Author Topic: What would it take to get Noel at the deadline?  (Read 13725 times)

Re: What would it take to get Noel at the deadline?
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2015, 08:09:39 PM »

Offline ahonui06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 27
  You can add Gasol/Randolph to your list of examples.

That's a phenomenally high bar.  I don't think people realize how difficult it is to combine that level of skill, toughness, and strength in a frontcourt.  Even so, the Grizzlies struggle mightily to score much of the time.

Truly is baffling that Memphis refuses to sign perimeter shooters or even draft. They continue to draft hard-nosed wings with defensive tenacity but extremely limited range.

« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2015, 08:38:19 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Regarding Okafor and Noel playing together, how about McHale and Parrish?

No, I don't think either will available at the trade deadline.

« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2015, 08:43:16 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Regarding Okafor and Noel playing together, how about McHale and Parrish?

No, I don't think either will available at the trade deadline.

They're nowhere near as skilled as them and I don't they'll ever reach their level.

« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2015, 08:57:07 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Noel is coming to us in free agency, unless Philly is a contender then, I wager.   He grew up and loves the C's.

« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2015, 09:05:02 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
Noel isn't going anywhere. They're just collecting assets now with little concern of fit. Unless you're trading a similarly valued young player in return that fits one of their needs, they have no reason to bite. For example, they've long coveted a versatile wing player with star potential. A Jabari Parker or Andrew Wiggins would get the deal done. Even after they pay noel on his second deal with their massive amount of cap space, he will still be a tradeable commodity since he's a defensive big man and those don't grow on trees.

« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2015, 09:11:30 PM »

Offline Robert24

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
Noel is coming to us in free agency, unless Philly is a contender then, I wager.   He grew up and loves the C's.
Wow, I didn't know that.

Come home, Noel!!!

« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2015, 09:13:26 PM »

Offline ahonui06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 27
Wow, I didn't know that.

Come home, Noel!!!

Noel to Boston would be ideal since Celtics are in desperate need of a rim protector but there is no way Philadelphia would let him walk in free agency, especially with the uncertainty surrounding Embiid's career. Not to mention Philadelphia can offer Noel an additional year and millions of more dollars.

« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2015, 09:13:42 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
question is: what's the proposed timeline for the trade?  seems like the end of season.  if so, it would depend on how our own youth movement developed, how Noel develops and how our draft picks are looking for next year and how the players available at those draft slots are looking.

« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2015, 09:26:31 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
In regards to what it would take, the answer is whatever it would take. Within reason, I can't imagine a combination of our assets that I wouldn't trade for Noel.

The home grown aspect. The fact that he's realistically attainable. I became a Celtics fan in the KG era. I miss the forced 24/7 shot clock violations, the constant mid range jumpers that we would see clanking off our baskets. the frustration leading to bad shots at key moements from the Lamar Odoms and Andray Blatches of the world.

Won't allow myself to get my hopes up but I'd sell the farm for Noel and I'd hope Danny would too.

Depends on how our rooks progress.
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2015, 10:48:25 PM »

Offline oldutican

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 12
It depends on how Rozier, Mickey, Hunter & Young look as season goes on. If they show they have it, Philly may have interest, and Celtics know if they can give up Smart. Each of those players (if they look good) fit in 76ers needs and plans. And of course we have picks.

« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2015, 11:19:21 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
Philly might be the team that values our picks the most. Thy can't win now so they don't want a Sully or AB. Maybe some collection of picks could get it done. They could be a good trading partner as we kind of need to be getting into win now mode while they want to tank for a few more years.

« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2015, 11:30:39 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Looking at Philly's roster, I'd say they'd be interested in picks and young guards.

If Rozier looks good after his rookie season or his sophomore year, I could see them asking for something like:

2018 Brooklyn pick+
Rozier+
Hunter.

I love those two rookies and it would be hard to pull the trigger- but I think that's what they ask for because they know that if Smart becomes a legitimate top 40-50 NBA player in the next year or two, Rozier probably has less of a future with us.

Good thing for us is that Ultimately we could sign Noel as a free agent in about 5 years time, just as Noel, Smart, Hunter, Rozier all enter their primes.  Noel wants to be a Celtic one day and that's a very important factor in Danny's future planning.

"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2015, 11:39:27 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
Brooklyn would have to be really bad, making the 2016 pick look like a very high pick, or Marcus Smart would have to be playing great. Hopefully both happen and we can trade the pick for Nerlens.
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2015, 12:56:44 AM »

Offline redrobot

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 4
The market will dictate what Noel is worth, if Philly is interested in moving him. Who else has high picks they would be willing to part with?

Dealing any of the Brooklyn picks before knowing where they fall is unlikely IMO. If they land in the top 3 they are way more valuable than Noel. And if the Nets look like they will make the playoffs, their pre-draft value will plummet.

I say go after Noel if you can get him for change on the dollar, but don't give up any potential lottery picks for someone else's failed project.

Sure he'd be a nice addition, but is he going to be a huge difference make here? I don't see it, at least not right away, anyway.

« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2015, 01:19:52 AM »

Offline DarkAzcura

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 100
I'd be surprised if they trade him. The Okafor + Noel pairing would have to be an utter disaster for them to give up on it quickly. Noel had a really special defensive rookie year. Typically I think counting stats are kind of overrated, but it is incredibly rare to have a player who can potentially average 2 steals and 2 blocks a game. Noel averaged 1.8 steals per game and 1.9 blocks per game in ~31 MPG. Only three players (well since blocks and steals were recorded at least) in NBA history were able to produce that kind of steal + block rate production in one package. Robinson. Hakeem. Noel. Noel will obviously never be that caliber of offensive player, but his defensive potential is seriously special.

http://bkref.com/tiny/qH59I