Poll

Will Brad go down as one of NBA's greats?

Yes, he's a great guy
18 (40%)
Bring in the tanks and trade him for a second rounder before it's too late
1 (2.2%)
I still cannot stand his rotations
3 (6.7%)
Whatever it is you're smoking, please pass it here.
3 (6.7%)
Not with ET in the roster
2 (4.4%)
Am I the only here who cares about banner 18?
2 (4.4%)
I remember DA said something similar about Rondo last summer
3 (6.7%)
It's true because aliens
3 (6.7%)
He'll be remembered as a great coach, but not an all time great
6 (13.3%)
Eats Tommy's dust
1 (2.2%)
Red has him for breakfast
3 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: Very strong statement by DA on CBS  (Read 9114 times)

Re: Very strong statement by DA on CBS
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2015, 11:10:56 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
To chime in, I'm not sure I would put Duncan ahead of wilt.  But I would have no problem putting him ahead of Barkley and even Bird.

I have to go with the obligatory "did you see Bird play?" rejoinder.

« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2015, 11:24:29 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

I think it's pointless to enter in a 'top 10 of all time' conversation here, but it's pretty obvious you can make a legit top 10 without including Timmy.

I completely, categorically disagree, but I guess that would be a different thread.

Still, I can't help but say that for me, Timmy is behind only MJ, Russell, Kareem, Magic, and Bird.  He's DEFINITELY ahead of Kobe, and I'd place him ahead of Wilt and Shaq as well.  He's the greatest all around player of his generation.  LeBron is the only guy playing now who I think has a chance of surpassing him, but even then he has a lot of work to do.

You'd put Tim Duncan ahead of Wilt Chamberlain?!?!?! Oh lord. C'mon now. Why? Cause he has more rings? That's crazy. A legit case can be made that Wilt was the greatest player ever. I don't think you can say the same about Duncan.

Wilt Chamberlain once scored 100 points in an NBA game. He led the league in scoring 7 times, led the league in rebounding 11 times in 13 years, and even once led the league in assists. Over the course of his entire career, Wilt managed to average 30 PPG, 22 RPG and nearly 5 APG. In his FIRST NBA came, Wilt scored 43 points and grabbed 28 rebounds. He's still the only player EVER to grab more than 2000 rebounds in a single season, and he once averaged over 50 ppg and 20 time bounds for an entire season. That's simply amazing.

No player in NBA history made the kind of impact Wilt did. They changed the rules because of his pure dominance. If your gonna say "Duncan is better, he has like 5 rings and Wilt has two", that may he true but if not for Red and those insanely good Celtics teams Wilt would've won a bunch more.

Like D.o.s. Said, it's amazing that someone as insanely dominant as Wilt can actually be underrated.
yeah, but what's he done lately?  ;)

by the way, given the title of this thread, hasnt the discussion jumped the tracks considerably?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2015, 11:49:49 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
by the way, given the title of this thread, hasnt the discussion jumped the tracks considerably?
Absolutely.

Here's a brief summary.

1/ commenters started saying that coaches are insignificant for a team's success.
2/I came back with the what about Pops argument.
3/My dearly beloved came back with the Duncan argument.
4/I tried to resist.
5/Resistance was futile due to the number of posts. I came up with a list of GOATs to disprove Timmy is so great as to guarantee 5 rings on his own.
6/ FOOD FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is definitely my fault too since I replied to the off topic comments.

« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2015, 11:59:34 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
TP ........I'm glade the OP

Realized

The

" Alien Connection " to all this.

CBS .......is well thought of on Zeta Reticula

« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2015, 12:24:51 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
TP ........I'm glade the OP

Realized

The

" Alien Connection " to all this.

CBS .......is well thought of on Zeta Reticula

« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2015, 03:35:44 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
To chime in, I'm not sure I would put Duncan ahead of wilt.  But I would have no problem putting him ahead of Barkley and even Bird.

I'm 45.  So I pretty much saw Bird's entire career.  Yes, he was great.  But at this level, there's no reason for anyone to get offended.  We are taking about the greatest of the great and I would put Duncan ahead of every other power forward of all time, especially when you consider offense and defense.

« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2015, 03:49:54 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald

I'm 45.  So I pretty much saw Bird's entire career.  Yes, he was great.  But at this level, there's no reason for anyone to get offended.  We are taking about the greatest of the great and I would put Duncan ahead of every other power forward of all time, especially when you consider offense and defense.

For what's it's worth my opinion is these questions are a waste of time.
These are counterfactual questions and can never be answered with exactitude.
I would even go as far as saying they are strictly speaking meaningless questions as there is no method by which they can be answered.

The meaning of a question is the method of answering it: then what is the meaning of 'Do two men really mean the same by the word "white"?' Tell me how you are searching, and I will tell you what you are searching for. Wittgenstein

How on earth does one compare Timmy with Larry? And decide who is best?

Stats are meaningless without context and the number of variables to consider is almost infinite (different teammates, different rules, different eras, different opponents and so on)

We are just bringing food-fighting in our fine Celtics community.

« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2015, 04:04:45 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Going back to the original topic, I love how stereotypically Danny was in that statement too by adding that he saw it before everyone else.

« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2015, 04:12:15 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
@Jon

Thanks.

One day we should set up a DA statement generator  ;D

//I am not trading this player, unless I will//

//X is the best player in our team - until he gets traded//

//I saw everything before everyone else ever did//

« Reply #69 on: August 01, 2015, 05:01:40 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545

I would even go as far as saying they are strictly speaking meaningless questions as there is no method by which they can be answered.

You don't decide, you know, the same way you know that the Beatles are better than Nickelback.

...and Timmy's not better than Larry ;D
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #70 on: August 01, 2015, 05:11:28 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald

You don't decide, you know, the same way you know that the Beatles are better than Nickelback.

...and Timmy's not better than Larry ;D

You have removed my wonderful Wittgensteinian quote that proves you are wrong, but  I will pretend I did not see this happen.

And of course Larry is better than Timmy unless you are blind (switching back to food fight mode).

« Reply #71 on: August 01, 2015, 05:12:46 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Bird was first or second in mvp voting 7 times in 8 years and 3rd the other year, and the only thing that stopped that level of dominance was injury. Duncan was great, but not great like that.

« Reply #72 on: August 01, 2015, 08:16:38 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

The meaning of a question is the method of answering it: then what is the meaning of 'Do two men really mean the same by the word "white"?' Tell me how you are searching, and I will tell you what you are searching for. Wittgenstein

Stats are meaningless without context and the number of variables to consider is almost infinite (different teammates, different rules, different eras, different opponents and so on)

We are just bringing food-fighting in our fine Celtics community.
I agree.  That's why my first post on this discussion said that if you are in the discussion for the top ten, then you're in the top 10 (since there will never be a definitive list).  So in essence, there might be 15 players in the top 10.

« Reply #73 on: August 02, 2015, 01:25:37 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Not only would you not have to resort to google to find out who that was, I'm sure he would have been mentioned in here as one of those "great coaches" if he'd managed to stay in either front office's good graces.

I mean, Bob Hill's inability to stay in either front office's good graces probably indicates that he'd have ended up getting canned (like the aforementioned Scott Brooks) before reaching greatness.

I don't think the legacy of coaches is determined entirely by their players.  See: Mark Jackson, Steve Kerr.  But it's like the "you need high draft picks to build a contender" thing.  It's not a sufficient condition, but it is almost always a necessary one.

Yeah, "you need high draft picks to build a contender," but that's kind of like saying "you need at least one guy over 6'9" to build a contender."  It's something every team in the league has.

So, no, of course it's not a sufficient condition for building a contender.

It would be just as accurate to say that "you need a high draft pick to build the worst team in the league."  Look at all the worst teams in the league over the course of the past however many years, and without having looked it up yet, I can almost guarantee you that you won't find any without a top ten draft pick on the roster.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson