Author Topic: Best TV Series in the Cable Era  (Read 33758 times)

Re: Best TV Series in the Cable Era
« Reply #135 on: January 06, 2017, 05:42:03 PM »

Offline TheBigTicket23

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 59
  • Anything is possible!
Just to give this topic a bit of new life and ask for advice! How good is Sons of Anarchy? I'm in need of a new serie! My top 3 still the same.

1) The Wire
Was just watching some youtube, always thought Chris Partlow looks so much like Justise Winslow, Brodie looks like Westbrook and this kidd with the dreads like Kahwi a bit ;)
2) The Sopranos
3) Entourage
However I have to put Homeland in as well, that's some serie.... Also I agree with the Dexter praised. Love that serie bigtime.
Also heard Oz was a gamechanger, agree as well... that was well acted and I think a good set up for series like Sopranos/TheWire.
Some other series I love and which are still running. Ballers, Suits and Power. Really I said it before, I recommand Power, it may be made by 50 cent but its one of my favourite. Just exciting to watch..

Anybody some other advice next to SoA? I did not like Breaking bad and I quitted GoT after 4s, too many story lines... TWD doesnt seem a serie for me.
Anybody seen The Kylling?
Anybody seen Luther? seems like I have to watch as Stringer Bell is in there.

« Reply #136 on: January 06, 2017, 05:48:51 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Kind of nerdy, but I have to go with GOT as the best.  I'd go with the Sopranos as 2, Boardwalk Empire as 3 (I'm sure I'm in the minority here), and Breaking Bad at 4.  I'll give the Borgias a nod too as think it was very underrated.

« Reply #137 on: January 06, 2017, 05:59:18 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Just to give this topic a bit of new life and ask for advice! How good is Sons of Anarchy?

I watched the whole series a couple of years ago over the course of several months.  (Having a completed series at your disposal is really an amazing way to watch, though binging can be scary!). 

I really liked the series, but it was almost on a guilty pleasure level, because it got more and implausible as all of the years of built up issues began to spill over.  There was some great characters and very memorable moments though. 

---sidebar---I've been pecking away at rewatching Dexter lately.  Similar issue with the piled up years of big events.  Just hard to believe they wouldn't have had more of an effect on the people involved, but still entertaining.  John Lithgow as the Trinity killer is still the best.
Yup

« Reply #138 on: January 06, 2017, 06:05:33 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
However I have to put Homeland in as well, that's some serie.... Also I agree with the Dexter praised.

The first couple of seasons of Homeland with Brodie were nailbiters.  He was awesome.  Actor is decent in Billionaires too, but that show is a bit much sometimes.

I've really been enjoying The Man in the High Castle on Amazon, though season 2 hasn't quite stacked up to the inaugural season from what I've seen so far.  Interesting story line and very cool visual of an alternate reality Nazi/Japan led U.S..
Yup

« Reply #139 on: January 06, 2017, 06:15:04 PM »

Offline sahara

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 84
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

I caught a glimpse of that show from season 4 and I just had to see it from the beginning.

After I watched all 8 seasons in about 2 weeks I just had to start watching it again.

Prettyyyy prettyyy prettyyy good show

« Reply #140 on: January 06, 2017, 06:16:50 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
How about Vikings on the History channel? Pretty interesting series with some underrated acting, and a legit attempt to keep it based on the little that is known historically of that era.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 06:23:23 PM by hpantazo »

« Reply #141 on: January 06, 2017, 06:18:28 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

I caught a glimpse of that show from season 4 and I just had to see it from the beginning.

After I watched all 8 seasons in about 2 weeks I just had to start watching it again.

Best TV comedy ever for me. It's like an unfiltered Seinfeld. So glad Larry David is doing a new season soon!!

« Reply #142 on: January 06, 2017, 06:23:50 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Best TV comedy ever for me. It's like an unfiltered Seinfeld. So glad Larry David is doing a new season soon!!

Cool. Didn't know that!
Yup

« Reply #143 on: January 06, 2017, 06:24:34 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
How about Vikings on the History channel? Pretty interesting series with some underrated acting, and a legit attempt to keep it based on the little that is known historically of that era.

Vikings is great.  Though I'm a little skeptical after recent events.
Yup

« Reply #144 on: January 06, 2017, 06:37:13 PM »

Offline sahara

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 84
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Yup, season 9 is on the way!! Can´t wait!!

« Reply #145 on: January 06, 2017, 10:06:37 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I highly recommend The Americans.  I'd also recommend Orphan Black.  The 1st 3 seasons of each are available on Amazon Prime. 

I wouldn't recommend SOA or maybe just watch the 1st season, which was pretty good, and stop there.  Tried watching it twice.  First time stopped after the 2nd season which pretty poor and had a nonsensical climax.  Second time started with the 3rd season and forced myself through midway through the 6th season.  Think my count was up to 12 shows in a row where at least one woman was killed.  Could have been good but the show needed a lot better writers. 

« Reply #146 on: January 06, 2017, 10:47:18 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
I highly recommend The Americans.  I'd also recommend Orphan Black.  The 1st 3 seasons of each are available on Amazon Prime. 

I wouldn't recommend SOA or maybe just watch the 1st season, which was pretty good, and stop there.  Tried watching it twice.  First time stopped after the 2nd season which pretty poor and had a nonsensical climax.  Second time started with the 3rd season and forced myself through midway through the 6th season.  Think my count was up to 12 shows in a row where at least one woman was killed.  Could have been good but the show needed a lot better writers.

Those are both good too.  I'm behind a season on the Americans.  Waiting for the
Freebies on Amazon Prime.  The house wife clone and her husband are fantastic characters on Orphan Black.
Yup

« Reply #147 on: February 18, 2017, 03:43:40 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Add Wentworth on Netflix to the list. Someone forced me to watch first episode with claim it is one of the best shows ever. I was hooked from 5 minutes and just binged the first season in past 3 days. 4 seasons on Netflix with 5th arriving shortly. It is an amazing prison show in Australia and to say it is sick as in amazing sick, would be an understatement. This was after watching The Americans which is also awesome but in a different way.

« Reply #148 on: February 18, 2017, 03:50:08 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

I stuck it out with SOA a little longer but it eventually became pretty unwatchable.

« Reply #149 on: May 01, 2017, 04:53:53 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Every once in a while at 4am I think of things like the fact that the kids from Beverly Hills 90210 lived right down the street from the kids on Fresh Prince of Bel Air and then I start thinking of the implications for this.  Will coulda gotten Kelly preggers and then they woulda had Fresher Prince of Beverly Hills. Uncle Phil makes way more money than the Walshes.