Author Topic: Trade Idea: BOS/ATL  (Read 2630 times)

Trade Idea: BOS/ATL
« on: August 02, 2015, 11:23:54 AM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
The Hawks need an upgrade at SF since Carroll signed with Toronto. They also could use a better PF than Mike Scott and Muscala off the bench. The Celtics need to trim roster spots. This trade would be a good start:

TO ATL: Olynyk, Turner

TO BOS: Mack (waived), Tavares, 2018 Minnesota 1st, 2016 ATL 1st (top 14 protected)

The 2018 Minny 1st is protected 1-14 between 2018-2020. If not conveyed by 2020, it becomes two seconds (2020 & 2021 second rd picks). The 2016 ATL 1st is likely in the 20's. Add Tavares to the mix and I think this would be a good return for KO & Turner. Mack would be waived.

Hawks Depth Chart after trade:

Teague/Schroder
Korver/Bazemore/Holiday
Turner/Hardaway/Sefolosha
Millsap/Olynyk/Scott
Horford/Splitter/Muscala

Celtics Depth Chart after trade:

Smart/Thomas/Rozier
Bradley/Hunter/Young
Crowder/Jerebko/Mickey
Lee/Sully/Jones
Johnson/Zeller/Tavares

Thoughts?

Re: Trade Idea: BOS/ATL
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 11:36:57 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
I can't see any way the Celtics are getting two first rounders for Olynyk and Turner.

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 12:57:11 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
I can't see any way the Celtics are getting two first rounders for Olynyk and Turner.

My first take is that you're right, but then I looked at it more carefully and it's probably pretty close to being right. Both of these guys have some use for Atlanta and Olynyk by himself  is worth a 2016 late first round pick while Turner is worth a long-term future late first that may turn into 2 2nd round picks 5 years from now.

So after due consideration, I'm not sure I'd make this trade if I'm Danny but it's probably fair.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 01:07:05 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
I don't think I would do this but I don't think Atlanta would either
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 02:18:58 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday

My first take is that you're right, but then I looked at it more carefully and it's probably pretty close to being right. Both of these guys have some use for Atlanta and Olynyk by himself  is worth a 2016 late first round pick while Turner is worth a long-term future late first that may turn into 2 2nd round picks 5 years from now.

So after due consideration, I'm not sure I'd make this trade if I'm Danny but it's probably fair.

We need to consolidate the roster. I like Turner but if you think in terms of the future we already have our ball handler/playmaker off the bench in Rozier. Olynyk is signed for two more years which gives ATL more of an incentive to trade for him as opposed to Sully. Olynyk & Turner will provide a scoring punch that Mack & Tavares don't. I think both would be great fits for Budenholzer's system. With all the picks we're going to have (likely 2 lottery picks) next year, we can make a trade for a star (let us pray) or just draft better players than Olynyk & Turner.

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 02:57:14 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
I think that just limiting the trade to the Minnesota pick would give Atlanta the incentive to do this deal. With the talent injection Minnesota has received, they should probably be at least a 6-8 seed in the West by 2018. Interesting trade proposal to clean up our roster situation.

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 03:02:48 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
I think that just limiting the trade to the Minnesota pick would give Atlanta the incentive to do this deal.

There you go.

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 10:09:17 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
I think that just limiting the trade to the Minnesota pick would give Atlanta the incentive to do this deal.

There you go.

As long as Ainge considers this a fair return I'm all for only getting the Minny pick. I just want to consolidate the roster. We already have enough picks in 2016 as it is. It's time to turn these picks into great players or trade them for a star.

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 11:23:32 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Smoke em if you got em...

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 12:18:54 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
We can't want to win games and depend on Rozier to be our point guard. He hasn't played an NBA minute and 1s, like 5s take a while to develop.

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 12:26:08 AM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
atlanta says hell no
giving up 3 picks (quintessentially) for olynyk + turner is a outrageous price tag

also doesnt help hawks major loss of the season (carroll)
they need that 3 and D guy rather than turner
also scott played well last season

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2015, 12:31:24 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
atlanta says hell no
giving up 3 picks (quintessentially) for olynyk + turner is a outrageous price tag

also doesnt help hawks major loss of the season (carroll)
they need that 3 and D guy rather than turner
also scott played well last season

Mike Scott might be in jail and playing prison basketball next year!!!

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/basketball/atlanta-hawks-mike-scott-bonds-out-after-arrest-co/nm9qD/

Smitty77

P.S. Turner can play the 3 spot and was an above averaged defender for us the last half of the year.  BTW, Carroll was the 37 ranked SF defender per real plus/minus and ET was the 33rd ranked SG defender.

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2015, 09:11:01 AM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
We can't want to win games and depend on Rozier to be our point guard. He hasn't played an NBA minute and 1s, like 5s take a while to develop.

So you're suggesting we trade Rozier? Because we have 16 guaranteed contracts as of now and each player is deserving of an NBA roster spot. Somebody has to go. It most certainly won't be any of the rookies Ainge drafted unless it's a blockbuster deal. Any small deal like the one I proposed will likely include anyone but the rookies. The rookies are here to stay. Even if they are sent to the D league they still count as a roster spot. Also it can be argued that playing Turner over guys like Jones, Young, & Mickey will stunt their growth. You have to think in terms of the future. I believe Rozier will be part of the teams long terms plans. Can't say the same about Turner. I think Rozier can contribute right away in a minimal role off the bench.

IMO playing Rozier instead of Turner won't make us lose more games. Tbh even if we lose more games w/o Turner I'd prefer that. I'd rather Rozier get minutes and improve than win a few more games with Turner, and then Turner leaves or gets traded. Smart contributed in the playoffs his rookie year. Why can't Rozier do the same?