Author Topic: Lee "the days of putting a bunch of jerks on the same team are over"  (Read 8299 times)

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

From a Boston herald article. David Lee sees a lot of similarities between the Celtics and Warrior's.
 He went on to say they're building here with character guys, guys that fit into the system they want to run. That's the way to do it now. I love how they're doing things here.
 Great to hear David Lee and this validates a previous thread from a Celts blog genius. Let's build Warrior's East side.
 Way to go Danny keep it up.

Re: Lee "the days of putting a bunch of jerks on the same team are over"
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 11:25:28 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
we just need a top 3 NBA player and our point guard and shooting guard to be All Stars and MVP!

I get what he means though.
I think a bunch of high character guys surrounding a high character superstar or two is what he meant to say.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 11:38:54 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
It seems like a subtle dig at Bron's teams.....I like it

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 11:41:29 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
we just need a top 3 NBA player and our point guard and shooting guard to be All Stars and MVP!

I think a bunch of high character guys surrounding a high character superstar or two is what he meant to say.

Yeah or maybe even just like one good 3-point shooter.

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 01:30:04 AM »

Offline DarkAzcura

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 100

Curry just made his first all star team the season before this one, and in the previous season to his first all star selection he was coming off a ~15 PPG season where his ankles fell apart. Absolutely no one thought Curry would be this good. Don't think anyone on this roster can ever match his pure shooting (which he had from day one), but he was far from a sure thing. Curry and Thompson obviously help make that system incredibly strong, but those two wouldn't be as highly recognized without the system either. Chicken before the egg or egg before the chicken kind of argument.

I get what you mean, though, also.

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 01:31:14 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

It's a good foundation though.

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 01:43:01 AM »

Offline redrobot

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 4
Curry just made his first all star team the season before this one, and in the previous season to his first all star selection he was coming off a ~15 PPG season where his ankles fell apart. Absolutely no one thought Curry would be this good. Don't think anyone on this roster can ever match his pure shooting (which he had from day one), but he was far from a sure thing. Curry and Thompson obviously help make that system incredibly strong, but those two wouldn't be as highly recognized without the system either. Chicken before the egg or egg before the chicken kind of argument.

I get what you mean, though, also.

To be fair there was a good amount of coaching turnover in GS as well. And while you can credit the system for their success, it could be just as valid to credit Kerr with implementing a system that took full advantage of their abilities.

All of which falls in with the egg and chicken and egg loops you submit.

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 02:32:31 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Total throwing shade at Lebron. Love it.

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 04:29:48 AM »

Offline Iggzilla

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 8
Spurs have been doing this since forever. Outside of Stephen Jackson and Bruce Bowen, they've always refrained from signing talented knuckleheads throughout the Tim Duncan era, instead opting for high-character guys who will work hard and play within the system. As a result, they won five championships. I'm glad Ainge and Stevens are following this blueprint, and hopefully it yields the same (or better) results for us.

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 02:36:47 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
 Yeah the Steven Jackson signing came out of left field. He looked great there in his short stint.

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 02:51:04 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I'm not sure I follow (nor do I think that is what Lee was referencing).

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 03:23:07 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I'm not sure I follow (nor do I think that is what Lee was referencing).
Maybe not. What do you think he was referencing? The Knicks?

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2015, 03:42:11 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

From a Boston herald article. David Lee sees a lot of similarities between the Celtics and Warrior's.
 He went on to say they're building here with character guys, guys that fit into the system they want to run. That's the way to do it now. I love how they're doing things here.
 Great to hear David Lee and this validates a previous thread from a Celts blog genius. Let's build Warrior's East side.
 Way to go Danny keep it up.
I'd be grateful for a link  :)

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2015, 03:47:20 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Spurs have been doing this since forever. Outside of Stephen Jackson and Bruce Bowen, they've always refrained from signing talented knuckleheads throughout the Tim Duncan era, instead opting for high-character guys who will work hard and play within the system. As a result, they won five championships. I'm glad Ainge and Stevens are following this blueprint, and hopefully it yields the same (or better) results for us.

Agree with your point although I would say that despite Bowen's borderline dirty play, he did work hard and play within the system. Guy really developed his 3 ball as he got older.

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2015, 04:02:48 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
first thing that came to my mind too, ha
I trust Danny Ainge