Author Topic: Matt Moore on Rebuilding  (Read 10058 times)

Re: Matt Moore on Rebuilding
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2015, 06:47:02 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Some of you have misunderstood my hypothetical.

It's not the Celtics vs. the Magic.  It's Payton, Oladipo, Harris, Gordon, and Vucevic vs. Smart, Bradley, Crowder, Sullinger, and Olynyk.

Pretend they met up in an empty gym somewhere and just decided to play.  Make it a seven game series, playground rules, each game to twenty-one, win by two.  Call your own fouls.

I'm going with the Celtics.

Right.  I went with the Magic.

For what it's worth, I'd definitely pick the full Celtics roster to win a series against the Magic.  The Celts win hands down in depth.  The Magic, to my mind, have much better top talent, and matchup well with the 5 guys you put on the floor for us.

Thomas - Smart - Jerebko - Lee - Johnson

I'd take that lineup against the Magic lineup you specified.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2015, 06:47:33 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

It's not the Celtics vs. the Magic.  It's Payton, Oladipo, Harris, Gordon, and Vucevic vs. Smart, Bradley, Crowder, Sullinger, and Olynyk.

Pretend they met up in an empty gym somewhere and just decided to play.  Make it a seven game series, playground rules, each game to twenty-one, win by two.  Call your own fouls.

If it's playground rules meaning make-it-take-it... neither "team" can actually shoot the ball, so I assume Olynyk fouls out trying to deal with PnR's involving Vucevic, which score orlando uncontested buckets since neither of our bigs can defend worth anything.

Seriously, if Orlando runs straight pick and rolls, what are the Celtics 5 going to do besides foul?

Of course it's not "make it, take it."  It's five-on-five, so it's full-court. 

You can't play "winners" full court, silly.

Seriously, though, Kelly's not a terrible pick and roll defender, particularly if Elfrid is the lead ball handler and--as someone mentioned earlier--either Avery or Marcus can go under screens against him on most possessions.

Kelly won't have to blitz and recover.  He can drop back in the pick and roll and guard the lane, which he's actually serviceable at doing.

Put Sully on Gordon.  He'll get a loud dunk or put back tip-in per game, but, overall, he won't be much of a danger offensively.

I like Crowder on Toby.  He'll give him fits.

Maybe, Victor Oladipo will try to take over and play "hero ball."  That only plays into our hands.

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2015, 06:50:57 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

For what it's worth, I'd definitely pick the full Celtics roster to win a series against the Magic.  The Celts win hands down in depth.  The Magic, to my mind, have much better top talent, and matchup well with the 5 guys you put on the floor for us.

Potential top talent, as of right now they're probably equal or worse than the Celtics.

« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2015, 07:26:52 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Potential top talent, as of right now they're probably equal or worse than the Celtics.

Oladipo, Harris, Vucevic.  If you're comparing  young players on each team no, I don't think the Celts have guys playing at that level yet.

Smart was better than Gordon last year, but we'll see how it goes this year.  I think he was better than Payton but some people disagree on that.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2015, 09:28:40 AM »

Offline drogbagarnett

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 37
That Matt Moore guy is a clueless Celtics hater!! Has been and continue to be!
Both Phi and Orl started their rebuild before us and we are set to be contending before them!
We are back in the playoff before them!
We are ahead of the other teams that have a similar position and timeframe than us : LAL an NYK.
The fact that he is not comparing us to LAL and NYK but instead to those team with annual gold membership to the Lottery for the past 3 or 5 years is already telling that we are way head!!
Only jaleous people wont see that we are the best positioned for a fast rebuild with :
- Grooming young talent (a former # 2 pick, and two top 3 high school recruits and a # 6 pick). In addition to those, KO, Crowder, and a nice group of rookies Hunter, Rozier, Mickey, etc... all filled with potential!
- Multiple picks in our hands. no need to dwell on this, clearly a big plus for any rebuilt!! BKN picks could turn out to be gold..
- Attractive tradeable contracts exclusively!! Not one contract on this team is not a great trade ammunition when the usual disgrunted start becomes available...
- the list goes on but the idea is:
we all got yuong talent!
The difference is our young talent are playoff contending.
We all got future picks!
The difference is ours are coming in bunches and could turn out to be as valuable as PHI's with a little bit of luck...
You can choose whatever rebuilding strategy you prefer but you can't mock ours... Only time will tell but I'm willing to bet on us contending before any of those teams...

« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2015, 09:36:51 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Put Sully on Gordon.  He'll get a loud dunk or put back tip-in per game, but, overall, he won't be much of a danger offensively.

All he would have to do is take Sully outside and he could run circles around him.   Also, he could simply run the floor, running him into the ground.  Sully defends guys who are immobile and can push best.   

« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2015, 11:29:51 AM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
Both Phi and Orl started their rebuild before us and we are set to be contending before them!

- Grooming young talent (a former # 2 pick, and two top 3 high school recruits and a # 6 pick). In addition to those, KO, Crowder, and a nice group of rookies Hunter, Rozier, Mickey, etc... all filled with potential!

I mean the first sentence is blatantly untrue, both Phi and Bos started rebuilding following the 2013 season.

And the 2nd sentence seems to imply that Evan Turner, a decidedly mediocre player, is now this #2 pick teeming with potential while portraying HS rankings as some sort of meaningful barometer for NBA players?

Almost every team going through a rebuild has guys like the ones you list, the hard part is finding the #1 and #2 players.

« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2015, 11:35:00 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
I generally agree with the article but here is where I disagree: if things go wrong. It's not like we would have to re-rebuild just a longer rebuild. Semantics I guess.

« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2015, 11:48:28 AM »

Offline Bosstown

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 32

The Magic absolutely have better talent then us. If you gave Stevens/Ainge the Magic roster, a lot would be done with it. They have had more top 10 picks then us and have way more guys with higher ceilings then we do.

I really don't see Smart as a star, I do see him as a eventual starter on a championship team in the future though.

« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2015, 12:18:13 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Oladipo, Harris, Vucevic.  If you're comparing  young players on each team no, I don't think the Celts have guys playing at that level yet.

Smart was better than Gordon last year, but we'll see how it goes this year.  I think he was better than Payton but some people disagree on that.

Right we're debating who would win in a series, I think the Magic just lack the shooting and experience to compete with the Celtics.

« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2015, 12:22:09 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Right we're debating who would win in a series, I think the Magic just lack the shooting and experience to compete with the Celtics.

Well, we're debating which 5 man group would win a series, apparently in an open gym playing to 21.

Based on that, I pick the Magic.  Their athleticism and raw talent would win out in that context, I think.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2015, 01:22:36 PM »

Offline drogbagarnett

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 37

I mean the first sentence is blatantly untrue, both Phi and Bos started rebuilding following the 2013 season.

And the 2nd sentence seems to imply that Evan Turner, a decidedly mediocre player, is now this #2 pick teeming with potential while portraying HS rankings as some sort of meaningful barometer for NBA players?

Almost every team going through a rebuild has guys like the ones you list, the hard part is finding the #1 and #2 players.

I might have been a little bit over the board but I'm so tired of those Celtics hater with national media entitlement...
1st sentence : I considered the Phi contending project done once Bynum went down... they missed the playoffs a year before us. we were still trying to contend playing in the playoffs while they were collecting their lottery picks... You might be technically right but I'm not technically wrong either...
2nd sentence : So our number #2 pick is mediocre but their #2 pick is the appointed futur star..? My whole point here is that it doesn't really matter if you were picked #2 (ET) or #60 (IT) it's what you become as a player in the NBA that matters...
And so far we are ahead of them as far as current impact winning.
Their players might become good but so might our players as well.
So to look at the rebuilds in the current stage at to insinuate that ours is the least effective is just stupid.
As for your last sentence, that is what is blatantly untrue in here.
Not all rebuilding teams have the quality of young prospect we have. A coupe of them just traded their lottery picks from last year for almost nothing!
Not all of them have a young team that made the playoffs last year!! with a rookie as their starting point guard.
And finally, no!!! The hard part is not finding the #1 and #2 draft picks!!
The hard part is finding the next Rudy Gobert at #23, the next draymond green, the next Butler or even the next steph curry outside of the top 10!! The next Ginobili the next parker...
Finding good to great NBA Players!! That impact Winning!! Not just your next hyped up Antony bennet or MKG.....
Matt Moore is a Celtics hater... I'm convinced of that...

« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2015, 02:16:46 PM »

Offline Bosstown

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 32

I might have been a little bit over the board but I'm so tired of those Celtics hater with national media entitlement...
1st sentence : I considered the Phi contending project done once Bynum went down... they missed the playoffs a year before us. we were still trying to contend playing in the playoffs while they were collecting their lottery picks... You might be technically right but I'm not technically wrong either...
2nd sentence : So our number #2 pick is mediocre but their #2 pick is the appointed futur star..? My whole point here is that it doesn't really matter if you were picked #2 (ET) or #60 (IT) it's what you become as a player in the NBA that matters...
So to look at the rebuilds in the current stage at to insinuate that ours is the least effective is just stupid.
Not all rebuilding teams have the quality of young prospect we have. A coupe of them just traded their lottery picks from last year for almost nothing!
Not all of them have a young team that made the playoffs last year!! with a rookie as their starting point guard.
The hard part is finding the next Rudy Gobert at #23, the next draymond green, the next Butler or even the next steph curry outside of the top 10!! The next Ginobili the next parker...
Finding good to great NBA Players!! That impact Winning!! Not just your next hyped up Antony bennet or MKG.....

Or are you just a homer? The Magic right now have a roster full of way more potential than us, that's a fact. The Sixers are tanking on purpose until they find the star of the future, he's stating the facts.  I don't think our young players outside of Smart are really that intriguing to anyone else in the league, the Magic have had higher picks and have  MULTIPLE guys who COULD be All-Stars. I don't even know if Smart becomes a All-Star.

Moore is just calling a spade a spade.

« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2015, 02:21:15 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Or are you just a homer? The Magic right now have a roster full of way more potential than us, that's a fact. The Sixers are tanking on purpose until they find the star of the future, he's stating the facts.  I don't think our young players outside of Smart are really that intriguing to anyone else in the league, the Magic have had higher picks and have  MULTIPLE guys who COULD be All-Stars. I don't even know if Smart becomes a All-Star.

Moore is just calling a spade a spade.

A pet peeve of mine is when folks confuse opinions and facts.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2015, 02:25:24 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Likewise, although we probably wouldn't be in agreement over what qualified under which umbrella.  ;)
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.