Author Topic: perry jones-one BIG problem,making space  (Read 5629 times)

Re: perry jones-one BIG problem,making space
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2015, 02:32:37 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
PJ3 is a beanpole.  It's unclear if he can really be a useful NBA player.  There's no sense in getting concerned about clearing a roster spot for him.

If he truly wows in training camp, then perhaps it'll happen.  Most likely, he gets cut.

Would you rather keep PJ3 or Jordan Mickey?  Because that's probably the choice here.
i would include rj hunter in that "bubble crowd." if he cant show that his summer league performance translates to the nba level i could see him being cut as well.

plus, maine should field a pretty good team this year with 2-3 members of these celtics on their team.

Eh, they used a first round pick on him.  They'll give him some time to show what he can and cannot do.

PJ3 probably gets cut and then sent to Maine.  Maybe he gets a shot with the team on a 10-day if there's roster space later in the season.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2015, 03:17:19 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
perry weighs about what mickey weighs is 6-11 with 38.5 to 41 vertical-3 years nba experience adusting to traveling, length of season, speed of game ,pressure and press,sitting the bench ,dealing with injuries and practice against durant and westbrook but , unless he proves himself or there is no thining of the roster
-perry will be another big that didn't have itor didn't know how to use it

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2015, 03:24:48 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
E T .....

Doesn't belong on this team.l...his job can be done my any number of young players.

ET was our best player 2nd half of last season.

How soon they forget...

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2015, 04:04:24 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
PJ3 is a beanpole.  It's unclear if he can really be a useful NBA player.  There's no sense in getting concerned about clearing a roster spot for him.

If he truly wows in training camp, then perhaps it'll happen.  Most likely, he gets cut.

Would you rather keep PJ3 or Jordan Mickey?  Because that's probably the choice here.
i would include rj hunter in that "bubble crowd." if he cant show that his summer league performance translates to the nba level i could see him being cut as well.

plus, maine should field a pretty good team this year with 2-3 members of these celtics on their team.

Eh, they used a first round pick on him.  They'll give him some time to show what he can and cannot do.

PJ3 probably gets cut and then sent to Maine.  Maybe he gets a shot with the team on a 10-day if there's roster space later in the season.

Hunter's got a guaranteed contract--they're not cutting him. They may give him some time in Maine, but he'd still be on the C's roster.

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2015, 04:11:21 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

Hunter's got a guaranteed contract--they're not cutting him. They may give him some time in Maine, but he'd still be on the C's roster.
good points by you and pho. i had mixed up the draft spots for mickey and hunter. yep, he stays. so the pressure really is on jones at this point, barring any trade.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2015, 04:40:05 PM »

Offline 33_Larry Legend_33

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 87
I could still see Danny doing some 3-for-1 deal as the season gets closer.  Lest we forget, we've seen some borderline "mega" deals right up to training camp.

I'm not sure I see a place for Sully on this team, nor James Young (who I don't really see panning out).  If we do a 3-for-1 type of deal, I think it might also open up the door to sign Jonathan Holmes.  I want to see PJ3 on this team because that stretch he put together, though a small slice due to an injury, makes him intriguing.  The LAST thing I want to see is for us to cut him loose, and then see the Cavs (for example) pick him and and watch him become a key cog in their run this season. 

I think PJ3 might very well end up being the surprise contributor on this roster...

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2015, 07:07:58 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
James young should be nervous.  Right now he has shown a nice shooting touch A YEAR AGO and that was mostly d league.  Potential and age are the only reason he isn't the far far last guy on the depth chart.  Ainge will make space no doubt.  He can move two guys young with upside, one quality big sub and a second rounder for one guy

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2015, 07:23:24 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
At this point, I don't see anyone getting cut. . . too many valuable players for that.

Young, Hunter etc aren't getting cut. Those dudes are way too young, with upside Danny craves.
For the right price, Danny will trade them but they're not just getting cut.

Same goes for the rest of the roster. I think Danny likes them all. I like them all. They'll see what pans out and stay in tune w/ the trade market if they can make a shift.

I think PJIII is well worth the effort, and will show something this season.

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2015, 07:38:33 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Are we sure Perry Jones is even going to make the opening night roster?  I thought that trade was more about saving Oklahoma a little cash and picking up another draft pick.

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2015, 07:43:29 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697
Are we sure Perry Jones is even going to make the opening night roster?  I thought that trade was more about saving Oklahoma a little cash and picking up another draft pick.

He was introduced at the press conference with the other new celtics whereas Zoran Dragic wasn't, and there already were reports immediately following the Dragic trade that the celtics would cut him if they can't trade him, but no such reports about PJ3, so everything points to him staying. I think Ainge has backup moves in place to trim the roster if he doesn't find better deals before training camp.

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2015, 07:57:11 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Dragic has a 0% chance of making the roster.  Jones has a non-zero chance that is less than 100%.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2015, 08:02:20 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • bammokja
James young should be nervous.  Right now he has shown a nice shooting touch A YEAR AGO and that was mostly d league.  Potential and age are the only reason he isn't the far far last guy on the depth chart.  Ainge will make space no doubt.  He can move two guys young with upside, one quality big sub and a second rounder for one guy
given your points above, wouldnt jones be even more nervous? he showed a short burst of scoring ONCE in the past three years and could not play well enough to force any sort of playing time. and while young has youth/age in his favor, can we say the same for jones who's window for growth is closing?

as far as potential, both seem to have it, but jones looks to be behind the eight ball right now and needs to show he is more than potential. and he needs to do it really soon.

if ainge clears up roster spots with a trade jones may stick. if jones has to prove he is good enough to beat one of jerebko/young/mickey then he may be in trouble. let's see what he does this summer.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2015, 08:04:37 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • bammokja
At this point, I don't see anyone getting cut. . . too many valuable players for that.

Young, Hunter etc aren't getting cut. Those dudes are way too young, with upside Danny craves.
For the right price, Danny will trade them but they're not just getting cut.

Same goes for the rest of the roster. I think Danny likes them all. I like them all. They'll see what pans out and stay in tune w/ the trade market if they can make a shift.

I think PJIII is well worth the effort, and will show something this season.

well, someone has to go. the roster only allows for 15 players and currently the celtics have 17 players signed, no?

it is only a question of which ones will be headed out the door.
- Vandana Shiva