Author Topic: Why the hate for Turner?  (Read 16502 times)

Re: Why the hate for Turner?
« Reply #90 on: August 02, 2015, 08:04:43 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Turner is at his best when he is the lead ball handler. I believe for Smart to develop he needs to be the lead ball handler. So Turner is stunting the growth of our best prospect.

Tp!
The Chief is back!

The anti-smallball camp is feeling more confident now  ;D

And don't you forget it..... :D.  LOL. ....

« Reply #91 on: August 02, 2015, 09:59:57 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Ainge signed Turner to a short, value deal, buying low on a guy who needed a reputation rehab. He's improve as an asset, IMO -- albeit only marginally. Nonetheless I expect Ainge to deal him shortly. I'd be surprised if he's not the next guy shipped out. Pretty easy to see a contender in need of ball handling insurance taking him on.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #92 on: August 02, 2015, 10:24:32 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I don't have a problem with Turner but I look at the roster that has an extra player or two (depending on where you put Holmes), and you have to decide who would be the best to go.

I see no real future with the team for Turner so I would rather keep younger players.  He has some value around the league maybe so I would rather trade him and get something back than just cut someone.

I think Turner could have a roll off the bench for a good team but I don't really see a role for him on the Celtics that can be taken easily by one of the younger players we have.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 12:30:14 PM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #93 on: August 02, 2015, 02:56:12 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
He's a versatile player and one of the main reasons we went on a run last year.  He basically acted as our primary ball-handler.  His post-allstar stats weren't far off from what Rondo did.   11 points 7 assists, 6 rebounds, 1.2 steals, 43% shooting and 73% from the line in 30.7mpg.  Not bad.

In Philly he temporarily acted as one of their lead scorers averaging 17ppg.   He's got some game.  He does seem like a classic Ainge buy low/sell high guy, though.  And if we're transitioning to letting Marcus Smart be the primary ball-handler, it might knock Turner's stats down.  He deserves praise for his play last year.

« Reply #94 on: August 02, 2015, 03:30:12 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
He's a versatile player and one of the main reasons we went on a run last year.  He basically acted as our primary ball-handler.  His post-allstar stats weren't far off from what Rondo did.   11 points 7 assists, 6 rebounds, 1.2 steals, 43% shooting and 73% from the line in 30.7mpg.  Not bad.

In Philly he temporarily acted as one of their lead scorers averaging 17ppg.   He's got some game.  He does seem like a classic Ainge buy low/sell high guy, though.  And if we're transitioning to letting Marcus Smart be the primary ball-handler, it might knock Turner's stats down.  He deserves praise for his play last year.

Just want to say, I see there is a closed thread critiquing you.  While I have had my disagreements with you, I appreciate your point of view.  Just thought it should be said.

« Reply #95 on: August 02, 2015, 03:45:40 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
When they signed Turner last year, I never thought he'd actually be here.  I thought it was a precursor to a sign-and-trade.  I don't know if there should be hate for him, but there's no denying that his offensive game is a train wreck at times.  He can be incredibly frustrating to watch.  He's one of those players for me where every time he shoots it I start yelling "no don't sh..." and then he makes it and I immediately shut up.

Given his skill set, unless he has the ball in his hands the majority of the time on the floor, his value goes way down.  That's why he was much more of the true point guard last year and not Smart.  If Stevens really feels like it's Smart's time to grow as the primary ball handler, then Turner's role will best be used out of the starting lineup and more as the backup point guard.

« Reply #96 on: August 02, 2015, 03:59:37 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Am I the only person who doesn't hate Turner on this forum? I don't think he played terribly for the Celtics and his contract isn't outrageous or anything. Can someone just explain why everyone hates him? All the trade proposals to simply get rid of him seem a little crazy to me, in my eyes he's a pretty serviceable player.

I should also start a "why the hate for sully" thread but that's for another day.

I think the reason people hate Evan Turner is because he played for Philly, and people are corrupted by the cesspool of thought that is the mind of the Philadelphian sports fan.  Also - he was a hot-shot #2 draft pick college superstar and his game has never approached that type of hype.

The reality is that ET is a perfectly valuable NBA player.  He was a great fill-in after the Rondo trade when the team had nothing for ballhandling.  He is very versatile and can play up to 4 positions on the court.  By most accounts was a great teammate and he played hard all season.  Brad Stevens clearly loves him on the team given his usage, even after IT4 was acquired. I think he was a great addition to the franchise and would love to have him here long-term if he comes at his current price.

« Reply #97 on: August 02, 2015, 04:05:36 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
Look at his stats.

« Reply #98 on: August 02, 2015, 04:48:25 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I think one issue is that most people don't really view him as part of the future here, nor do most people think he has much in the way of trade value. Thus, it's hard for most people to like him when that's the case.

« Reply #99 on: August 02, 2015, 05:22:29 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

His counting stats toward the end of the year were nice.

The problem is when you start to look at how many shots he took to get the points he got, how infrequently he got to the line, how few shots he hit from 3 point land, and his ratio of assists to turnovers.

His defense was mostly OK in the second half of the season, but he's still a guy you'd rather have defending backups than starters, and playing him at the 3 really puts you in a tough position defensively.

I must say, I enjoy Turner's herky jerky mid-range game, at times.  When he makes those tricky pull up shots from just outside the paint, it's kind of fun.

But I felt the same way about watching Jordan Crawford.  Amusing, eccentric, occasionally impressive.  But neither really has a role in the kind of modern offense I'd like to see the Celtics run (and the kind I think Brad Stevens intends for them to run).
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #100 on: August 02, 2015, 05:50:12 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Because it s

PAST TIME

He he should have been traded

My new battle cry ...

........set my people free....

Trade ET

« Reply #101 on: August 03, 2015, 01:37:16 AM »

Offline ahonui06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 27
Evan Turner is a serviceable player but should be coming off the bench.

« Reply #102 on: August 03, 2015, 01:48:36 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
ET is a good player but it just seems like the easiest spot to upgrade.

« Reply #103 on: August 03, 2015, 02:10:06 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I understand both sides of the argument.

On one hand Turner is average (at best) defender, he can't shoot threes, and he's horrendously turnover prone - to the point where you kinda have to have him playing off the ball (despite his ball handling / passing skills) because if he's a primary ball handler he'll kill you with turnovers.

On the other hand he's a potential walking triple double on any night, he's shown he can come up big in the clutch, he's one of the few guys we have who can create something off the dribble, and his ability to handle the ball / pass are very useful (when used in moderation).

To me, the fact that he's on such a cheap contact (~$3m) and is relatively young (25) makes keeping him a no brainer.  At that budget you can happily bring him off the bench, and while he's only an average starter...he's a very good backup. 

To be fair, Turner is at least as good as anybody else we have at the SF spot.  Neither Crowder nor Jerebko is any better right now than Turner is overall, and Turner is the cheapest of the three.