kid can step in, honestly I've lost hope for Young...

I count Turner and Bradley as guards, yes.  Turner cannot guard forwards, nor does he do much scoring in the paint.  The same applies to Bradley.

I classify players based on the positions on the floor I believe they can guard without being abused, and the role they are best suited to play in the offense.

What makes a player a swing, for example, is that they can guard both wings and bigs and fill a role on offense similar to a wing or a big, depending on the situation.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2015, 02:04:33 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

A few things:

I did an "in depth" analysis of our best lineups (check it out if you have a few..)

JJ is a plus player at every position, but really shines at PF and even Center.

ET is a statistical nightmare. He stuffs the stat sheet, but we lose when he is on the floor.

I would say, Crowder is our only effective SF right now, and even he is better as a PF.

We need to try and trade for Demarr Derozan. AB+ET+Sully+Pick works...

I think folks could be surprised by the playing time that JJ gets, at least after the trading deadline.