Author Topic: Best TV Series in the Cable Era  (Read 33763 times)

Re: Best TV Series in the Cable Era
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2015, 12:24:08 AM »

Offline Nikki8

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
There is no wrong answer as everybody's tastes are different but my favorites are

1.. Deadwood
2. The Sopranos
3. SOA
4. The Wire
5. East Bound and Down

« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2015, 12:45:13 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
As much as I don't necessarily like to admit it here I gotta give a shout out on Sex in the City

Two things on this -

1). Are you talking about all of the episodes, or the same 20-25 that are constantly replayed on E!, which edits a lot of the stuff out (or so I've been told) to the point that they're pretty watered down when compared to the originals?

2). Are you a Carrie, Charlotte, Miranda, Samantha, or perhaps even Stanford Blatch, does Carrie ever answer any of her own stupid questions, and who was the true love of her life - Aidan or Mr. Big?  I need deets and I need them NOW (sarcasm)! ;D

1. All of them although the show evolved and season one was worst, with season 3 probably being best before you came to the conclusion in season 4 "Wow. All of them are horrible people"

2. Probably a Charlotte. Yes, but rarely. If you have to ask that you didn't pay attention to the show...her first love was shoes.

Lol, I don't even know what 'being a Charlotte' means ;D.  I know that people associate themselves with these characters due to personality, it's just that I never really looked into it because quite honestly, I don't care, and I've seen too much.  Ugh.  If I had to guess, though, I'd say that a Charlotte is someone who is more reserved and quiet - at least, out in public ;) ;D, or am I way off base, here?  If that's true, then she would seem to embody the Ludacris line in 'yeah' with Usher.  Regardless, this is important information (sarcasm)! ;D I'm glad that I haven't paid too much attention to the show regarding shoes, but I'd argue that Carrie's true love, and perhaps her first, ever, was cigarettes - yuck.

Btw, I have a friend who is dating a girl named Kerri (I can't remember how to spell her name right now other than the fact that it starts with a k) Bradshaw, lol ;D. I asked as to when we would get to meet Charlotte, Miranda, and Samantha ;), but I didn't even get one response.  Sheesh - some people (sarcasm) ;D. Have you seen the movies? 

« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2015, 12:51:18 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
As much as I don't necessarily like to admit it here I gotta give a shout out on Sex in the City
Oh you mean the female version of "Entourage"?

Sorry.  "Entourage" is the male version of "Sex and the City."
I thought "Entourage" was the straight version of "Queer as Folk".

As someone who never watched entourage, what the hell was it about?  I just never got the sense that it had a plot, but hey, at least the lead played Anne Hathaway's chef boyfriend, Nate, in the devil wears prada (which I have seen way too many times.  Ugh) - he's dreamy (sarcasm) ahaha ;D

Btw, no votes for project runway, say yes to the dress, dance moms, chopped, what not to wear, gilmore girls, frazier, friends, or charmed (to name a few)?  What is the matter with you people (sarcasm)? ;D Technically, the cosby show should be in the discussion, but after all that's come out, it has to be at least a little tarnished by now, in terms of reputation.  What about Becker, Cheers (I never watched it, but it was on for a long time so I thought that I'd throw it out there), or Home Improvement?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 01:05:33 AM by Beat LA »

« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2015, 01:56:37 AM »

Offline Blaze4G

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
GOT
Breaking Bad
Spartacus
Modern Family and Suits (two of my favourites, wouldn't call it a GOAT because of what the story lines are based off of but I really enjoy them).
Fresh Prince of Bel Air  8) 8) 8)

In no way I am discounting persons who consider the shows below greatest but this is my opinion.

Walking Dead - way too inconsistent and literally gets boring for a few episodes in a row
Dexter - Watched first season and did not keep me entertained
Lost - I "Lost" interest after a couple seasons

« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2015, 03:56:52 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
Lost was about the worst show I've ever watched. Not because it was bad, it was actually pretty good for the first few seasons but th writers said over and over they had a real plan and a real ending. I wish I could have the time I spent watching Lost back. Fu@k you John Locke

« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2015, 07:08:53 AM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62
A couple of top quality British crime shows Wire in the Blood and Luther are worth a watch.

« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2015, 08:12:13 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

Two things on this -

1). Are you talking about all of the episodes, or the same 20-25 that are constantly replayed on E!, which edits a lot of the stuff out (or so I've been told) to the point that they're pretty watered down when compared to the originals?

2). Are you a Carrie, Charlotte, Miranda, Samantha, or perhaps even Stanford Blatch, does Carrie ever answer any of her own stupid questions, and who was the true love of her life - Aidan or Mr. Big?  I need deets and I need them NOW (sarcasm)! ;D

1. All of them although the show evolved and season one was worst, with season 3 probably being best before you came to the conclusion in season 4 "Wow. All of them are horrible people"

2. Probably a Charlotte. Yes, but rarely. If you have to ask that you didn't pay attention to the show...her first love was shoes.

Lol, I don't even know what 'being a Charlotte' means ;D.  I know that people associate themselves with these characters due to personality, it's just that I never really looked into it because quite honestly, I don't care, and I've seen too much.  Ugh.  If I had to guess, though, I'd say that a Charlotte is someone who is more reserved and quiet - at least, out in public ;) ;D, or am I way off base, here?  If that's true, then she would seem to embody the Ludacris line in 'yeah' with Usher.  Regardless, this is important information (sarcasm)! ;D I'm glad that I haven't paid too much attention to the show regarding shoes, but I'd argue that Carrie's true love, and perhaps her first, ever, was cigarettes - yuck.

Btw, I have a friend who is dating a girl named Kerri (I can't remember how to spell her name right now other than the fact that it starts with a k) Bradshaw, lol ;D. I asked as to when we would get to meet Charlotte, Miranda, and Samantha ;), but I didn't even get one response.  Sheesh - some people (sarcasm) ;D. Have you seen the movies?
Yes I have seen both movies. I follow the general consensus that 1 was pretty good and 2 was horrific.

« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2015, 08:47:42 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
My fave shows...although I'll have to think about it a bit longer because their's surely some I've forgotten.

The Wire
Sopranos
Band of Brothers
Breaking Bad
GOT
Ray Donovan
Weeds
Walking Dead
Homeland
True Blood
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2015, 08:59:08 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
I`ll split my 10 picks .. The 5 favourite and the 5 best all around (production, script etc)

So in no particular order
5 favs:
Back Adder , Breaking Bad, Boss,Arrested Development,House of cards

5 best
GoT,Band of brothers,  Mad Men,Rome,The Wire

There are some cases like Prison Break. The first season was possibly the best i`ve seen but the rest wasn`t so good so it`s off the list

« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2015, 09:08:26 AM »

Offline kne

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
So in no particular order
5 favs:
Back Adder , Breaking Bad, Boss,Arrested Development,House of cards

I hope you mean Blackadder :) - If you do: I agree, never seen anything funnier except perhaps "A bit of Fry and Laurie".

« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2015, 09:22:30 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Interesting that there has been no love for the HBO show that really started it all.  The Larry Sanders Show.  Excellent show (which btw on metacritic rates off the charts.  First two seasons were 91, then a 93, and then closed with a 99, 97, and a 99).   

That was soon followed by Oz, which really set the network on the great TV show path. 

The Wire and Six Feet Under are my favorite cable shows of all time.  Both are excellent.

I'm also a huge fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.  As network shows go you won't find many better.  It really was an excellent show that many people missed.  Worth checking out.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2015, 10:24:49 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I like South Park

« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2015, 10:33:41 AM »

Offline celticslove

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 188
In no particular order

Breaking bad
Game of thrones
Daredevil
Greys anatomy (girlfriend influence me to it)
The wire
Californication
Ballers (the new entourage.lol same producer so yeah)
Mr. Robot
How to get away with murder
Band of brothers

« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2015, 11:37:37 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
In no particular order

Breaking bad
Game of thrones
Daredevil
Greys anatomy (girlfriend influence me to it)
The wire
Californication
Ballers (the new entourage.lol same producer so yeah)
Mr. Robot
How to get away with murder
Band of brothers

I really liked the first seasons of Greys.... But know it has turned into a boring "the bold and the beautiful" kind of soap

I`d hold my judgement for Mr Robot. So far i like it though

« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2015, 11:38:10 AM »

Online celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570
I won't repeat the bunch already here that I like, but for comedy I really like:
The League
Maron
Nurse Jackie (hate the name)
Monk
Californication