Author Topic: The sad but best comparison to Marcus Smart  (Read 11997 times)

The sad but best comparison to Marcus Smart
« on: August 03, 2015, 11:08:14 AM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 72
Lyndsay Hunter

Let us all jump for joy. Maybe he can live up to Lyndsay Hunter and exceed expectations.

But he plays a lot like Lyndsay Hunter did.

Hunter was actually more athletic too. A mix between Tony Allen and Marcus if you will.

Good defender, bad shooting. Shot the three ball decent.

When you look at the stats.....I could see Marcus putting up similar stats in hunter's good years.

Before you go crazy, this is just a scenario where the worst might become possible to what Celtic Bloggers think Marcus's ceiling might be.

Take a look at the video and tell me this did not look a lot like Smart in his season, strips, all out hustle, blocks from out of nowhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzO1NRoKjLg
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 11:43:22 AM by celtics2030 »

Re: The sad but best comparison to Marcus Smart
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 11:18:53 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Lyndsay Hunter

Let us all jump for joy. Maybe he can live up to Lyndsay Hunter and exceed expectations.

Hunter was actually more athletic too. A mix between Tony Allen and Marcus if you will.

When you look at the stats.....I could see Marcus putting up similar stats in hunter's good years.

Before you go crazy, this is just a scenario where the worst might become possible to what Celtic Bloggers think Marcus's ceiling might be.

I may be a crazy homer, but I try not to think of the "worst" possible outcome as the "best" possible outcome. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 11:21:27 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Disagree.

My best possible outcome for Smart is either Kyle Lowry or Chauncey Billups.

Worst possible outcome I'm not sure.  If he never gets better than he is now, he's still a valuable defensive role player who can hit a three.

It's too early to say what the "best comparison" is for Smart.  I'm pretty confident it's not Lindsay Hunter.

In his 4th season, Hunter was a pretty good player.  14 pts, 1.6 stl, 2.8 reb, 1.8 ast, decent shooting.  Smart is already better on the boards and is a better playmaker.  He could easily average 5 reb and 5 ast if given the minutes.   With a larger role in the offense, I think he can easily get to 12-14 points.

Hunter was also shorter and had less bulk.  Smart's a more useful player simply because he can cover both guard positions and also switch onto wings.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 11:24:51 AM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
Disagree.

Worst possible outcome I'm not sure.  If he never gets better than he is now, he's still a valuable defensive role player who can hit a three.

It's too early to say what the "best comparison" is for Smart.  I'm pretty confident it's not Lindsay Hunter.

If Lyndsay Hunter is not close

than what do you call , Gary Payton , Wade, or Deron Williams comparison's?

the ones that 95% of Celtics Bloggers give to us?

When I look at Lynday's style of play, how he was used, some of his game footage, what he was known for and lastly his statistics which resemble Smart's almost to a tee.....

He is very much like Hunter,,,,,,im not saying that Marcus can become better or way better...but this comparion even with stats looks good a the moment.

Would you like me to compare Smart with Eric Snow?

Lyndsay guarded bigger guards too, but wasnt strong enough for the 3 positions on defense...

Snow was built more like Smart.

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 11:38:23 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
With only one season under his belt, I think it's way too early to make a  definitive comparison for Smart. Every comparison is just a best guess based on very limited information.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 11:40:43 AM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
With only one season under his belt, I think it's way too early to make a  definitive comparison for Smart. Every comparison is just a best guess based on very limited information.

Its not too early, why is it too early?

Of course it does not mean Smart will become like Hunter, or any other player.....

but its based on watching some footage , and basing it also one what type of player Hunter was , then lastly his statistics.....

Its better than comparing him to Deron Williams.

Take a look at this

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 11:48:41 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think Smart is stronger is the main thing lacking in this comparison.   But I agree his passing style is very similar.

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 11:52:43 AM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
I think Smart is stronger is the main thing lacking in this comparison.   But I agree his passing style is very similar.

No doubt Smart has about 30 pounds and about 2 inches on Hunter

but they play similar and roles were similar to what smart this year was. We will see what happens from hear on out.

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 11:54:50 AM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
I don't really get your point. There are a lot of guys who had similar basic measurements and rookies seasons to Smart. Some of them became multiple allstars, some became borderline starters. I'm sure you could find some that completely washed out. Just looking at potential comps like this doesn't really show what type of career Smart will have.

Smart is a very talented player but isn't a Wiggins type talent where you can expect him to be an all-star at least. It's tough to find an average-case for him. I don't know enough about this guy, but based on highlights/stats/articles my best guess would be Rodney Stuckey. It is absolutely still possible for him to become Kyle Lowry, Chauncey Billups or even a true star PG, and it's still possible for him to become [insert random below average point guard here].
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 12:00:14 PM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
I don't really get your point. There are a lot of guys who had similar basic measurements and rookies seasons to Smart. Some of them became multiple allstars, some became borderline starters. I'm sure you could find some that completely washed out. Just looking at potential comps like this doesn't really show what type of career Smart will have.

Smart is a very talented player but isn't a Wiggins type talent where you can expect him to be an all-star at least. It's tough to find an average-case for him. I don't know enough about this guy, but based on highlights/stats/articles my best guess would be Rodney Stuckey. It is absolutely still possible for him to become Kyle Lowry, Chauncey Billups or even a true star PG, and it's still possible for him to become [insert random below average point guard here].

The truth is your comparison to Stuckey is down right terrible. At least come close. When you compare somebody, you see what they do the same, what type of style they play, what they specialize in and what they are utilized in. Lastly statistics. Obviously body type height factor in as well.

Somehow you came up with Stuckey, which boggles the mind.

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 12:05:22 PM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
The truth is your comparison to Stuckey is down right terrible. At least come close. When you compare somebody, you see what they do the same, what type of style they play, what they specialize in and what they are utilized in. Lastly statistics. Obviously body type height factor in as well.

Somehow you came up with Stuckey, which boggles the mind.
OK number 1 I was just trying to name an average case scenario based on the fact that a lot of players to come up with similar talent/situation/play ability to him and Smart end up a lot worse, a lot better or similar, not an actually player comp. Number 2 Smart currently does not have a similar play style to any player in their prime, and HE won't play similarly in his prime to now. My point is I don't see how it matters that a player was asked to do the same thing as Smart and had somewhat similar results in his rookie season. How does that mean that is Smart's destiny as a player?
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2015, 12:06:50 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

than what do you call , Gary Payton , Wade, or Deron Williams comparison's?

I think you can answer this question for yourself if you read my post.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2015, 12:21:23 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
Lyndsay Hunter

Take a look at the video and tell me this did not look a lot like Smart in his season, strips, all out hustle, blocks from out of nowhere.

You don't sound very sad.

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2015, 12:39:16 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Disagree.

In his 4th season, Hunter was a pretty good player.  14 pts, 1.6 stl, 2.8 reb, 1.8 ast, decent shooting.  Smart is already better on the boards and is a better playmaker.  He could easily average 5 reb and 5 ast if given the minutes.   With a larger role in the offense, I think he can easily get to 12-14 points.

Hunter was also shorter and had less bulk.  Smart's a more useful player simply because he can cover both guard positions and also switch onto wings.

Chauncey Billups?? They are nothing alike.

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2015, 12:41:56 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Marcus Smart is gonna be Marcus Smart, which means "great defender, constantly improving offensive player, and better than most of his draft class."
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis