Author Topic: Turner Young and first for Kidd Gilchrist  (Read 3442 times)

Re: Turner Young and first for Kidd Gilchrist
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2015, 01:06:59 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
I know MKG is an elite defender and a bad shooter but how is he at attacking the rim? Does he draw a lot of free throw attempts? Does he finish well at the rim? Is he a good passer? Ball handler?

I ask because he will be a restricted free agent. Charlotte won't want to trade him but anything can happen in free agency

Most teams don't worry much about RFAs because the controlling team has such a massive advantage that they rarely lose such guys. Essentially, a RFA has no leverage. At the very worse, the rest of the league sets the price tag, uses cap space to hold the player and the GM of the owning team has an easy job and can choose to sign the player (or not). Which is why so few teams really get down to brass tacks with someone else's RFA - it's a waste of time, effort and cap space.

Look at this year. Every RFA of note resigned with their former team: Tobias Harris, Draymond Green, Jimmy Butler, Jae Crowder, Reggie Jackson, Enes Canter, Brandon Knight, Kawhi Leonard, Khris Middleton, Kostas, Shumpert, Singer, Thompson...is there anyone who didn't resign? That's pretty typical. So while anything can happen as a UFA, the same does not hold true for a RFA. Charlotte has no concerns about retaining MKG's services in 2016-2017.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2015, 01:14:49 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
I know MKG is an elite defender and a bad shooter but how is he at attacking the rim? Does he draw a lot of free throw attempts? Does he finish well at the rim? Is he a good passer? Ball handler?

I ask because he will be a restricted free agent. Charlotte won't want to trade him but anything can happen in free agency

Most teams don't worry much about RFAs because the controlling team has such a massive advantage that they rarely lose such guys. Essentially, a RFA has no leverage. At the very worse, the rest of the league sets the price tag, uses cap space to hold the player and the GM of the owning team has an easy job and can choose to sign the player (or not). Which is why so few teams really get down to brass tacks with someone else's RFA - it's a waste of time, effort and cap space.

Look at this year. Every RFA of note resigned with their former team: Tobias Harris, Draymond Green, Jimmy Butler, Jae Crowder, Reggie Jackson, Enes Canter, Brandon Knight, Kawhi Leonard, Khris Middleton, Kostas, Shumpert, Singer, Thompson...is there anyone who didn't resign? That's pretty typical. So while anything can happen as a UFA, the same does not hold true for a RFA. Charlotte has no concerns about retaining MKG's services in 2016-2017.

I agree with you. But I also think the perception is a lot of those players are better than MKG. Charlotte might very well match any offer. Charlotte seems like Cleveland in that they fall in love with their guys. They are difficult to trade with. And I totally understand that and do that sometimes with our players. So it would be very difficult to sign him or trade for him.

But I'm more interested in is MKG a zero on offense? Or can he attack the rim, pass, handle the ball, etc?
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2015, 01:19:30 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
So we want MKG who took forever to become a decent player and seems high quality defender? Why won't we bother developing Young to be a decent player and high quality shooter? On top of that doesn't MKG and Crowder do the same things...

This is very typical of the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. Smh

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2015, 02:12:44 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
I think the hornets look at Mkg as their most valuable player. He's an elite defender and no player made a bigger impact on their team last year than Mkg.  Can't see them moving him.

This.  I'd love to see MKG in a Celtics jersey, but I doubt it will ever happen. 

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2015, 02:44:18 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I think the hornets look at Mkg as their most valuable player. He's an elite defender and no player made a bigger impact on their team last year than Mkg.  Can't see them moving him.

This.  I'd love to see MKG in a Celtics jersey, but I doubt it will ever happen.
I've been interested in MKG for a while.   His jump shot looked better last season.   His main impact is definitely on the defensive end.  He's still only 21 years old.   I remember hearing rumors we were trying to get him for Jeff Green, but he sort of had a breakout season last year.  Can't see us getting him.

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2015, 02:46:40 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I think he's a good target as a RFA. If we could get him in trade for this little, it would be well worth it IMO.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2015, 11:28:10 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Defense is needed