Author Topic: Trade Idea: Evan Turner and Dragic and 1st rd. pick for S. Adams and Morrow  (Read 9183 times)

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
We would likely have to include our first rounder next year or the Mavericks' first rounder.  This saves OKC a little money 500K, but that is multiplied due to them being well into the luxury tax.  Does anyone know how much that would save them totaled??

I think ET can help them have more of a play-making SG/SF, since Russell and Kevin like to shoot it so much.  ET does not require many shots.

This is a reach and OKC might hang up the phone immediately and perhaps I should just stick with trying to do ET and a 1st for Adams.  But, Morrow can flat fill it up at such a HIGH percentage from long range, I just couldn't help myself:-)))

Thoughts??

Remember that OKC was tied for 24th in assists (I know that KD missed 55 games, but this is still low!!)

Smitty77

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
OKC turns that down in a second. Adams is their best interior defender and Morrow is a knock-down shooter. Zoran Dragic probably isn't even going to make the Celtics roster this season, so OKC would have no use for him and if they don't need another ball dominant guard (Turner).
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
OKC turns that down in a second. Adams is their best interior defender and Morrow is a knock-down shooter. Zoran Dragic probably isn't even going to make the Celtics roster this season, so OKC would have no use for him and if they don't need another ball dominant guard (Turner).

Exactly.  I assumed that everyone would understand that they would immediately cut him and owe him nothing as we would take care of his salary due to the Heat already giving us that money.  This is the ONLY way that OKC saves money.  Dragic is due 1.706 and Turner is due 3.425.  Morrow is due 3.344 and Adams is due 2.279.

Take Morrow out of the equation.  How about ET and a C's or Mavs first round for Adams???

Smitty77

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Adams' interior defense is infinitely more important in KD's final season under this contract with the team than some saved money. And they're not dumping Morrow.

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Adams' interior defense is infinitely more important in KD's final season under this contract with the team than some saved money. And they're not dumping Morrow.
Yeah, having a big man like Adams, who is as good as he is at the price that they have him, we'd need to be offering them something that they actually want and can use to win a title this season. A draft pick isn't that and neither is Turner.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
Take Morrow out of the equation.  How about ET and a C's or Mavs first round for Adams???

Smitty77

This is, by far, a worse trade than the one you originally proposed since OKC wouldn't even be saving any money. With KD, Augustin, and Westbrook, they don't need another ball handler (there's no point in citing their team assists under their now-former coach), especially one who's a terrible shooting wing (they already have enough of those) and at the expense of interior defense.

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Yeah, having a big man like Adams, who is as good as he is at the price that they have him, we'd need to be offering them something that they actually want and can use to win a title this season. A draft pick isn't that and neither is Turner.

Good point.  Since they are already at the luxury line and truly want to win a championship or make a deep run to make sure and do EVERYTHING in their power to keep KD, then how about Avery???  They desperately need (IMHO) perimeter defense and AB can provide that.  He also does not require many shots.

That being said, with GS coming back about full strength, SA adding Aldridge and West (for virtually NOTHING), LA getting Josh Smith (for virtually NOTHING) and trading for Lance, Houston getting Ty Lawson for virtually NOTHING, and Memphis adding Matt Barnes and Brandan Wright for virtually NOTHING, I really don't like OKC's chances of even getting to the Western Conference Finals next year!!!!

Thoughts??

Smitty77

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Exactly.  I assumed that everyone would understand that they would immediately cut him and owe him nothing as we would take care of his salary due to the Heat already giving us that money.  This is the ONLY way that OKC saves money.  Dragic is due 1.706 and Turner is due 3.425.  Morrow is due 3.344 and Adams is due 2.279.

Smitty77

I don't think you understand how salaries count against the luxury tax.  Even if we pay for Dragic' salary, his $1.7 million hit counts against their luxury tax, even if released.  That will cost them over $3 million in tax bills, which is why such a trade is DOA.

Your other idea makes no sense for them either.

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
People really underrate the effect a healthy Kevin Durant will have on their perimeter defense: he was a sub-elite defender a year ago. The guy gets injured one year and people seem to forget that, prior to last year's injury fest, the Thunder have consistently been a title contender with top five-ranked defense.

Durant, Roberson, a Westbrook who isn't carrying an insane offensive load and selling out on defense, theoretically Huestis, and even Waiters and Singler to a degree are sufficient for perimeter defense.

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
People really underrate the effect a healthy Kevin Durant will have on their perimeter defense: he was a sub-elite defender a year ago. The guy gets injured one year and people seem to forget that, prior to last year's injury fest, the Thunder have consistently been a title contender with top five-ranked defense.

Durant, Roberson, a Westbrook who isn't carrying an insane offensive load and selling out on defense, theoretically Huestis, and even Waiters and Singler to a degree are sufficient for perimeter defense.

Let me be clear.  I will be STUNNED IF the Thunder make the Western Conference Finals next year!!!!  I expect GS, LA Clippers, Rockets, and likely the Spurs and Grizzlies to be BETTER than OKC.  I really wonder how Durant's health will hold up as well and Russell has not proven to be the most healthy the last three years running and Ibaka is now having more consistent issues. 

Smitty77

Offline JoeyAinge

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 4
Avery and Turner, for OKC 1st and Adams.

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
Avery and Turner, for OKC 1st and Adams.

OKC hangs up immediately.

Smitty: The health concerns are very much so a factor. I will not deny that. That said, if you understand that, you should understand exactly why the Thunder absolutely cannot afford to trade Adams and Morrow away in a salary dump.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Why oh why would OKC do this?

And really, why do the Celtics need Steven Adams?  Would he even get playing time?  We've got more bigs than we can play right now.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Makes zero sense for OKC.

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
Why oh why would OKC do this?

And really, why do the Celtics need Steven Adams?  Would he even get playing time?  We've got more bigs than we can play right now.

Of course he would. He'd immediately become our best interior defender. He's younger than KO I believe and he has a lot of untapped potential. He could easily develop into our long term solution at the 5.

OKC is hanging up if the offer is Z.Dragic and ET though. It would have to be something like Bradley and Zeller for Adams and maybe a pick.