Poll

Will Brad go down as one of NBA's greats?

Yes, he's a great guy
18 (40%)
Bring in the tanks and trade him for a second rounder before it's too late
1 (2.2%)
I still cannot stand his rotations
3 (6.7%)
Whatever it is you're smoking, please pass it here.
3 (6.7%)
Not with ET in the roster
2 (4.4%)
Am I the only here who cares about banner 18?
2 (4.4%)
I remember DA said something similar about Rondo last summer
3 (6.7%)
It's true because aliens
3 (6.7%)
He'll be remembered as a great coach, but not an all time great
6 (13.3%)
Eats Tommy's dust
1 (2.2%)
Red has him for breakfast
3 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: Very strong statement by DA on CBS  (Read 9129 times)

Very strong statement by DA on CBS
« on: July 31, 2015, 02:33:41 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Brad is one of the smartest coaches in the NBA. He’s learning the game still. But he’s a tireless worker, he’s a great communicator. It's exciting for me that Brad is getting the accolades that he’s getting. We ve always known that about Brad. He’s going to have some ups and downs through his coaching career, but, it’s my opinion that, in 10 or 20 years from now, we’ll be talking about Brad as one of the great coaches to ever coach in the NBA.

Article by Christ Forsberg
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4720054/ainge-stevens-will-go-down-as-one-of-coaching-greats

Re: Very strong statement by DA on CBS
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 02:40:52 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
It needs an option for "He'll be remembered as a great coach, but not an all time great"

I think he'll be great, win at least one COTY award, but I don't think he'll be considered better than Red and Tommy when it's all said and done

Also, Forsberg is a good guy, but comparing him to Jesus seems a bit much :P
I'm bitter.

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 02:51:05 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Are there examples of phenomenal coaches who got weak talent to the playoffs consistently?  Maybe Brad can end up like Larry Brown or something... get the most out of every team he coaches on... and finally 25+ years from now on his 7th team he'll finally have the perfect storm of talent that lets him win a championship.

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 02:54:41 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
That's some shade on Larry Brown.

Ainge saying nice things about his coach is not particularly novel, IMO. He says nice things about everyone involved with the Celtics while they're involved with the Celtics -- what is he supposed to say, "I hate our coach and he steals my parking spot and I hate his dumb dumb face"? Ask him about Stevens in 2-3 years.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 02:55:22 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
It needs an option for "He'll be remembered as a great coach, but not an all time great"

I think he'll be great, win at least one COTY award, but I don't think he'll be considered better than Red and Tommy when it's all said and done

Also, Forsberg is a good guy, but comparing him to Jesus seems a bit much :P

If the standard for all-time greats is "must be as good as Red," we might as well just give up forever.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 03:10:43 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Are you trying to have a contest for most polls started?

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 03:14:44 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
Are you trying to have a contest for most polls started?
who else is making polls?

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 03:37:38 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
How about this option?

It's a players' (and by extension, a GM's) league.  Great coaching is good to have but when it comes to titles, it's all about the players.

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 03:39:18 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
How about this option?

It's a players' (and by extension, a GM's) league.  Great coaching is good to have but when it comes to titles, it's all about the players.
No, because Pops.

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 03:46:17 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
How about this option?

No, because Pops.

At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2015, 03:47:44 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
How about this option?

No, because Pops.

Pop homself says that Duncan is the reason for all of the Spurs' success. In the overseas NBA trip, Pop just said, "Now I may have been a part of 5 championship teams, but the real reason for the success is 'Coach Duncan.'"

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2015, 03:49:28 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

This is funny because a friend of my kept busting my chops about how Stevens is going back to college as soon as he gets the chance.
 I countered with the length of his contract, how Brad gushed that this is the Boston freaking Celtics at his press conference. And I thought he was calculating how much money he could make here over the next 20 years. His wife is an attorney I believe and seems like a rock and good with investments.
 This confirms my belief, Brad will be here until Ainge cash barely walk.

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2015, 03:53:18 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
How about this option?

And the coaches.

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2015, 03:55:54 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
How about this option?

No, because Pops.

Pop homself says that Duncan is the reason for all of the Spurs' success. In the overseas NBA trip, Pop just said, "Now I may have been a part of 5 championship teams, but the real reason for the success is 'Coach Duncan.'"

Duncan is a huge factor no doubt. But consider that other teams had got even luckier with the draft (OKC) without anything close to SAS results.

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2015, 04:04:15 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
How about this option?

No, because Pops.

Duncan is a huge factor no doubt. But consider that other teams had got even luckier with the draft (OKC) without anything close to SAS results.

If it was just the players, there have been players on Duncan's level who have never won, players with teams stacked full of the best talent. People dismiss coaches but they mean almost as much as the players, otherwise teams wouldn't waste money on paying them, they would just leave it to the players. Don't compare pay to argue this, of course the people who are doing the entertaining will get paid more.

I guarantee you, if Pops doesn't win without Duncan people will take that as proof that it's all about Duncan. Never seeing if Duncan could do it without Pops and the teams/game plans he put together. There could be many reasons than "it's all Duncan" if he can't win w/o him but people will not see/hear it.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 04:17:00 PM by ImShakHeIsShaq »
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)