Author Topic: Marcus Smart-The Next Deron Williams?  (Read 8197 times)

Re: Marcus Smart-The Next Deron Williams?
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2015, 06:17:17 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Joe Dumars.

That's a really interesting comparison.  I hope and pray he can become that kind of finisher / scorer.
Yeah, that's a good one.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2015, 06:27:27 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
What do you think of this player comparison...Defensively he is much better then Deron ever was but as he develops his game offensively I think that he is looking alot like Deron Williams

I think this comparison is one example of how completely out of touch the fans on this board are about the reality of our team.

In literally every quantifiable offensive metric, Smart had a worse rookie season than Deron Williams. He also just is clearly not as mature. Nor are their games at all alike. ...Williams is a shooter, and a passer, while Smart is a slasher, and a defender.

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2015, 06:38:08 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
It's interesting, though, because I think they are similar phsyically, and that worries me. Maybe I'm just making things up but when I think about all the problems Deron Williams has had with his ankles I wonder if it has to do with his combination of size and quickness. Like, he's a little too bulky to move that fast or a little too fast for his ankles to support all that frame.

When Smart missed time with ankle problems last year, I got worried its going to be a recurring issue for him as it is with Williams. But I'm just making up medicine in my head.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2015, 06:54:21 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
Joe Dumars.

That's a really interesting comparison.  I hope and pray he can become that kind of finisher / scorer.
Yeah, that's a good one.

Agreed, both show the great body control getting to the rim. ...I would like to see Smart try out Dumars' lunch-bucket approach to the game though. Not every made basket needs to be a cause-celebre.

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2015, 06:57:50 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
It's interesting, though, because I think they are similar phsyically, and that worries me. Maybe I'm just making things up but when I think about all the problems Deron Williams has had with his ankles I wonder if it has to do with his combination of size and quickness. Like, he's a little too bulky to move that fast or a little too fast for his ankles to support all that frame.

When Smart missed time with ankle problems last year, I got worried its going to be a recurring issue for him as it is with Williams. But I'm just making up medicine in my head.
Let's wait for Smart to be anywhere near as good as Williams in his prime before worrying about his ankles.

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2015, 07:06:01 PM »

Offline jayk009

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 29
What do you think of this player comparison...Defensively he is much better then Deron ever was but as he develops his game offensively I think that he is looking alot like Deron Williams

I think this comparison is one example of how completely out of touch the fans on this board are about the reality of our team.

In literally every quantifiable offensive metric, Smart had a worse rookie season than Deron Williams. He also just is clearly not as mature. Nor are their games at all alike. ...Williams is a shooter, and a passer, while Smart is a slasher, and a defender.

I don't know..from what I've seen from Smart he's a good passer and he also can shoot..he just needs to clean up his shot selection. In a vacuum he is a good passer and a good shooter but needs to figure out how to balance the 2 and be an actual nba PG. He is still incredibly raw offensively and we probably wont see the best of him for another few years.

I really think that we can't take Summer League as an example of how he's going to play in the regular season. He was trying to show that he was the man and was trying to show too much. He will calm down in the regular season.

When I see Smart moving around it reminds me alot of Deron Williams, just physically and the way they move around. Both are not super athletic...but one area where Smart lacks is his ball handling which he still needs to improve.

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2015, 11:13:31 AM »

Offline Maurice98

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 36
I really like these comparisons like Dumars one, especially. But I think the one person that reminds me of  Smart is Ron Artest. I think that Marcus resembles a smaller, guard and less insane version of Ron Artest.

Their similarities are on being able to guard and play multiple positions, high motor, unselfish players who are good/above average passers, bully to get to the rim, aggressive, intense, big for their position, not the most athletic (not slow by any means) but stronger than most at their position, lockdown and physical defender, not great but capable shooters and better used as complimentary scorers.

The main differences are that Smart seems more mature, less of a headcase and a better leader/teammate.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 11:40:43 AM by Maurice98 »

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2015, 12:21:19 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
If Smart becomes point guard Artest that would be fantastic. Obviously he was a big part of why we lost in 2010, but beyond irrational hatred the dude was a really great contributor to a number of teams.

And if he's well-adjusted, all the better.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2015, 12:44:09 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I see zero comparison between Marcus Smart and Deron Williams.

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2015, 12:44:58 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
If Smart becomes point guard Artest that would be fantastic. Obviously he was a big part of why we lost in 2010, but beyond irrational hatred the dude was a really great contributor to a number of teams.

And if he's well-adjusted, all the better.

Unfortunately, we've got one frontal lobe too many for this dream to come true.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2015, 12:59:40 PM »

Offline twistedrico

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 22
No way. People must be bored on here. No comparison. Williams never played defense like Marcus Smart.

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2015, 01:14:23 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Smaht is a tough guy to comp.

We're talking totally different eras, but he reminds me somewhat of....KC Jones. Tough, physical, scrappy, determined player who made others around him better.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2015, 04:27:05 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I hope he doesn't turn out to be Deron Williams because he sucks. He is and has always been overrated.

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2015, 05:45:46 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Smart reminds me of a mix between Draymond Green and Ron Artest if they were 3 inches shorter.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2015, 05:54:59 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Deron was a coach killer and whiner .......

I hope Marcus doesn't become like him.

Dwillie is a huge bust and diva.