Author Topic: Situational Awareness Series: Tall Ball  (Read 1993 times)

Situational Awareness Series: Tall Ball
« on: July 31, 2015, 12:03:06 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Preface: Since one of the most common topics on this forum is centered around the compilation of the best Celtics lineup given the current constructed roster, I thought it'd be fun to discuss this topic in the context of situations that CBS will have to face during every game. So begins the Situational Awareness Series.. There will be an in-game situation for every post. Please post your best 5 players to put on the floor, and of course, the logic behind it.

Situation 4: Hey if Memphis can do it... In all honesty, there will always be times where CBS will have to matchup with a team of giants (Cleveland or Chicago) or attempt to slow the game down against the smaller lineups of ATL or GSW. The tall ball lineup will of course require size to defend/rebound at every position, but also guards that are able to pressure the ball well enough to prevent ball-movement that would otherwise drag out the post defenders. On offense, we need players that are good interior passers and also have high IQ to manage a slower, half-court game. This means, no turnovers and high efficiency shot selection.

My 5:
Marcus Smart - hopefully with improved ball-handling and feel for the game, the turnovers will be low and passes be.. smart. Defensively, he'll hound any guard and prevent any easy pass
Avery Bradley - Good at using half-court/set piece screens with his improved jumper. Defensively like Smart, should be able to play good defense.
(honorable mention goes to Jae Crowder here - built like a tank and can defend guards)
Evan Turner - has good size at SF/SG, and extremely good size for a secondary ball-handler. Makes good decisions, though shot selection is questionable. And i thought he was very underrated defensively last year.
Amir Johnson - Defensively very strong, sets solid screens, overall high IQ and efficient
Tyler Zeller - tallest player on the team needs to be on the floor. Able to take midrange shots as well as being a very underrated passer.

Your thoughts?

Previous threads
SAS 3 - Small Ball: http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=80180.0
SAS 2 - Shooters: http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=80160.0
SAS 1 - Athleticism: http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=80139.0
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

Re: Situational Awareness Series: Tall Ball
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 12:27:39 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
It's an interesting concept and something we may see some of. Your line-up looks solid, but doesn't look like a true 'tall ball' line-up. I am thinking something more along the lines of:

PG- Smart
SG- Crowder
SF- Jerebko
PF- KO
C- Amir

Obviously our center in this line-up isn't huge, but all other positions are a plus in terms of size. I think it is imperative to bring KO into this type of line-up both for shooting and playmaking. The size from the other positions make up for any rebounding deficiencies of his.

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 12:32:47 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
It's an interesting concept and something we may see some of. Your line-up looks solid, but doesn't look like a true 'tall ball' line-up. I am thinking something more along the lines of:

PG- Smart
SG- Crowder
SF- Jerebko
PF- KO
C- Amir

Obviously our center in this line-up isn't huge, but all other positions are a plus in terms of size. I think it is imperative to bring KO into this type of line-up both for shooting and playmaking. The size from the other positions make up for any rebounding deficiencies of his.

TP, I was getting ready to post the same lineup.

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 12:33:39 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122

PG- Smart
SG- Crowder
SF- Jerebko
PF- KO
C- Amir

My only concern with that lineup is there would only be Marcus as the only ball-handler, something i'm not very confident about yet. Good stuff though.
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 01:20:48 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Turner
Hunter
Jerekbo
KO
Zeller

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 10:05:58 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
This series of threads is one of the best I've seen in the forum in a long time. Tommy Point!

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 12:59:26 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
TP this is a good thread.
This is where the C's run into some problems.

Zeller
Amir
JJ
Smart
ET

much more dificult than going small.

Interesting nobody mentions Sully, big or small.

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2015, 01:29:39 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
Guys, as i said earlier IMO IT should play with Lee because they both excel at PnR

heres an analysis of Lee's PnR game

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2014/01/03/film-study-the-roll-of-david-lee/

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2015, 01:54:04 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Tall ball

PG Turner
SG Crowder
SF Olynyk
PF Amir
C   Zeller

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2015, 01:54:45 PM »

Offline JoeyAinge

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 4
As our roster is right now

Turner
Smart
PJ3
Kelly
Zeller

Turner would run pnR with PJ3 and zeller smart and  Kelly would pop threes.

That's our tallest lineup.

Tall ball defense

Smart
Crowder
PJ3
AMIR
Zeller

Tall ball offense

IT4
Hunter
Crowder
Kelly
Lee

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2015, 02:02:11 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
Guys, as i said earlier IMO IT should play with Lee because they both excel at PnR

heres an analysis of Lee's PnR game

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2014/01/03/film-study-the-roll-of-david-lee/

Arghhhhh

I wanted to post this in SMALL ball and posted in TALL ball instead. Apologies guys.

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2015, 09:45:13 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
TP this is a good thread.
This is where the C's run into some problems.

Zeller
Amir
JJ
Smart
ET

much more dificult than going small.

Interesting nobody mentions Sully, big or small.

Saving Sully for the fatball lineup thread (sorry Sully, hanging curve ball).

My tallball:
Marcus
Hunter
PJIII
KO
Seller