Author Topic: the marketing and building the brad stevens mystique-  (Read 2545 times)

the marketing and building the brad stevens mystique-
« on: August 03, 2015, 05:07:43 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
danny ainge just went on offensive calling brad as going to be one of all time greats,pops gave him a big kudo's and the buzz factor is catching
,summer league just added to it ,brad is very camera friendly
-the vanguard of two well respected free agents and the possibilty of rescuing of perry111 another reason for perry to stick
-seeing brad with team africa with turner and turner playing well another plus
if lee and amir jell with isiah and put up big numbers,brad again will get more press---
brad is one of bostons biggest draws,even the NBA will promote him as a drawing card and example of new young blood from college ranks and team first basketball-red move over ,the bench with your statue in fanuiel hall is being readied-
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 06:25:18 AM by rollie mass »

Re: the marketing and building the brad stevens mystique-
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 05:34:44 AM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
You are onto something, Rollie!

One more reason I hope we reach the playoffs again and turn some heads once there. The legend of Brad will only grow.

Here is what Haralabob said of Brad (brilliant basketball mind, by the way. Enjoy his twitter feed):
https://twitter.com/haralabob/status/582702541806264320

"Brad Stevens is the best in game coach in the NBA. Pop has a better system / culture gets the rest stuff etc. But Stevens is best in game"
"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.
Y'all are laughing, but it's sad. I go home and deny the wing."

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 07:37:31 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
even lebron has respect for celtics
,the ambassadors pierce and garnett
 the success of organization from ainge, doc rivers,'mchale,bird,don nelson and heinson and look at rafters for players and coaches in hall of fame
isiah lights up the screen in interviews so does lee,jerebko,amir,crowder and evan-lets get isiah in running for all star team-the leagues best 6th man ,something the celts initiated
brad has star power get the league to put him on national tv as a rebuilder of the celts and eastern conference
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 08:32:12 AM by rollie mass »

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 08:19:57 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I think Danny's decided that Stevens is our best asset, and that to convince everyone else of that he needs to put some real talent on the floor.

Then in a year or two DA can pitch a top FA or disgruntled star by saying "we have the system, we have the coach, we have 50-win talent. Come here and you will bring us a championship."

The trick is that DA needs to acquire decent talent without surrendering the flexibility to make a monster offer if we need to trade for that star. I think he's done a pretty good job so far...the Lee, AJ and IT acquisitions being great examples.

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 09:18:39 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think Danny's decided that Stevens is our best asset, and that to convince everyone else of that he needs to put some real talent on the floor.

Then in a year or two DA can pitch a top FA or disgruntled star by saying "we have the system, we have the coach, we have 50-win talent. Come here and you will bring us a championship."

Has any team ever successfully followed this plan?

In-vogue coaches have a way of turning into old news if their teams don't meet with quick success.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 09:39:26 AM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all

In-vogue coaches have a way of turning into old news if their teams don't meet with quick success.

Not exactly the same but Ainge did it once before --- getting the coach in place first (Doc) who was already pretty highly thought of by some (though not all), making a long term commitment to him, let the team develop/amass talent, then went out and added the stars to go alongside Pierce.
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 09:44:31 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Not exactly the same but Ainge did it once before --- getting the coach in place first (Doc) who was already pretty highly thought of by some (though not all), making a long term commitment to him, let the team develop/amass talent, then went out and added the stars to go alongside Pierce.

Yeah, the trouble I have with comparisons to the previous rebuild, as always, is that Pierce was already in place before Ainge even got here.

That, and they tanked hardcore in 2006-2007.

I think what Boris is describing sounds like building a less talented version of last year's Hawks and hoping that the coach's reputation will get a superstar to sign or a demand a trade here.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 10:34:00 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Always irked me, all this crazy love for Stevens.. Of course if Durant or someone signs I'll eat my hat
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 10:37:08 AM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all

Yeah, the trouble I have with comparisons to the previous rebuild, as always, is that Pierce was already in place before Ainge even got here.

That, and they tanked hardcore in 2006-2007.

I think what Boris is describing sounds like building a less talented version of last year's Hawks and hoping that the coach's reputation will get a superstar to sign or a demand a trade here.

This is true that Pierce was here and we bottomed out in 06-07.

But I think the parallel to Ainge's first rebuild is stark (and I hadn't really thought of it as such before Boris put it that way): Get the coach in place and use him as a solid foundation.

Contrast that to PHI, SAC, even MIN --- will any of their coaches be around in 2 years (Flip will but not as a coach)?

I guess my point -- as one who thinks there are many ways to rebuild -- is that I really prefer having a solid coach as a foundation compared to the shuffling that teams do as they ascend in talent.

GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 10:44:56 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I guess my point -- as one who thinks there are many ways to rebuild -- is that I really prefer having a solid coach as a foundation compared to the shuffling that teams do as they ascend in talent.

I agree.  I think a rebuild necessarily requires moving through a lot of different combinations of players until you identify your long term core.  The way to keep some sort of stability through that process is to have a good coach who is committed to the rebuilding process.

Some people like to justify the recent playoff run solely on the ground that it may have made it more likely that Stevens sticks around rather than leaving to go back to college.  Well, I hope that's not the case because if Stevens is the guy, we need him to be committed to see the rebuilding process through the inevitable ups and downs. 

That's why Doc wanted to leave before this process started, after all.  I'm glad we got rid of him, in light of that.

But yeah, I hope we don't have to go through a series of coaches before finding a winning core.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 10:57:37 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I get the impression that Danny and Brad will both have the patience to see this through with full support from Wyc. and company to give them that chance. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2015, 12:47:16 PM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
Yeah, like we can just brainwash big ego players to join a white coach, who has no rings and didn't play in the league. That's three strikes in the modern NBA.

Love BS to death, but I fear modern players won't be feeling it, unless they are drafted by him.

Popovich alone didn't get LMA to sign there, and he is by far the best in the league. So unless some new trend comes around, I don't see it.
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2015, 12:50:05 PM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
I get the impression that Danny and Brad will both have the patience to see this through with full support from Wyc. and company to give them that chance.

Full support from Wyc, the guy that screwed over our entire rebuild by getting greedy and pushing for the Isaiah trade?

Yeah, can't wait for six years of that NBA treadmill!
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2015, 01:03:43 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
singed my retina reading those hot takes.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2015, 01:05:43 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
singed my retina reading those hot takes.

I singe the retina electric
- Mark Twain