Author Topic: Trade Idea: Evan Turner and Dragic and 1st rd. pick for S. Adams and Morrow  (Read 9159 times)

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Why would we want Steven Adams, again?

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
OKC would have to have an incredibly compelling reason to trade Adams to us. In essence, that would probably mean Brooklyn 2016 and somebody like Zeller.  As much as I would like to have Adams to anchor our defense, I'm not ready to do that deal.

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
pass the green brother!

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I think the issue here Smitty, is that OKC has Adams under control for 3 more years, and he's pretty much their plan as a back up for Ibaka for the next 3 years- unless he gets better than Ibaka as Ibaka declines/ has injury problems.

I actually believe he's their planned starting center at some stage. He'll be fighting Kanter for the starting spot, but they signed Kanter because the exploding cap arrives soon, and *just in case* Durant leaves.

Think about it this way...
would you give up Steven Adams for Evan Turner and a pick?
I wouldn't because he's just too good.

I think he'd require at least a Brooklyn pick+Olynyk+ one of the rookies or Young.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 10:32:37 PM by chambers »
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
I can't see how OKC can benefit from this deal. I hope it happens because it's pretty lopsided in our favor. lol

- LilRip

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
I think the issue here Smitty, is that OKC has Adams under control for 3 more years, and he's pretty much their plan as a back up for Ibaka for the next 3 years- unless he gets better than Ibaka as Ibaka declines/ has injury problems.

I actually believe he's their planned starting center at some stage. He'll be fighting Kanter for the starting spot, but they signed Kanter because the exploding cap arrives soon, and *just in case* Durant leaves.

Think about it this way...
would you give up Steven Adams for Evan Turner and a pick?
I wouldn't because he's just too good.

I think he'd require at least a Brooklyn pick+Olynyk+ one of the rookies or Young.

I know it would take a LOT to get him.  But, there is NO WAY that they canNOT start Kanter after signing him to that ridiculous extension!!!  Also, IMHO, there is no way that Adams has anywhere near the quickness to play PF.  He is a Center.  Besides, they drafted Dakari for a reason in my opinion, which is to develop him as their back up center.  Also, McGrary can play spot minutes at Center as well and due to his lack of athleticism and quickness, he will likely play there more and more as he ages (if he is even in the league in a few years).

Smitty77

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
No offense, but your recent comment, in conjunction with this entire thread, kind of exposes that you're not particularly familiar with the Thunder.

I know it would take a LOT to get him.  But, there is NO WAY that they canNOT start Kanter after signing him to that ridiculous extension!!!

This argument is absurd. You start your best option. They re-signed Kanter because it was the most logical decision: either they re-signed him or they let him walk and have no potential way of replacing him because they had no cap space.

It's already being floated out there by a Thunder beat writer that the team has been giving serious internal consideration to bringing Kanter off the bench both because of his well-documented defensive struggles and because there's a legitimate debate as to how much more firepower the starting lineup really needs. By no means at all is it etched in stone that he's going to be a starter. "Well, he's making $70 million!" is a silly argument. He's making $70 million to be a supporting role player on a team headlined by Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook, and Serge Ibaka. They're not paying him that money under the pretense that he'll be their best player.

Also, IMHO, there is no way that Adams has anywhere near the quickness to play PF.  He is a Center.  Besides, they drafted Dakari for a reason in my opinion, which is to develop him as their back up center.

Since when has OKC ever had some longstanding tradition of drafting guys in the second round with the expectation that they're supposed to be foundational pieces? They drafted Johnson because they want to see if he's even a viable NBA player, not because they're already figuring him into their long-term plans. He's getting stashed in the D-League this year (since the team literally doesn't have a spot for him) and he won't play even a single NBA minute this season, much like OKC just did with Semaj Christon (and will do again this year if they don't trade his rights or if he doesn't sign a contract with another league).

Also, McGrary can play spot minutes at Center as well and due to his lack of athleticism and quickness, he will likely play there more and more as he ages (if he is even in the league in a few years).

McGary has a lack of athleticism or quickness? One of his most renown traits - both coming into the draft and from his rookie season - is his ability to get up and down the floor. He's not an amazing, explosive leaper, but your scouting report is a bit off the mark.

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Why would we want Steven Adams, again?

International flavor.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
No offense, but your recent comment, in conjunction with this entire thread, kind of exposes that you're not particularly familiar with the Thunder.

I know it would take a LOT to get him.  But, there is NO WAY that they canNOT start Kanter after signing him to that ridiculous extension!!!

This argument is absurd. You start your best option. They re-signed Kanter because it was the most logical decision: either they re-signed him or they let him walk and have no potential way of replacing him because they had no cap space.

It's already being floated out there by a Thunder beat writer that the team has been giving serious internal consideration to bringing Kanter off the bench both because of his well-documented defensive struggles and because there's a legitimate debate as to how much more firepower the starting lineup really needs. By no means at all is it etched in stone that he's going to be a starter. "Well, he's making $70 million!" is a silly argument. He's making $70 million to be a supporting role player on a team headlined by Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook, and Serge Ibaka. They're not paying him that money under the pretense that he'll be their best player.

Also, IMHO, there is no way that Adams has anywhere near the quickness to play PF.  He is a Center.  Besides, they drafted Dakari for a reason in my opinion, which is to develop him as their back up center.

Since when has OKC ever had some longstanding tradition of drafting guys in the second round with the expectation that they're supposed to be foundational pieces? They drafted Johnson because they want to see if he's even a viable NBA player, not because they're already figuring him into their long-term plans. He's getting stashed in the D-League this year (since the team literally doesn't have a spot for him) and he won't play even a single NBA minute this season, much like OKC just did with Semaj Christon (and will do again this year if they don't trade his rights or if he doesn't sign a contract with another league).

Also, McGrary can play spot minutes at Center as well and due to his lack of athleticism and quickness, he will likely play there more and more as he ages (if he is even in the league in a few years).

McGary has a lack of athleticism or quickness? One of his most renown traits - both coming into the draft and from his rookie season - is his ability to get up and down the floor. He's not an amazing, explosive leaper, but your scouting report is a bit off the mark.

I could care less what a beat writer says.  Kanter started last year (all 26 games he was in OKC) and he WILL start for them THIS year!!!  And that was BEFORE he signed the BIG contract!!!

Second, apparently you didn't pay attention to what Dakiri did in the Summer League where he averaged about 8 and 9.  I think they see very possible potential after this that EVEN THEY did NOT expect.

Third, how many games have you seen Mitch play??  He is NOT fast!!!  Maybe Mitch was fast before his foot problems, but he sure did NOT look fast at all this year!!  Seems heavier and NOT in a good way!!

Smitty77

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
I could care less what a beat writer says.  Kanter started last year (all 26 games he was in OKC) and he WILL start for them THIS year!!!  And that was BEFORE he signed the BIG contract!!!

What you care about is irrelevant; I value logical thought and insight from a guy who's got actual connections to the team far more than random musings about how Kanter HAS to start because some guy on the internet says so.

Kanter started all of his games last year because 1) Steven Adams was injured when Kanter was acquired and 2) Ibaka was injured four games after Kanter joined the team. Oh, and 3) the team desperately needed a guy who could score and take pressure off Westbrook since, you know, they had no Kevin Durant.

Second, apparently you didn't pay attention to what Dakiri did in the Summer League where he averaged about 8 and 9.  I think they see very possible potential after this that EVEN THEY did NOT expect.

Whoopty-doo, he tore it up in summer league. So did Adam Morrison, Wes Johnson, and Josh Selby. Please.

Third, how many games have you seen Mitch play??  He is NOT fast!!!  Maybe Mitch was fast before his foot problems, but he sure did NOT look fast at all this year!!  Seems heavier and NOT in a good way!!

How many games have I seen him play? Uhh, all of them because I'm a Thunder fan and, unlike you, I actually watch their games and pay attention to the team. Mitch's entire game this past season was predicated on his hustle and relentless rim-running. The guy was constantly beating his defender down the court on fast breaks, so much so that it became a running joke because he expended so much energy in doing so, he was always completely spent whenever being checked out.

Don't try to rewrite history just because you watched him play three seconds early in the season when he was working his way back from injury. The guy is agile and quick. Every single assessment of him notes his uncanny speed for a big man - yes, even those that were written following his rookie season where he wasn't even in peak shape. You're wrong, point, blank, period.

As far as the weight: hmm, weren't you the same guy crowing about how I wasn't paying attention to summer league? Because I find it funny you're bringing up McGary's weight as though he didn't debut a significantly trimmer figure in summer league. He gained weight last year because he was injured and didn't get a chance to work off the pounds. He lost it now that he's healthy.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 03:23:42 AM by Endless Paradise »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
OKC would have to have an incredibly compelling reason to trade Adams to us. In essence, that would probably mean Brooklyn 2016 and somebody like Zeller.  As much as I would like to have Adams to anchor our defense, I'm not ready to do that deal.

I was with you right up until it looked like you were suggesting that TZ would be a part of a compelling reason for OKC to give us SA.

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

What you care about is irrelevant; I value logical thought and insight from a guy who's got actual connections to the team far more than random musings about how Kanter HAS to start because some guy on the internet says so.

You are correct about Adams being hurt, but he was only hurt in the first 6 of Kanter's 26 games.  Adams played 16, 22, 21, 33, 30, 38, 35, 31, 30, 22, 23, 42, 24, 36, 14, 26, 31, 25, 35, and 21 in those last 20 games.  I didn't realize that Brooks was playing Adams with Kanter so much, so I stand corrected.  I am a CELTICS' fan and NOT a Thunder fan!!!  Are you more a Thunder or Celtics' fan Endless Paradise.

I can see WHY you got so defensive about me saying that OKC will be a 5 seed at BEST out West next year and have virtually NO shot at the Western Conference Finals!!  I can see WHY you want to be in denial about the FACT that IF that happens, KD is likely gone.  He is tired of playing with a chunker for a PG that often takes bad shots while he (KD, when healthy) is often waiting for a pass for an open shot.

Now it is all becoming very clear.

Now, are you more a Celtics' fan or a Thunder fan?  That will clear some other things up for me.

Smitty77

Kanter started all of his games last year because 1) Steven Adams was injured when Kanter was acquired and 2) Ibaka was injured four games after Kanter joined the team. Oh, and 3) the team desperately needed a guy who could score and take pressure off Westbrook since, you know, they had no Kevin Durant.

Whoopty-doo, he tore it up in summer league. So did Adam Morrison, Wes Johnson, and Josh Selby. Please.

How many games have I seen him play? Uhh, all of them because I'm a Thunder fan and, unlike you, I actually watch their games and pay attention to the team. Mitch's entire game this past season was predicated on his hustle and relentless rim-running. The guy was constantly beating his defender down the court on fast breaks, so much so that it became a running joke because he expended so much energy in doing so, he was always completely spent whenever being checked out.

Don't try to rewrite history just because you watched him play three seconds early in the season when he was working his way back from injury. The guy is agile and quick. Every single assessment of him notes his uncanny speed for a big man - yes, even those that were written following his rookie season where he wasn't even in peak shape. You're wrong, point, blank, period.

As far as the weight: hmm, weren't you the same guy crowing about how I wasn't paying attention to summer league? Because I find it funny you're bringing up McGary's weight as though he didn't debut a significantly trimmer figure in summer league. He gained weight last year because he was injured and didn't get a chance to work off the pounds. He lost it now that he's healthy.

Since you watched the Summer League, did you notice McGary getting dominated by Frank the Tank Kaminsky??  Frank is Charmin soft and McGary got eaten alive by him.  Maybe this will dredge back up those memories for you Endless Paradise:

http://www.nba.com/games/20150704/CHAOKC/gameinfo.html

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

I had all of this typed and I lost it somehow.  I will give you that short version.  Adams only missed the first 6 of Kanter's 26 games.  I didn't realize that Scott Brook's (now FIRED) was dumb enough to start Adams at PF for the last 20 games.  I stand by my assertion that Adams is too slow to start at PF. 

McGary IS a HUSTLE player, but that does NOT mean he is "agile and quick!!!!" 

Now, Endless Paradise.  You mentioned that you watched EVERY Thunder game, correct??  Did you watch EVERY Celtics' game??  Are you more of a fan of the Thunder or the Celtics??

Now I know WHY you got SO defensive when I claimed that OKC will likely be a 5 seed in the West and will NOT sniff the Western Conference Finals!!!  You are in denial about what SA, Houston, and the Clips did in the off-season!!!  I understand you wanting to be in denial about the FACT that IF this scenario occurs, KD is all but GONE.  Facing facts such as these would break you Thunder heart, so denial makes life bearable.  Now I get it.

Thanks for clarifying and helping me understand your very passionate and BIASED responses!!

Smitty77

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
*yawn*

More of the usual RANDOM capitalization patterns, excessive PUNCTUATION!!!, blatant mistruths, and MEANINGLESS assertions about a team you QUITE clearly have demonstrated, on multiple occasions, you know next TO nothing about!! TRY with all your might, you're not Dorothy - REPEATING the same lies isn't suddenly GOING to make WHAT you're saying true, no MATTER how many times you CLICK your heels!!!!!!!!! Watching a TEAM play a single possession in Game 4 out of 82 doesn't SUDDENLY make you AN expert on SAID team!!!!!! Bizarrely reaching FOR anything you CAN find to desperately draw ATTENTION away from your ignorance about THE Thunder ISN'T making McGary ANY slower, Dakari ANY more than A fringe prospect, KD ENJOY playing with Westbrook any less, summer LEAGUE any more than a place where a GUY like Josh Selby can become MVP and end up OUT of the NBA mere months LATER, the Thunder any less elite SO long as they're AT full health, or you ANY less hilariously wrong.

!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 11:28:14 AM by Endless Paradise »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
*yawn*

More of the usual RANDOM capitalization patterns, excessive PUNCTUATION!!!, blatant mistruths, and MEANINGLESS assertions about a team you QUITE clearly have demonstrated, on multiple occasions, you know next TO nothing about!! TRY with all your might, you're not Dorothy - REPEATING the same lies isn't suddenly GOING to make WHAT you're saying true, no MATTER how many times you CLICK your heels!!!!!!!!! Watching a TEAM play a single possession in Game 4 out of 82 doesn't SUDDENLY make you AN expert on SAID team!!!!!! Bizarrely reaching FOR anything you CAN find to desperately draw ATTENTION away from your ignorance about THE Thunder ISN'T making McGary ANY slower, Dakari ANY more than A fringe prospect, KD ENJOY playing with Westbrook any less, summer LEAGUE any more than a place where a GUY like Josh Selby can become MVP and end up OUT of the NBA mere months LATER, the Thunder any less elite SO long as they're AT full health, or you ANY less hilariously wrong.

!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will do this with no caps (other than to start sentences.) and no exclamation points for you ep and hope that you will answer my question.  Are you a Thunder fan or a Celtics' fan?  Simple question.  Please answer the question.  Are you a politician like Hillary that simply refuses to answer simple questions?

Answer the question please.

Thanks so very much,

Smitty77