Author Topic: Best TV Series in the Cable Era  (Read 33753 times)

Re: Best TV Series in the Cable Era
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2015, 07:35:51 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
As much as I don't necessarily like to admit it here I gotta give a shout out on Sex in the City
Oh you mean the female version of "Entourage"?

Sorry.  "Entourage" is the male version of "Sex and the City."
I thought "Entourage" was the straight version of "Queer as Folk".

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2015, 07:47:47 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I enjoy the shows "Shameless", "Girls" and "Silicon Valley" for what they are, but I would never consider either one of the best shows of the modern era.

I'm giving you a TP for putting 'Shameless' next to 'Girls' ;D, because I think that describes the latter perfectly.  I watched a season+ of that show just to see why it was so critically acclaimed and I still don't understand what it's about, why it's on TV, or why Lena Dunham is at all praised for her 'work.'  It's nothing but complete and utter tripe, imo, and the worst part is that it's supposed to be funny, right?  Really? ::) The funniest thing about the whole 'show' is how it continues on despite not having any semblance of a plot.  I kept waiting for something - anything - to happen, and all I got was that classy scene (sarcasm) of Allison Williams getting her ass motor-boated (or whatever the term is) by that guy with whom she's cheating.  IN THE KITCHEN! :o I don't care if it's hbo - that sh!t doesn't belong anywhere on television.  If you want to do that type of stuff, go into the adult industry or make a music video with Beyonce, Rihanna, or Nicki Minaj.  Besides, if the producers/hbo were honest, they'd rename the whole thing 'Nepotism - starring girls' ;) ;D.

That is all ;D.

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2015, 08:00:08 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I enjoy the shows "Shameless", "Girls" and "Silicon Valley" for what they are, but I would never consider either one of the best shows of the modern era.

I'm giving you a TP for putting 'Shameless' next to 'Girls' ;D, because I think that describes the latter perfectly.  I watched a season+ of that show just to see why it was so critically acclaimed and I still don't understand what it's about, why it's on TV, or why Lena Dunham is at all praised for her 'work.'  It's nothing but complete and utter tripe, imo, and the worst part is that it's supposed to be funny, right?  Really? ::) The funniest thing about the whole 'show' is how it continues on despite not having any semblance of a plot.  I kept waiting for something - anything - to happen, and all I got was that classy scene (sarcasm) of Allison Williams getting her ass motor-boated (or whatever the term is) by that guy with whom she's cheating.  IN THE KITCHEN! :o I don't care if it's hbo - that sh!t doesn't belong anywhere on television.  If you want to do that type of stuff, go into the adult industry or make a music video with Beyonce, Rihanna, or Nicki Minaj.  Besides, if the producers/hbo were honest, they'd rename the whole thing 'Nepotism - starring girls' ;) ;D.

That is all ;D.

Lol.  I have more opinions about the show "Girls" than I think I'd like to admit, but it doesn't really seem relevant for a conversation about "The Best TV Show in the Cable Era"... when "Girls" clearly is NOT one of them.

But in short, I'll say that I think they captured something really great in the first season of the show.  It was about young people struggling to make it in New York.  The relationships seemed genuine and fresh.  I know so many people like those characters.  I thought it did a great job at capturing a certain sect of modern dating... her relationship with Adam Driver's character was completely relatable for some of the folks I know (myself included) and I think it was worthy of some praise.  It wasn't great, but it was really interesting.     I'll say that the show has devolved considerably since the first season and I think part of it is because Lena Dunham is still in her 20s and I think she's lost touch with what the show was about.  She's rich, famous, and has a rock star boyfriend.  Her success reflects on the show in a bad way.   A lot of the criticism surrounding the first season (aside from the overblown nepotism thing) was that it was impossible for a girl in her mid 20s to write about life experiences when she herself has not yet had time to process those life experiences.  I think it was a fair point and it's kind of unfortunate that her success came so soon.  I do think she has a unique voice.  Had she written this show in her 40s and had someone younger playing the character, it probably would have been a more focused show and she would have understood her characters more.  Consider the show "Louie", for instance.  Louis CK can write that show, because success came relatively late for him and he doesn't have to focus every episode on buckets of money falling into his lap.  He actually had time to process what it's like to be an individual with real struggles.  Unfortunately, Lena Dunham I think no longer understands the struggle of young people in New York and their relationships, so her show no longer works as it seems it was conceived.   Now it's just a wannabee "Curb your Enthusiasm" where success falls into the lap of every character and the writers go out of their way to make every female on the show unlikeable.    I don't imagine the show will last much longer.    Adam Driver's a superstar in the making, though.  That dude is a real talent.     
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 08:05:49 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2015, 08:06:25 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1956
I'm appalled that The Simpsons (specifically the earlier seasons) and Married with Children hasn't been mentioned yet.

Don't watch many shows, but definitely agree with GOT, Breaking Bad, The Wire, X-Files, and others.  The debate should be broken down into genre, top 3 for each genre maybe?

« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2015, 08:13:55 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I'm appalled that The Simpsons (specifically the earlier seasons) and Married with Children hasn't been mentioned yet.

Don't watch many shows, but definitely agree with GOT, Breaking Bad, The Wire, X-Files, and others.  The debate should be broken down into genre, top 3 for each genre maybe?

I was close to putting The Simpsons into my comedy category, but I went with South Park and Archer for my animated series instead, purely because I like them a bit better than The Simpsons.

« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2015, 08:15:24 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
The Wire by a wide margin!    Nothing else even close for me.
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2015, 08:16:48 PM »

Offline MasterEmile

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 46
I'm really surprised that no one even mentioned Lost.
Exellent series that was considered GOT material for sometime.

You can also add Prison Break (the first season is just too awesome).

I also really liked The mentalist,  good show with a solid cast, and a really good murder mystery plot.

« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2015, 08:22:05 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
Action Drama series (Heavy life and death consequences) I like
1. TWD
2. GOT
3. Sopranos
4. The Shield
5. Breaking Bad
6. The Wire

Walking dead gets very cheesy often. I stopped after season 4. Same goes with the Wire. The first season was Awesome but the 2nd fell off IMO.

Sopranos and Breaking bad were fun to watch, every season.

I don't have HBO anymore so I need to catch up on GOT.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2015, 08:29:26 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

That is all ;D.

Lol.  I have more opinions about the show "Girls" than I think I'd like to admit, but it doesn't really seem relevant for a conversation about "The Best TV Show in the Cable Era"... when "Girls" clearly is NOT one of them.

But in short, I'll say that I think they captured something really great in the first season of the show.  It was about young people struggling to make it in New York.  The relationships seemed genuine and fresh.  I know so many people like those characters.  I thought it did a great job at capturing a certain sect of modern dating... her relationship with Adam Driver's character was completely relatable for some of the folks I know (myself included) and I think it was worthy of some praise.  It wasn't great, but it was really interesting.     I'll say that the show has devolved considerably since the first season and I think part of it is because Lena Dunham is still in her 20s and I think she's lost touch with what the show was about.  She's rich, famous, and has a rock star boyfriend.  Her success reflects on the show in a bad way.   A lot of the criticism surrounding the first season (aside from the overblown nepotism thing) was that it was impossible for a girl in her mid 20s to write about life experiences when she herself has yet had time to process those life experiences.  I think it was a fair point and it's kind of unfortunate that her success came so soon.  I do think she has a unique voice.  Had she written this show in her 40s and had someone younger playing the character, it probably would have been a more focused show and she would have understood her characters more.  Consider the show "Louie", for instance.  Louis CK can write that show, because success came relatively late for him and he doesn't have to focus every episode on buckets of money falling into his lap.  He actually had time to process what it's like to be an individual with real struggles.  Unfortunately, Lena Dunham I think no longer understands the struggle of young people in New York and their relationships, so her show no longer works as it seems it was conceived.   Now it's just a wannabee "Curb your Enthusiasm" where success falls into the lap of every character and the writers go out of their way to make every female on the show unlikeable.    I don't imagine the show will last much longer.    Adam Driver's a superstar in the making, though.  That dude is a real talent.   

Shh!  Don't let your friends hear that ;) ;D. I knew that it was about a group of 20 something girls trying to make it in New York, but the only thing I saw was how stupid all of them were, particularly when it comes to relationships, and I'd say exactly the same thing if the show was about similar experiences of the opposite sex. 

That aside, I'm sorry that you, and a number of people you know, identify with Hannah's relationship with Adam.  Really.  I'm not mocking or belittling any of you, here, and I hope that you're in a better place now :). I can only hope that this show doesn't last much longer.  In the meantime, if this is what modern dating is like (I know you said sect, but still), I think I'll go back to living under a rock (sarcasm).  It's cooler in the summer, anyway, lol ;D.

« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2015, 08:46:37 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
As much as I don't necessarily like to admit it here I gotta give a shout out on Sex in the City

Two things on this -

1). Are you talking about all of the episodes, or the same 20-25 that are constantly replayed on E!, which edits a lot of the stuff out (or so I've been told) to the point that they're pretty watered down when compared to the originals?

2). Are you a Carrie, Charlotte, Miranda, Samantha, or perhaps even Stanford Blatch, does Carrie ever answer any of her own stupid questions, and who was the true love of her life - Aidan or Mr. Big?  I need deets and I need them NOW (sarcasm)! ;D

1. All of them although the show evolved and season one was worst, with season 3 probably being best before you came to the conclusion in season 4 "Wow. All of them are horrible people"

2. Probably a Charlotte. Yes, but rarely. If you have to ask that you didn't pay attention to the show...her first love was shoes.

« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2015, 09:55:14 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
If you're going back to what really kicked off the modern era of ensemble cast dramas, you have to start with Hill Street Blues, St Elsewhere and LA Law.  They were groundbreaking and great but don't hold up to the evolved Breaking Bad, Wire or Shield (I don't think Wire was any better than Shield), and GOT.  I think Sopranos gets a top 10 nod as should Lost and West Wing-- these shows all kicked their genres up a notch..  I am also partial to Treme, Rectify, Newsroom, Deadwood, and House of Cards

Son of A got old for me after 2 seasons and also included what I considered the worst acting performance in any of the dramas named on this thread (Kate Segal -- repulsive character poorly played).  Mad Men was well-written and well acted but did not have a single character that I found likeable (or even one i loved to hate).

Seinfeld, Curb, and Arrested Development top my Cable era comedies. I love Louis  and it gets better with each season.

BTW, I know many will disagree but I thought Married with Children was just awful.  I put it in the same category as Three's company, Two1/2 Men, Alice --- long-running shows that lived off the same jokes and basic plot lines for years  relying almost exclusively on sex humor, toilet humor and ever-repeating catch-phrases.  Fonzi's "hey" was humorous once or twice -- by episode 50 the writers were not earning their salaries. But at least Happy Days had 1 good season.

« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2015, 10:00:41 PM »

Offline BUTerrier

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 53
I know Aaron Sorkin gets mocked a lot, but I'd stack The West Wing -- where he took the ideas he started building in The American President and Sports Night and really committed to them -- against a lot of other shows of equal length on TV. People forget it now, but Bradley Whitford, Richard Schiff, Allison Janney, Dule Hill . .  they really weren't stars before then. Even John Spencer's limelight had dimmed a bit since LA Law (though he seems to be in every other move in the 90s). Whenever reruns are on I stop what I'm doing and watch, even the later episodes with Jimmy Smits and Alan Alda.

« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2015, 10:44:27 PM »

Offline viulo

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
I know Aaron Sorkin gets mocked a lot, but I'd stack The West Wing -- where he took the ideas he started building in The American President and Sports Night and really committed to them -- against a lot of other shows of equal length on TV.

You beat me to it. There are some recent ones I haven't watched, including GOT, but if The Wire is probably my 2nd favourite of all time, the first will be The West Wing.

« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2015, 11:38:03 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
I know I'm echoing a lot of others, but my favorite modern dramas, in order, would be:

1) The Sopranos
2) The Wire
3) Breaking Bad

All three are incredible works of art.

I would put Deadwood just after.  It had a couple minor flaws, but other than that it was outstanding.

For current dramas I love The Americans (though i havent seen season 3 yet) and Rectify.  If you love subtle character-driven dramas, watch Rectify.  Best show on TV IMO.  It's on netflix streaming right now.

« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2015, 12:00:06 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
I just watched 3 seasons of, "Orange is the New Black" this week. Great show. It's like a it takes some of the funniness of weeds the character development of Lost but set in a more realistic world. It's not as good as Game of Throwns or Sopranos I guess, but it is [dang] good. Maybe I'm over rating it because I just watched it, but I'd really recommend it.