Author Topic: 2015 CB draft  (Read 97639 times)

Re: 2015 CB draft
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2015, 04:29:43 PM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
Sad day when it seems like the CB Draft is dead.

07-13. Great 6 year run. CB Draft died when Pierce and Garnrtt left us.

Nah.... it died when those 20-sided-dice nerdz started the DKC (shakes fist!!!). j/k.... ;D
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2015, 04:34:36 PM »

• Rajon Rondo

2017 CelticsBlog Draft: Back from the DEAD!!!!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2015, 04:35:32 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

First round.  Can only draft NBA greats that are deceased.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2015, 05:36:06 PM »

• Rajon Rondo

First round.  Can only draft NBA greats that are deceased.

and only via....

ScROLLing TExTZ!!!

This *is* still Celticsblog Draft y'all.... let's have some respect.

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2015, 11:47:40 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

Nah.... it died when those 20-sided-dice nerdz started the DKC (shakes fist!!!). j/k.... ;D

It's true. The DKC killed the CB draft. All of the regulars for the most part are over there.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2015, 08:41:21 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

It's true. The DKC killed the CB draft. All of the regulars for the most part are over there.

yup.  The DKC was cool until the commissioners arbitrarily appointed an external party at the time who subsequently killed my deal for Kobe.  The thing I liked about the CB draft that it was much more about skill of the GM rather than arbitrary rulings from higher up or outside forces. 
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 08:57:15 AM by Rondo2287 »
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2015, 10:52:40 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

yup.  The DKC was cool until the commissioners arbitrarily appointed an external party at the time who subsequently killed my deal for Kobe.  The thing I liked about the CB draft that it was much more about skill of the GM rather than arbitrary rulings from higher up or outside forces. 

The DKC is still cool, and the fiasco above is part of the reason. We try new stuff. We bring in new elements, and its much more of a role-playing game than the CB Draft.

But if you think that the DKC is not about GM skill, you don't understand the game. Just because unforeseen events can occur doesn't mean the DKC is just a crap shoot that's random. Life is random. The League (the actual one) is random at times. Adapting when something doesn't go your way and landing on your feet is a skill.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2015, 11:06:44 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

The DKC is still cool, and the fiasco above is part of the reason. We try new stuff. We bring in new elements, and its much more of a role-playing game than the CB Draft.

But if you think that the DKC is not about GM skill, you don't understand the game. Just because unforeseen events can occur doesn't mean the DKC is just a crap shoot that's random. Life is random. The League (the actual one) is random at times. Adapting when something doesn't go your way and landing on your feet is a skill.

I didn't say it wasn't about GM skill, but the CB draft is moreso about GM skill compared to DKC. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2015, 11:11:24 AM »

• Rajon Rondo
Ishould be clear.... my fictitious shaking of fists at the DKC isnt a diss on it.

I was there from the get go and only stepped aside from the awesomeness b/c of time constraints.

I think we all -- the founders included -- realized the DKC could spell the end, or at least set back, the Celticsblog Draft Original Recipie.

I'm hoping that a year away from the CBD this summer will allow it to come back strong next year --- maybe with a new cast of characters!!

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2015, 11:35:55 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I think we owe it to the CB Draft to give it a proper send off and do it one last time.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2015, 11:45:43 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I think we owe it to the CB Draft to give it a proper send off and do it one last time.

What you need is someone who has the time, ability, and inclination to run the thing properly. Unless you've done it before, it's pretty hard to know how much work is involved. Two people who know what they're doing and who have a good rapport can do it. One person who is insane can do it.

EDIT: And I don't just mean creating and maintaining the threads. One of the most important things a commish can do it keep the other GMs engaged. It's time consuming and mentally draining.

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2015, 11:47:54 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

I don't think the CB Draft has to have a "last" time.

I'd rather ride the fatigue out & wait another year to bring it back rather than try & force it through this year when there clearly isn't enough interest it.

For a handful of years, that Draft was the centerpiece of the year on the blog in regards to fantasy drafts.   Kinda lost its way a bit the last year or two, IMO, but it was the Big One on the calendar. 

I think it can make a comeback.  It just needs time &, IMO, this year probably isn't the year to do it.

I've also been kinda clear about what I think killed the Draft so I won't bother to rehash it & open up old wounds.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2015, 11:48:38 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

What you need is someone who has the time, ability, and inclination to run the thing properly. Unless you've done it before, it's pretty hard to know how much work is involved. Two people who know what they're doing and who have a good rapport can do it. One person who is insane can do it.

EDIT: And I don't just mean creating and maintaining the threads. One of the most important things a commish can do it keep the other GMs engaged. It's time consuming and mentally draining.

So it's really dead, eh?

I do agree with that sentiment. Being a GM is fun, running the entire draft on the other hand could really fry your brain cells. I think I could hell at some capacity ad I get off at 12nn Pacific and could handle some stuff, but yeah, I think we'd need more folks to do this.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2015, 12:23:07 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

I don't think the CB Draft has to have a "last" time.

I'd rather ride the fatigue out & wait another year to bring it back rather than try & force it through this year when there clearly isn't enough interest it.

For a handful of years, that Draft was the centerpiece of the year on the blog in regards to fantasy drafts.   Kinda lost its way a bit the last year or two, IMO, but it was the Big One on the calendar. 

I think it can make a comeback.  It just needs time &, IMO, this year probably isn't the year to do it.

I've also been kinda clear about what I think killed the Draft so I won't bother to rehash it & open up old wounds.

Agreed, gotta let it breathe and let it revive itself with its own momentum.  Forcing it wouldn't be good

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2015, 12:33:12 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

So it's really dead, eh?

I do agree with that sentiment. Being a GM is fun, running the entire draft on the other hand could really fry your brain cells. I think I could hell at some capacity ad I get off at 12nn Pacific and could handle some stuff, but yeah, I think we'd need more folks to do this.

I don't think the draft is dead by any means. But I think Dons is right, it needs to be gone long enough so that people don't just 'kinda' miss it. They have to REALLY miss it.

Also if Roy, or wdleehi, or Dons, or Fafnir, or myself had the time and desire to run it, it would REALLY help.