Author Topic: Jason Thompson to the Warriors, Gerald Wallace to the Sixers  (Read 14113 times)

Re: Jason Thompson to the Warriors, Gerald Wallace to the Sixers
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2015, 08:28:02 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Why do the Warriors want Jason Thompson?

Doesn't he have 2-3 years left on his contract?

Probably saves them $$.  He makes $4 million per year less than GW.  He's got 2 years left.  He can also still play a little, gives them depth at the 5.

Saves them 10 million if you include tax savings.

Not a huge fan of the trade for Philly TBH. Swap rights for OKC picks with GS is a meh return for taking money and giving the better player.

You cleared $2.65 million off the books for next year.  Maybe Hinkie will begin to make his moves in 2016.

Not to restart this whole futile argument, but Thompson is a quality back-up big in the prime of his career with two years to go on a very reasonable contract.  If Philly tries to go out next year and get a replacement-level player, it might cost them twice as much at minimum.

This trade makes no sense for Philly short-term or long-term unless you totally buy into the Hinkie plan.

Mike

Between Noel, Okafor, Sims, Landry, and Aldemir (not to mention Covington at the 4 in small-ball lineups), Thompson wouldn't have gotten many minutes, anyway.
Sims isn't on the Sixers.  They let him become a UFA and I don't think anybody has picked him up yet. 

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2015, 08:45:35 PM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
Wonder if Crash would consider retiring rather than go to the sixers, and then sign on with us a an assistant coach.  Don't know how contracts and things like that would work, but think he would make a great coach, with us having so many young players!  He always seemed very well liked by our players and coaches!

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2015, 08:58:08 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Probably saves them $$.  He makes $4 million per year less than GW.  He's got 2 years left.  He can also still play a little, gives them depth at the 5.

Not a huge fan of the trade for Philly TBH. Swap rights for OKC picks with GS is a meh return for taking money and giving the better player.

You cleared $2.65 million off the books for next year.  Maybe Hinkie will begin to make his moves in 2016.

Not to restart this whole futile argument, but Thompson is a quality back-up big in the prime of his career with two years to go on a very reasonable contract.  If Philly tries to go out next year and get a replacement-level player, it might cost them twice as much at minimum.

This trade makes no sense for Philly short-term or long-term unless you totally buy into the Hinkie plan.

Mike
I fully expected Thompson to be traded.  I'm just surprised the Sixers didn't get a 2nd rounder in the trade.  Why should a rebuilding team like the Sixers care about a mid-career quality backup?  All he'd do is take up a roster spot and take playing time away from their younger players.  The reason I like what the Sixers are doing is because the moves they are making fit within the Hinkie plan.  They aren't hedging their bets settling for mediocre vets.  Any wins those mediocre vets would get them would just hurt their rebuilding effort.  Now if their young players play well and get them wins that is a different story. 

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2015, 09:10:53 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Mike

Between Noel, Okafor, Sims, Landry, and Aldemir (not to mention Covington at the 4 in small-ball lineups), Thompson wouldn't have gotten many minutes, anyway.
Sims isn't on the Sixers.  They let him become a UFA and I don't think anybody has picked him up yet.

And Thompson is clearly better than Landry, Sims or Aldemir.  Thompson would have gone into next season as #3 big and the roster and might've ended up a starter depending on how Noel does at the 4.

It's not like this is a big deal, given what Philly has done in the last few years, and Thompson wasn't going to lead them to the playoffs.  This is probably the starkest demonstration of Hinkie's mindset.  He believes getting A players is all that matters and places no value at all in B or C players.

Mike

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2015, 09:47:17 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Mike

I've always liked Sims.  He should have been a Celtic 3 years ago, and I'd much rather have him than any of the big guys who are currently on our roster (Mickey pending, of course, as he hasn't even played a regular season game yet).

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2015, 11:39:52 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
Oh no, now Wallace will tell the 76ers all our secret plays!

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2015, 02:20:36 AM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57

Mike

And Thompson is clearly better than Landry, Sims or Aldemir.  Thompson would have gone into next season as #3 big and the roster and might've ended up a starter depending on how Noel does at the 4.

It's not like this is a big deal, given what Philly has done in the last few years, and Thompson wasn't going to lead them to the playoffs.  This is probably the starkest demonstration of Hinkie's mindset.  He believes getting A players is all that matters and places no value at all in B or C players.

Mike

They actually had/still have a front court logjam. They needed to free up playing time, so I agree with the overall reasoning just not the deal itself. I suspect trading Thompson is the first step in clearing that up. Of people who can play 4 or 5 they have Okafor, Noel, Holmes(37th pick they're really high on), Aldemir, Grant, Covington and Landry. I suspect Landry is on his way out before camp too. 

Henry Sims is gone, he's an unsigned UFA. Gerald Wallace will be cut too. You're understating how much Thompson costs too, he has a partially guaranteed deal.

Personally I think they should have gotten more for him than Gerald Wallace's awful contract and a hedge on the OKC pick they already own(they now can swap that with GSW if they choose).

I'm not a huge Aldemir guy, they're trying to teach him a 3 pointer and he's a phenomenal rebounder but I still don't see much there. Would rather have Thompson taking his minutes, at least for half the year.

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2015, 02:45:41 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

Mike

Mike

Thompson is an absolute scrub. Wallace is a scrub. So you swap scrubs and one team saves tax money and gets a 3rd/4th string bench player on a contender AND saves tax $, whilst the other team gets some pick options+ hardworking veteran for locker room. Even if Wallace is waived-which I dont think he will be unless a great dumping opportunity comes up, it's a win. Thompson is stuck in no man's land if stays in Philly and he stays there for 2 years.

It's easy to see how a GM might rather a 2nd round pick or pick swap and Wallace's veteran presence as opposed to Thompson taking petty minutes away from the big men they're trying to build some value in. Hinkie probably wants Crash in the locker room and on the bench like he was for us-our young guys looked up to him.

Actually a really smart move by Hinkie.
Expiring veteran in the locker room vs scrub 3rd big off the bench with 2 years left on his terrible deal.
I know what I'd take.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 05:22:07 AM by chambers »
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2015, 03:10:30 AM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
FWIW they didn't get 2nd rounders.

They got the ability to swap either the OKC 1st or the Miami 1st they own with GSW's first rounder this year if it ends up being higher than one of those two.

They got that and cash. And Wallace too obviously. I suspect Wallace will be waived or bought out, though I suppose you never really know. They paid Jason Richardson for a while.

All in all it's a small improvement on paper for the Sixers. If Klay Thompson and Steph Curry collide and break their arms or something he looks like a genius. Obviously that's super unlikely. If nothing else the Sixers guaranteed their low end first won't be any worse than 29 haha.

I still think I'd rather have Thompson, waive Landry and Aldemir, and see what a desperate team would have given us at the deadline. The Sixers seem like Aldemir's upside as a rebounder/shooter more than me though.

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2015, 07:00:52 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

Mike

Mike

Thompson is an absolute scrub. Wallace is a scrub. So you swap scrubs and one team saves tax money and gets a 3rd/4th string bench player on a contender AND saves tax $, whilst the other team gets some pick options+ hardworking veteran for locker room. Even if Wallace is waived-which I dont think he will be unless a great dumping opportunity comes up, it's a win. Thompson is stuck in no man's land if stays in Philly and he stays there for 2 years.

It's easy to see how a GM might rather a 2nd round pick or pick swap and Wallace's veteran presence as opposed to % hompson taking petty minutes away from the big men they're trying to build some value in. Hinkie probably wants Crash in the locker room and on the bench like he was for us-our young guys looked up to him.

Expiring veteran in the locker room vs scrub 3rd big off the bench with 2 years left on his terrible deal.
I know what I'd take.

Another win for Hinkie! Keep drinking the Kool Ade.

GSW saved $8MM this year and got a better vet than the one they gave up. JT's deal is only partially guaranteed for $2.6 MM next year if cut. Total savings $5.4M and the better player. JT average around 10 boards per 36 and is a + defender. Awful offensively. Takes Lee's front court slot. GW is toast. Burnt toast. Easy Win for GSW.

Is it win-win? The only real plus for this deal is PHI rid itself of a guy who might have hurt their tank-a-palooza. The swap's a long shot with not much payoff. They do get closer to the minimum salary floor, but you can do that later in the season for less money.

GW's going to love the PHI tank. Thompson appears to be a pro based on what i read on the SAC boards. I'd wager Wallace would be  more critical of the situation than Thompson. Maybe they waive him or send him home until the trade deadline as an expiring contract.

All in all a small deal. ESPN gave GSW an A. PHI a B-.

Given how well Golden State did here financially, I'm a bit surprised the Sixers were unable to drive a harder bargain. While there's a reasonable chance that the Thunder or Heat end up with a better record than the Warriors next season, enabling Philadelphia to swap up, it's unlikely the Sixers improved that pick more than a couple of spots.

Of course, Philadelphia might not need a lot of incentive to add payroll. The Sixers still stand around $15 million under the salary cap and will have to spend something like $8 million to reach the salary floor. So making a move like this doesn't prevent Philadelphia from taking on further bad contracts down the road. And the Sixers may have put more value on 2016-17 cap room, meaning that shedding Thompson's guaranteed money was a win for them. Philadelphia additionally could simply waive Wallace, clearing what might be the scarcest resource for Sam Hinkie right now: roster spots.

« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2015, 07:17:07 AM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum

Mike

Mike

It's easy to see how a GM might rather a 2nd round pick or pick swap and Wallace's veteran presence as opposed to % hompson taking petty minutes away from the big men they're trying to build some value in. Hinkie probably wants Crash in the locker room and on the bench like he was for us-our young guys looked up to him.

I know what I'd take.

Is it win-win? The only real plus for this deal is PHI rid itself of a guy who might have hurt their tank-a-palooza. The swap's a long shot with not much payoff. They do get closer to the minimum salary floor, but you can do that later in the season for less money.

It's a long shot for OKC to have a better record than Golden State? Look in the mirror for the Kool-Aid drinker.

It basically doubles the chance a contender conveys a pick higher than expected. Most likely for free...

Thompson was always going to be the odd man out in the Sixers front court log jam. I know you irrationally judge everything the Sixers do negatively, but try to at least look at the facts.

Golden State got the better end of a deal with no downside for either team... There's no winner or loser here.

And having said all of that, I'm not a huge proponent of the trade. I think they could have waited for a desperate injury riddled team at the deadline and kept Thompson around getting minutes to spell Okafor so that Noel could stay primarily at PF. Aldemir is not an NBA player unless he starts drilling 3s, which I'm super far from optimistic on and I'd rather have rolled w/ Thompson.

But to say they lost implies somehow they're worse off after the trade, and there's no rational way to argue that.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 07:27:56 AM by RAAAAAAAANDY »

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2015, 02:47:05 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

Mike

Mike

I know what I'd take.

It's a long shot for OKC to have a better record than Golden State? Look in the mirror for the Kool-Aid drinker.

It basically doubles the chance a contender conveys a pick higher than expected. Most likely for free...

Thompson was always going to be the odd man out in the Sixers front court log jam. I know you irrationally judge everything the Sixers do negatively, but try to at least look at the facts.

Golden State got the better end of a deal with no downside for either team... There's no winner or loser here.

And having said all of that, I'm not a huge proponent of the trade. I think they could have waited for a desperate injury riddled team at the deadline and kept Thompson around getting minutes to spell Okafor so that Noel could stay primarily at PF. Aldemir is not an NBA player unless he starts drilling 3s, which I'm super far from optimistic on and I'd rather have rolled w/ Thompson.

But to say they lost implies somehow they're worse off after the trade, and there's no rational way to argue that.

I didn't say they lost and it was my reply to the previous poster who thought it "a really smart move by Hinkie." It wasn't much of a move at all. I agree with ESPN's grade of B-. Meh. I think the Sixers could have done better. So do you.

The Sixers are paying money for the right to swap picks. It's not free.  GS is the league champ. They have to be favored over OKC.  Even if OKC beats them out, it's probably going to only be a couple of slots. There's nothing else of positive value here.

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2015, 03:47:38 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum

Mike

Mike

I know what I'd take.

I didn't say they lost and it was my reply to the previous poster who thought it "a really smart move by Hinkie." It wasn't much of a move at all. I agree with ESPN's grade of B-. Meh. I think the Sixers could have done better. So do you.

The Sixers are paying money for the right to swap picks. It's not free.  GS is the league champ. They have to be favored over OKC.  Even if OKC beats them out, it's probably going to only be a couple of slots. There's nothing else of positive value here.

They're under the cap floor and received cash in the deal.

So no, they're not paying to swap picks. They're getting paid and having the option to swap picks.

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2015, 04:36:17 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Mike

Mike

Thompson is an absolute scrub.

Last season, Thompson put up 6.1 pts and 6.5 rebs in 25 minutes.  In comparison, Kosta Koufos put up 5.2 pts and 5.3 rebs in 17 minutes.  So...no, Thompson is not a scrub.

Landry is three years older.  Sims, whom they haven't resigned, makes Sully look like an all-star.  Aldemir makes KO look like a hall of famer.

Thompson would have gone into next season as the third best big on the roster and a potential starter depending on how Noel and Okafor play together.  And Philly traded him for next to nothing.

Mike

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2015, 04:36:47 PM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
This makes the Lee trade look much better for us, and even Golden State really. Just not for Philly  ;D
Truuuuuuuuuth!