Author Topic: Marcus Smart-The Next Deron Williams?  (Read 8194 times)

Re: Marcus Smart-The Next Deron Williams?
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2015, 05:55:37 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
No. What?

Smart actually plays hard.

Smart is closer go a Gary Payton or a more skilled version of Tony Allen
Perhaps you should have said less skilled Gary Payton to be consistent?

TA played quite differently. TA played above the rim.

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2015, 07:00:53 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Smaht is a tough guy to comp.

We're talking totally different eras, but he reminds me somewhat of....KC Jones. Tough, physical, scrappy, determined player who made others around him better.
Wow!
Tp
I'm thinking the physical gifts of Dwayne wade, the great defense of Gary Payton or Alvin Robertson the steady but somewhat limited offense of a Dennis Johnson or Jason Kidd and point guard handle like Ron Harper good but not really a point guard.  Kc is quite the comparison!

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2015, 11:01:57 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
I think the Artest with a little bit of playmaking is a pretty good comp. I dont think Smart will ever be a consistent enough offensive threat (I hope I'm wrong!) and I think for him to really shine, he needs to play beside more natural scorers (Derozan? Melo? ;D) who can be the focal point of the offense.

- LilRip

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2015, 11:05:20 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I hope he doesn't turn out to be Deron Williams because he sucks. He is and has always been overrated.

the second half of his career was a letdown but he was definitely one of the league's best point guards (and certainly could be on any given night) when he was with the Jazz.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2015, 11:12:24 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I don't get the comparison? 

I've noticed that when trying to make comparisons to Smart, people tend to just single out players who had similar body types with no real consideration to the type of player they were.

Deron was an elite passer and ball handler early in his career, as well as being a near 20 PPG scorer.  Marcus Smart is neither of those three things.

It's kinda like the recent Baron Davis comparison.  Sure both were around 6'3" and both were built like an ox, but Baron Davis had a completely different game to Smart - much more based on athleticism, much better ball handling / passing ability, significantly better scorer.  More of a natural PG who could also score. 

Honestly, Derek Fisher would probably be a much closer comparison than Deron, although Fisher was only 6'1" he had the strong, physical body and a very similar skill set (top notch defender, volume three point shooter, huge in the clutch, more combo-guard than pure PG, etc).

I'm hoping it would be more of a "rich man's Derek Fisher" though, because Fisher was really never close to the All-Star level that many people here hope Smart will one day reach.  He was, however, a starter (and very important piece) on a number of championship contenders and possibly one of the most clutch shooters of the era.

« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2015, 01:33:02 AM »

Offline ahonui06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 27

I've noticed that when trying to make comparisons to Smart, people tend to just single out players who had similar body types with no real consideration to the type of player they were.

Deron was an elite passer and ball handler early in his career, as well as being a near 20 PPG scorer.  Marcus Smart is neither of those three things.

It's kinda like the recent Baron Davis comparison.  Sure both were around 6'3" and both were built like an ox, but Baron Davis had a completely different game to Smart - much more based on athleticism, much better ball handling / passing ability, significantly better scorer.  More of a natural PG who could also score. 

Honestly, Derek Fisher would probably be a much closer comparison than Deron, although Fisher was only 6'1" he had the strong, physical body and a very similar skill set (top notch defender, volume three point shooter, huge in the clutch, more combo-guard than pure PG, etc).

I'm hoping it would be more of a "rich man's Derek Fisher" though, because Fisher was really never close to the All-Star level that many people here hope Smart will one day reach.  He was, however, a starter (and very important piece) on a number of championship contenders and possibly one of the most clutch shooters of the era.

Also don't get the comparison as well. Deron Williams is a much more consistent perimeter shooter for his career than Marcus as well.

Deron shoots 45% from the field and 36% from 3 for his career.
Smart is only 37% from the field and 34% from 3 for his career.

« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2015, 06:13:47 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
How about this for a comp: Lionel Hollins.

6'3" PG who occassionally played SG. Decent offensive player who made his name as a defender (an All Defense 1st Team and 2nd Team). Good enough to be a starter on Portland's '77 Championship team. And he was drafted #6 overall, to boot.

I think Smart has to potential to be better (Hollins made just 1 All Star Team) but his game is similar in a lot of ways.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2015, 06:32:53 PM »

Offline DarkAzcura

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 100

Also don't get the comparison as well. Deron Williams is a much more consistent perimeter shooter for his career than Marcus as well.

Deron shoots 45% from the field and 36% from 3 for his career.
Smart is only 37% from the field and 34% from 3 for his career.

I don't like the Williams comparison at all, but why are you comparing Williams' career numbers to Smart's rookie numbers? That makes little sense. Williams in his rookie year had a 50% TS. Smart had a 49.1% TS. Their shooting efficiency was nearly identical in their rookie years. That's the only applicable comparison one can make if you want to compare their shooting numbers.

« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2015, 06:55:34 PM »

Offline AngryAndIrritable

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 29

Interesting comparison.I'm hoping one day we have the luxury of Marcus Smart being the fourth/fifth best starter on our team.

The only valid comparison I really notice with Williams and Smart is their not utilising their weight advantage in a post-up situation enough. Just to clarify, not that I think either should have post play on their mind as a priority but it's certainly a weapon neither of them have really utilised.