Author Topic: There's a chance that we never sign/trade for the all-star we're looking for  (Read 5062 times)

Offline jayk009

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 29
There's just no guarantees that one will become available in the future for us...but you know I'm actually okay with that.

We have one of the best coaches in the league, one of the best GM's and lots of draft picks to pounce in case one does happen to be available. We also have a very deep team with many quality players that can develop with us.

If we can't just get an established all-star via trade/free agency we will have no choice but to grow the team organically in a similar way as the Golden State Warriors did where it took them a good 5-7 years to get the team to where they are. When Steph Curry and Klay Thompson were drafted they were not considered all star prospects but they slowly grew into them. If you look at their rosters alot of their role players are their own draft picks and were able to slowly develop and become very very valuable role players. Who knew that Draymond Green would end up being arguably their most important player when he was drafted.

I really hope that we stay patient and continue on the same path that we are going..Of course if another KG/Ray Allen chance comes up then we take it but just remember it's still only year 3 of our rebuild..We need to be patient and success will come!

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
"There's a chance that we never sign/trade for the all-star we're looking for"

the very reason we should have been tanking. rebuilding the team with late 1st and 2nd rnd. picks and hoping a star rises from that is like taking 4 right turns to make a left turn.   

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
"There's a chance that we never sign/trade for the all-star we're looking for"

the very reason we should have been tanking. rebuilding the team with late 1st and 2nd rnd. picks and hoping a star rises from that is like taking 4 right turns to make a left turn.

There's no guarantee that we'd draft one if we tanked, either
I'm bitter.

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
correct, but there's also a chance that star comes from inside.  let's play the what if game and say sully becomes the 20/10 go to guy like klove, rj hunter becomes a legit scoring guard, and smart is the all star pg people think he can be.  there's the next big three, and they're all home grown.  throw in the high picks from the nets and you have a talented roster.

yep, you can tell it's summer because there's not much else to talk about and i've drank the kool-aid!
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
Unfortunately the Celtics started the rebuild at a particularly bad time due to the cap rising the next couple years. Teams won't have problems affording all their players and besides, they already had an advantage of being able to offer the most money. The teams that are good will just have the ability to get better or preserve what they already had and the bad teams have to build through the draft and/or sign the leftovers (sorry, Amir Johnson).

Still, 2 years is not a long time to rebuild so we have to be a little patient. It would just be a lot more promising if we had gotten at least one player with multiple all-star potential in those two years because you really need stars to lure other stars. The attraction can't only be that we have a strong organization, because lots of teams, especially the good ones, can offer the same plus other perks like nice weather and no state tax.

The cap rising and the 2016 draft supposedly not being strong doesn't bode well for the next calendar year. Since the team has the disadvantage of being a bad/mediocre team in a bad conference, we can't really suck enough for a great pick. The best chance now seems to be continuing to play well in the crappy East and hoping that somebody takes notice and somehow takes a chance on the Celtics. Since the FA class isn't so great in 2016, it could be 2017 when we have a shot.

The other possibility is that we luck into some great pick from Brooklyn which we either use on Simmons or some other good prospect, or we use our 2016 picks (our own, brooklyn, and possibly Dallas) to make some deal. I just don't think there will be a young enough star becoming available, however, and an old one won't really be the best fit with our young team. That leads us back to our original problem of there just not being lots of available stars unless they're already nearing their end peak years (Melo for instance).

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
I think the team is progressing nicely all things considered. I expect they will do well next season (better than last equals doing well), CBS will continue to impress and DA will manage the assets well enough to make us attractive to 'all star' players we want.

One of the keys to the KG/RA deals was that Paul Pierce was already in place. With Smart, IT and a solid core in place, with the attraction of playing for CBS I think there is a chance we are not that far away. No disrespect to The Truth, we don't have the equal of him in place, we are getting better though and more attractive.

Having said that, the OP may still be right and we build from the inside if no one becomes available or wants to wear the green. My expectation though is we get our all star within 12 months.

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
There's an equal chance we never draft one, either. Particularly if we keep picking at the back half of the lottery.

Also, in order for the Dubs to win a championship they traded away their best player (and fan favorite) for an injured former #1 overall draft pick, signed one of the most league-appreciated defenders (who would later win NBA Finals MVP) in a last minute burst of creative bookkeeping, and tanked the last half of a season in order to keep the rights to their lottery pick. My suspicion is that if you pitched the Warriors model under that definition it would be less palatable to some on here.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 09:37:39 AM by D.o.s. »
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
There's an equal chance we never draft one, either. Particularly if we keep picking at the back half of the lottery.

Also, in order for the Dubs to win a championship they traded away their best player (and fan favorite) for an injured former #1 overall draft pick, signed one of the most league-appreciated defenders (who would later win NBA Finals MVP) in a last minute burst of creative bookkeeping, and tanked the last half of a season in order to keep the rights to their lottery pick. My suspicion is that if you pitched the Warriors model under that definition it would be less palatable to some on here.
To be precise there is no guaranteed method of acquiring a star in general.

This is true not only for the C's but for all teams.

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

and even if the celtics had had the number three pick earlier they would have selected embiid. so no route to acquiring talent is fool proof. as a result, it is best to use as many approaches as possible and not put all of one's talent-eggs in one basket. philly's approach gets them draft picks, but no FA, it seems, wants to go there.

the celtics' approach so far is reasonable and provides lots of options. so, let me propose something unthinkable here on cb and say... "let's wait and see for a couple of years before casting final judgement."  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
^But my hot take is fresh and i must share it now!

Exactly. As far as can be proved, there's no basketball deity serving out portions of parity and lottery favor to each team on their own merits, and it may not be wise to assume that this is the case.

We can grow the team organically and wind up the Dubs, but it's just as likely we wind up the T-Wolves.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I think there is a chance that we don't sign or trade for an all star in the next couple years. Never is a pretty long time frame to make a declarative statement like that though.

If I had to guess I think it will happen at the deadline in the 2016-2017 season or the offseason following that. That isn't as soon as we all would like, but it is certainly sooner than never.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
IMO Zach Lowe's last 2 podcasts -- with Mark Cuban and Stan Van Gundy -- have been really illuminating as far as team building goes.

Nothing earth shattering but both talked about --- and sounded honest, not just GM/Coach/Owner-speak --- the little things that go into building rosters and competing teams.

(I still believe totally in Ainge, FWIW.)
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
As to not surely being able to trade for an All star being an indication that we should have tanked. Tanking is hardly a sure thing.

The chance we would have gotten a superstar player by tanking is pretty similar to the chance that we could trade for one. The difference is if you are trying to build up assets to trade for one you control your own fate, where tanking is in the hands of ping pong balls.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
^But my hot take is fresh and i must share it now!

Exactly. As far as can be proved, there's no basketball deity serving out portions of parity and lottery favor to each team on their own merits, and it may not be wise to assume that this is the case.

We can grow the team organically and wind up the Dubs, but it's just as likely we wind up the T-Wolves.
No, because Lucky the Leprechaun.
Basketball is a sport played by two teams of 5 players with a ball for 48 mins and the C's win at the end.