Author Topic: What would it take to get Noel at the deadline?  (Read 13738 times)

What would it take to get Noel at the deadline?
« on: August 03, 2015, 04:28:50 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Scenario:

Jahlil Okafor is leading the pack for rookie of the year, putting up double doubles and generally giving Philly fans hope for the future.

Neither Okafor nor Noel shows any sign of developing good NBA range.  Indeed, lineups with both on the floor are near the bottom of the league in offensive productive despite Okafor's skill in the paint.  Noel's attempts to play at the 4 have led to him averaging below 45% from the field.  However, whenever Noel is playing at the 5 with a rangier player at the 4, he shoots over 50% and the team defends at top 10 levels.

On top of this, Embiid's rehab is going well and there is talk about him possibly taking the court before the season is over.

Question:

In this scenario, or a similar one, what would it take for the Celtics to pull off a trade for Noel?  Adding a young defensive center with Marcus Camby upside to this roster could be a huge step toward assembling a long term core structure for the team.

Can it be done without trading Marcus Smart?  It seems to me at least one of the Nets' picks would have to be in play.  What about Bradley + Sullinger (or Olynyk) and a couple of 1sts?
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: What would it take to get Noel at the deadline?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 04:33:06 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I heard around the draft that the trade rumors of Noel for Smart swap had to do with the Sixers/Noel looking to move on from each other.

With that information framing my opinion, I think that we could get him without dealing Smart and for that matter if we were willing to deal Smart for Noel, Noel would already be back in Boston.

I think if the C's were willing to give up a Brooklyn pick it might be enough to get Noel at the deadline if it looks like there is a chance it could be a top 5 pick.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 04:35:21 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I think it would depend on how the Nets are doing.  If they're having a horrible season (Lopez gets injured, etc.), and look like a lock for a pick in the top half of the lottery, then a Noel-for-Nets-pick framework could be possible. 

The question then is, do we trade a chance at Simmons for Noel?  I doubt it, but if the pick falls around #5, Embiid starts playing late in the season and seems like a good fit, and we don't like the players available with our pick, a draft day trade is a definite possibility
I'm bitter.

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 04:36:53 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I heard around the draft that the trade rumors of Noel for Smart swap had to do with the Sixers/Noel looking to move on from each other.

With that information framing my opinion, I think that we could get him without dealing Smart and for that matter if we were willing to deal Smart for Noel, Noel would already be back in Boston.

I think if the C's were willing to give up a Brooklyn pick it might be enough to get Noel at the deadline if it looks like there is a chance it could be a top 5 pick.

I'd happily do Bradley + Sullinger / Olynyk + BRK 2016 + BOS 2016 to get him.  I'd be willing to throw in James Young and take back a guy like Covington or Hollis Thompson, if they wanted to gamble on Young's upside.

I think that trade would immediately improve both teams.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 04:42:12 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

I'd happily do Bradley + Sullinger / Olynyk + BRK 2016 + BOS 2016 to get him.  I'd be willing to throw in James Young and take back a guy like Covington or Hollis Thompson, if they wanted to gamble on Young's upside.

I don't think they would have any interest in Olynyk Sullinger or Bradley because none of those players fit their timeline. I think they would want strictly picks and players with high upside.

In general though, I think that is a realistic package (if we moved some of those players for more picks we could deal Philly)

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 04:44:52 PM »

Offline markb

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3

[/quote]

I think that's way too much for noel.   Bradley + Brooklyn or boston 2016 is quite enough

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 04:45:34 PM »

Offline markb

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
maybe throw in KO too, but not two first rounders.

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 04:45:52 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I don't think they would have any interest in Olynyk Sullinger or Bradley because none of those players fit their timeline. I think they would want strictly picks and players with high upside.

Yeah, you might be right.  I just wonder at what point they're going to decide that in order to actually grow the higher upside players they've got they will need to start fielding a team with some actual NBA players.  Okafor looks like a future star to me, but I think they'll need to surround him with shooters to get the best from him.  The Celts can offer competent floor spacers like Bradley and Olynyk who are still relatively young and cost controlled.

Even if that's not the case, I think we could offer something like Rozier + Young + BRK 2016 plus another 1st rounder -- ideally not the Dallas pick or one of the other Nets picks.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 04:49:38 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Scenario:

Jahlil Okafor is leading the pack for rookie of the year, putting up double doubles and generally giving Philly fans hope for the future.

Neither Okafor nor Noel shows any sign of developing good NBA range.  Indeed, lineups with both on the floor are near the bottom of the league in offensive productive despite Okafor's skill in the paint.  Noel's attempts to play at the 4 have led to him averaging below 45% from the field.  However, whenever Noel is playing at the 5 with a rangier player at the 4, he shoots over 50% and the team defends at top 10 levels.

On top of this, Embiid's rehab is going well and there is talk about him possibly taking the court before the season is over.

Question:

In this scenario, or a similar one, what would it take for the Celtics to pull off a trade for Noel?  Adding a young defensive center with Marcus Camby upside to this roster could be a huge step toward assembling a long term core structure for the team.

Can it be done without trading Marcus Smart?  It seems to me at least one of the Nets' picks would have to be in play.  What about Bradley + Sullinger (or Olynyk) and a couple of 1sts?
What is Philly's record?  How do their other young players look?  Need to know that to know what they might be interested in and if the trade can be done without Smart.  I do think at least 1 Brooklyn pick would need to be included.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 04:54:28 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

Yeah, you might be right.  I just wonder at what point they're going to decide that in order to actually grow the higher upside players they've got they will need to start fielding a team with some actual NBA players.  Okafor looks like a future star to me, but I think they'll need to surround him with shooters to get the best from him.  The Celts can offer competent floor spacers like Bradley and Olynyk who are still relatively young and cost controlled.

Even if that's not the case, I think we could offer something like Rozier + Young + BRK 2016 plus another 1st rounder -- ideally not the Dallas pick or one of the other Nets picks.
I think that time will be the 2016-2017 season.

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 05:15:02 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I think they'll give it 2-3 years with N.Noel and J.Okafor before deciding whether they can or cannot play together.

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2015, 05:22:36 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
Realistically the only thing they'll accept from us is Marcus Smart and/or Draft picks as they have no interest in players who will make them better now. Maybe some of this year's picks or James Young if they make a big leap by mid-season.

This is entirely contextual depending on how the Brooklyn pick is doing so it's hard to say. If Brooklyn is languishing near the bottom of the league their pick alone is probably worth more than Noel.  If they're in playoff contention I'd gladly do something that involves both our pick and theirs.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2015, 05:41:04 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
I've always been in favor of getting Noel, even if it meant overpaying because of the sheer volume of draft assets that we have. Hinkie will of course ask for Smart and the Brooklyn 2016 pick. At that point, the Celtics would say no. Like another poster said, Philly is not at the point of team building. They are looking for stars or potential stars, not guys like Olynyk or Bradley. Our strategy of combining 1st round picks to move way up in the draft has proven to be a total fail. Do we want to bring in another bunch of young players next year like we have done this year? Why not just offer Young, the expiring Turner contract and all four of our definite or potential 1st round picks next year for Noel? It's a lot to give up but that's what our original plan was: to use draft assets to acquire a star or potential star and not to draft 5 or 6 players each year, like we were rebuilding an NFL franchise.

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2015, 05:48:20 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I think they'll give it 2-3 years with N.Noel and J.Okafor before deciding whether they can or cannot play together.

How long do they really have to wait and see, though?  Neither of them looks anything like a modern power forward.  Noel is somewhere between Marcus Camby and Tyson Chandler in terms of how he plays.  Okafor is skilled but doesn't appear to have any range.  Neither is a reliable free throw shooter.

Noel's value may only go down if they try to integrate him with Okafor, especially if Embiid take the floor anytime soon and also earns significant time.  Okafor's develop will be helped a lot but playing next to quick defenders with range on the offensive end.

If I were Philly, I'd want to sell high on Noel before his or Okafor's development is hindered, and before I'm put in a position where I NEED to trade Noel, because that would hurt his trade value further.

When is Saric coming over, anyway, next year?  I'd probably want to clear the deck at the 4 before he does.  Saric at the 4 and Okafor / Embiid at the 5 is the hope for that franchise.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2015, 06:08:40 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
What will it take? A miracle.