Author Topic: Lee "the days of putting a bunch of jerks on the same team are over"  (Read 8277 times)

Re: Lee "the days of putting a bunch of jerks on the same team are over"
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2015, 04:14:09 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
It seems like a subtle dig at Bron's teams.....I like it
first thing that came to my mind too, ha

I can't say I understand how Lebron's teams had jerks. Maybe if him and wade are/were viewed this way, but didn't think anyone else on his heat or cavs teams had jerk reputations. Who are you guys thinking of?

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2015, 04:15:45 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes

I can't say I understand how Lebron's teams had jerks. Maybe if him and wade are/were viewed this way, but didn't think anyone else on his heat or cavs teams had jerk reputations. Who are you guys thinking of?
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/jerk

The second one applies here on cb  ;)
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2015, 04:23:09 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I'm sure he wants to team up with

Mello , Kobe and LeBron then   ;D

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2015, 05:23:39 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

From a Boston herald article. David Lee sees a lot of similarities between the Celtics and Warrior's.
 He went on to say they're building here with character guys, guys that fit into the system they want to run. That's the way to do it now. I love how they're doing things here.
 Great to hear David Lee and this validates a previous thread from a Celts blog genius. Let's build Warrior's East side.
 Way to go Danny keep it up.
I don't recall making that thread.  ;)
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2015, 06:01:46 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
so if Lee is comparing this team to the Warriors, where does he fit in?

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2015, 06:09:07 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

From a Boston herald article. David Lee sees a lot of similarities between the Celtics and Warrior's.
 He went on to say they're building here with character guys, guys that fit into the system they want to run. That's the way to do it now. I love how they're doing things here.
 Great to hear David Lee and this validates a previous thread from a Celts blog genius. Let's build Warrior's East side.
 Way to go Danny keep it up.
I don't recall making that thread.  ;)
Be careful Danny: 205 posts more and you will be GM no more :P

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2015, 06:25:39 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

usually we call it confirmation bias.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2015, 07:05:46 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!
I'm sure he wants to team up with

Mello , Kobe and LeBron then   ;D

he would get a ring...

actually i would like to see..maybe few years down the line...the next big 3..
but not right now..Silver would shut it down

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2015, 01:51:02 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I'm not sure I follow (nor do I think that is what Lee was referencing).
Maybe not. What do you think he was referencing? The Knicks?
Not sure what knick teams Lee was on but yeah, in general, recent knick teams have been fairly jerkish.  Besides, if he were talking about a Lebron type team, then Lee would be wrong.  Those teams will continue to get built as long as the players are willing to come together.

So most likely, lee was speaking from experience.

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2015, 02:22:28 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

I think a fair argument can be made for Lebron, Kevin Love, Kyrie Irving, Kendrick Perkins and JR Smith.

Lebron is a great player, but I don't think I need to point out his past events that indicate he is a jerk - I think we all know what they are.

Love forced a trade from Minnesota, blamed the franchise after he couldn't lead them to the playoffs, then complained about how hard it is to play with Lebron when he got to Cleveland.

Irving I don't know too much of, but I do remember him on team USA as a rookie boasting about how he'd beat Kobe in a 1-on-1.  Very jerky thing to say as a rookie about a guy who has multiple championships and will go down in history as one of the NBA's all time greats - there is a difference between swagger and straight up disrespect.

Perkins has always been known to be a Jerk, we just liked him because he was a Jerk to the opponents (not to us). 

JR Smith is the worlds purest definition of a Jerk.

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2015, 02:30:17 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
JR tips that scale for me... worse than any one player in bball, imo.

For context, I found Artest to be very likeable...
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2015, 03:46:04 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
so if Lee is comparing this team to the Warriors, where does he fit in?

As a leader and mentor. No joke, I think he played a major locker room presence in having that team come together, which is why guys like Klay Thompson were sad to see him go.

...or maybe he'll be our Draymond Green ;D
- LilRip

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2015, 08:56:52 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

I think a fair argument can be made for Lebron, Kevin Love, Kyrie Irving, Kendrick Perkins and JR Smith.

Lebron is a great player, but I don't think I need to point out his past events that indicate he is a jerk - I think we all know what they are.

Love forced a trade from Minnesota, blamed the franchise after he couldn't lead them to the playoffs, then complained about how hard it is to play with Lebron when he got to Cleveland.

Irving I don't know too much of, but I do remember him on team USA as a rookie boasting about how he'd beat Kobe in a 1-on-1.  Very jerky thing to say as a rookie about a guy who has multiple championships and will go down in history as one of the NBA's all time greats - there is a difference between swagger and straight up disrespect.

Perkins has always been known to be a Jerk, we just liked him because he was a Jerk to the opponents (not to us). 

Lee clearly isn't talking about crappy role players like Perkins and Smith though.  Those guys don't make very much money and will always find teams to play on.

I don't find James to be a jerk at all.  Whiner/Complainer, sure, but jerk, not so much.  In fact, James genuinely seems like a pretty good dude.  He is never in trouble off the court or on it for that matter.  He isn't starting scuffles, he doesn't cheap shot, etc. 

Love is a bit jerky, but he then re-signed long term and in the process cost himself a lot of future money to play on a team where he is the 3rd guy.  Not exactly a jerky move.

Irving isn't a jerk at all.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2015, 09:45:37 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I don't find James to be a jerk at all.  Whiner/Complainer, sure, but jerk, not so much.  In fact, James genuinely seems like a pretty good dude.  He is never in trouble off the court or on it for that matter.  He isn't starting scuffles, he doesn't cheap shot, etc. 

yeah, the decision was very classy.

The television program drew high ratings, with Nielsen announcing that an average of 9.948 million people watched the show in the United States, with 13.1 million watching at the time of James' announcement. Cleveland topped all markets with a 26.0 Nielsen rating and 39 share.[4][12] The show's Nielsen ratings were 6.1 in households, and 4.1 in 18-49, making it the most watched cable show of the night.[13]

The show drew criticism for the prolonged wait until James' actual decision and the spectacle of the show itself.[4] The phrase "taking my talents to South Beach" became a punch line for critics.[14][15]

In Cleveland, fans considered James' departure a betrayal that ranks second to The Move, Art Modell's relocation of the Cleveland Browns to Baltimore.[16] Associated Press wrote that The Decision joined The Move, The Drive, The Shot, and The Fumble in "Cleveland's sports hall of shame".[6] Cleveland Cavaliers majority owner Dan Gilbert almost immediately wrote an open letter to fans published in Comic Sans typeface on the Cavs website, denouncing James' decision as a "selfish", "heartless", "callous", and "cowardly betrayal", while guaranteeing that the Cavs would win an NBA title before the "self-declared former King".[17][18][19] Gilbert's sports-memorabilia company Fathead also lowered the price of wall graphics depicting James from $99.99 to $17.41, the birth year of Benedict Arnold.[20] William Rhoden of The New York Times defended James by stating that Gilbert's "venomous, face-saving personal attack", along with the ensuing "wrath of jersey-burning fans", only validated James’ decision to leave Cleveland.[21] Reverend Jesse Jackson, American civil rights activist, said Gilbert's feelings "personify a slave master mentality", and he was treating James as "a runaway slave".[22] J. A. Adande of ESPN said, however, that James chose to promote the drama of his decision in an hour-long television special instead of showing "common courtesy" to notify Cleveland and other teams of his plans.[23] On July 12, 2010, NBA Commissioner David Stern fined Gilbert $100,000 for the letter's contents, while also criticizing the way James handled free agency.[24] On July 14, James told J. R. Moehringer for a GQ article that there was "nothing at all" he would change about his handling of free agency.[25]

Former NBA players criticized his decision to not stay with Cleveland and continuing to try to win a championship as "the guy".[26] Michael Jordan stated that he would not have contacted his rivals from other teams like Magic Johnson and Larry Bird to play on one team together, as "I wanted to defeat those guys". Jordan added that "... things are different [now]. I can't say that's a bad thing. It's an opportunity these kids have today".[27] Johnson echoed Jordan's sentiments on teaming with rivals.[28]

On September 29, 2010, when asked by Soledad O'Brien of CNN if race was a factor in the fallout from The Decision, James said, "I think so, at times. There's always – you know, a race factor".[29] James had previously stayed clear of racial issues.[30][31] When an earlier racial controversy over his cover on Vogue became a national debate, James had no comment.[31] Two African American sports columnists criticized James for injecting race into the issue—Mike Freeman of CBSSports.com said James suddenly bringing up race in this instance was "laughable",[31] and Jason Whitlock of Foxsports.com said James' usage of the race card was "an excuse to avoid dealing with his own bad (The) Decision".[32] Adande, also African American, had a different view, saying James "didn't claim to be a victim of racial persecution" and "caused us to examine the bias that's always lurking".[30]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Decision_(TV_special)

What a good guy..

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2015, 10:10:46 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

Except for one thing; who says they are putting this kind of team together again?

Either way, makes no sense that he would be talking abou the cavs (or heat).