Author Topic: Salary Craziness  (Read 1358 times)

Salary Craziness
« on: August 03, 2015, 04:05:54 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
We keep hoping Danny makes some good trades and/or finds a way to sign big-name free agents. His goal is to make the team competitive for years to come and to win another Championship.

Before we get there we have to wonder how is Danny going to find a way to pay the salaries of the current players when their contracts expire?  Specifically, Kelly O, Tyler Z, Jared S, and Evan Turner.  I'm not expecting Amir Johnson or David Lee to be resigned.  But, who knows what the future holds for them being in a Celtics uniform. 

Will the Celtics be able to afford to keep these players or will Danny continue his efforts to trade away assets?  My feeling is KO, TZ, JS and ET are going to expect at least as much as Jae Crowder to stick around.   http://www.spotrac.com/nba/boston-celtics/jae-crowder/ 

When will the craziness end?  Sure, Jae is a decent player, but $7 million/year?  Can you imagine the other players I listed above making that much or more?  The argument/reasoning might be to either trade them away or let them walk.  Is this really a good option if one wants to stay competitive?

Yes, the salary cap is going up next year.  Does that mean you keep paying role players in the $7-10 million/year range just because that's what the market calls for? 

It seems more and more teams are trading away these types of players  or letting them go when the economics call for it.  For example, the Kings traded away David Lee even though he basically turned the tide against Cleveland when inserted into the lineup during their Championship run.  Other examples, Celtics not resigning Bass, Dragic and P Jones released, Tyler Hansborough, Ty Lawson, etc. 

If I were a Celtic team owner I doubt I would be sold on the idea of signing all these players to these types of contracts.  There has to be a limit to this madness.  Isn't there a point of diminishing returns?  Imagine having these big salaries and the team doesn't even make the playoffs.

It seems like the Celtics are in a Catch 22 situation in that if they don't resign these players, then they may be stuck with D-League substitutes much like Philly used over the past few years.  Maybe that's one reason Danny keeps stockpiling all these draft picks? 

Re: Salary Craziness
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 04:17:14 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Honestly, I don't think any of the players you are concerned in keeping will automatically be locked up (contract-wise, that is).  It would not shock me to see Sully or KO gone after they expire.  It would shock me if we resigned Turner and Zeller.

So at the end of the day, we may keep one or two of them but we will not break the bank to try and resign all of them, that's for sure.

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 04:21:39 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Worry less about the dollar amount, worry more about the salary as a percentage of the cap.

In a couple year's time, Jae Crowder will be making less than 10% of the salary cap.  Not worried at all about his salary.

I doubt Ainge will attempt to sign Sullinger, Olynyk, Zeller, and ET to long term deals beyond their current contracts.

My guess is one of Sully or Olynyk, possibly both, gets used in a trade.  Zeller may or may not be re-signed.  I hope he is, as I think it's hard to find solid, productive young centers who can give you 25 quality minutes whether or not they start.  ET should be gone before the season starts, but we might have to wait until next summer to see him sign elsewhere.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 04:52:41 PM »

Offline ahonui06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 27
Worry less about the dollar amount, worry more about the salary as a percentage of the cap.

Precisely this. With the exponential jumps the cap is poised to take it won't be a big deal for the dollar amount. IT4 and Crowder will have extremely affordable deals in the upcoming years.

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 05:02:54 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

In a couple year's time, Jae Crowder will be making less than 10% of the salary cap.  Not worried at all about his salary.

In fact, Crowder is already making less than 10% of the cap (only 9.7%).  Next year he'll only make 7% of the cap, and the following year 6.3% of the cap (given current cap projections, which are likely low for next year).

But yes, cap percentage is a much better gauge.  As the cap rises, players salaries as a group will inherently rise.

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 10:48:05 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
Honestly, I don't think any of the players you are concerned in keeping will automatically be locked up (contract-wise, that is).  It would not shock me to see Sully or KO gone after they expire.  It would shock me if we resigned Turner and Zeller.

So at the end of the day, we may keep one or two of them but we will not break the bank to try and resign all of them, that's for sure.

I'm not so certain it's a given that KO or Sully will be gone after their contracts run out.  I believe at the very least KO will be here.  He seems to be the type of player Danny really likes.  Which means he's a good passer, a decent shooter from 3 and he's a 7 footer.  Hasn't Danny been chasing players like this from day 1? 

Turner and Zeller both gone?  Who is going to mind the fort?  Are you suggesting Danny will reverse course and start tanking?  Turner and Zeller are the more consistent players on offense.  Tyler was off the charts in shooting during the last part of the season.  Do you think he will simply trade away these players for future assets?  Keep in mind, neither Danny or Brad has shown a willingness to tank.  Thus, just tossing these players to the side seems unlikely. 

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 10:53:21 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton

In fact, Crowder is already making less than 10% of the cap (only 9.7%).  Next year he'll only make 7% of the cap, and the following year 6.3% of the cap (given current cap projections, which are likely low for next year).

But yes, cap percentage is a much better gauge.  As the cap rises, players salaries as a group will inherently rise.

So, this means the market for role players is now a minimum of $5.5 million simply because the cap goes up.  Wow!!!  the NBA must be in great financial shape.  This is baffling because when I watch some of these games on TV there seems to be a lot of empty seats.   

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 11:16:31 PM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43

So, this means the market for role players is now a minimum of $5.5 million simply because the cap goes up.  Wow!!!  the NBA must be in great financial shape.  This is baffling because when I watch some of these games on TV there seems to be a lot of empty seats.   
The NBA just signed a huge new TV deal. Media rights are the big reason the league is in such great financial shape right now.

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 01:10:01 AM »

Offline redrobot

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 4
Turner and Zeller both gone?  Who is going to mind the fort?  Are you suggesting Danny will reverse course and start tanking?  Turner and Zeller are the more consistent players on offense.  Tyler was off the charts in shooting during the last part of the season.  Do you think he will simply trade away these players for future assets?  Keep in mind, neither Danny or Brad has shown a willingness to tank.  Thus, just tossing these players to the side seems unlikely.

Zeller was 12th on the team in minutes per game - not really indicative of a key player on a rebuilding team. Sure he takes good shots and converts free throws, but if he was untouchable he would be seeing more minutes.

Turner on the other hand is a bit of a reclamation project - a former #2 overall pick that never reached his potential and clashed with some teammates in Indiana. It's not real likely that his future lies in Boston.

Thankfully there are several other candidates to mind the fort in the event of either one's departure. Just check the top 3 thread!