Author Topic: Situational Awareness Series: Small Ball  (Read 2273 times)

Situational Awareness Series: Small Ball
« on: July 30, 2015, 03:27:40 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Preface: Since one of the most common topics on this forum is centered around the compilation of the best Celtics lineup given the current constructed roster, I thought it'd be fun to discuss this topic in the context of situations that CBS will have to face during every game. So begins the Situational Awareness Series.. There will be an in-game situation for every post. Please post your best 5 players to put on the floor, and of course, the logic behind it.

Situation 3: In accordance with the newest trend across the NBA (thanks GSW), every team's got a small ball lineup. Last year, we were able to use the small ball lineup with relative success. It really spread the floor, and created a lot of driving lanes for IT to attack the basket. However, unlike GSW, we had no defensive stallworths in the paint that was willing to scrap and bang with the more elite bigs. With the new additions this year, hopefully we're able to better keep the small-ball on the floor because I love watching it.

My 5:
Isaiah Thomas - can't have small ball without a 5'9 player. His paint penetration sure helps too
RJ Hunter - decent ballhandler, would be able to switch with IT and Marcus. And no small ball lineup would be valid without a 3pt threat.
Marcus Smart - Quick, Strong and physical enough to guard 3 positions. Hopefully his driving improves which would only further his small-ball effectiveness
PJ3 - the ultimate spread 4, as long as his athleticism is credible. Must be willing to rebound. (Honorable mention goes to Jonas). Better shooter, constant energy on the boards.
Jae Crowder - Draymond Green-Lite. Strong enough to defend most bigs. Willing to scrap and chase boards.

Your thoughts?

Previous threads
SAS 2 - Shooters: http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=80160.0
SAS 1 - Athleticism: http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=80139.0
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 05:32:37 PM by coffee425 »
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

Re: Situational Awareness Series: Small Ball
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 03:35:20 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Thomas
Hunter
Smart
Crowder
Amir

A lot of scoring and defensive versatility.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 04:02:54 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm still mystified that people think PJ3 is going to play for the Celtics in any meaningful way.

My small-ball lineup:

Thomas
Smart
Turner
Crowder
Jerebko

I don't think we're likely to see too many lineups this small, however, given that we have five productive big men on the roster.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 04:47:21 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
My small ball lineup is Smart, IT, Crowder, Jerebko and Amir, not that small because Small Ball is a flukey.   

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 05:06:39 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
I'm still mystified that people think PJ3 is going to play for the Celtics in any meaningful way.

My small-ball lineup:

Thomas
Smart
Turner
Crowder
Jerebko

I don't think we're likely to see too many lineups this small, however, given that we have five productive big men on the roster.

Even though i put him in my 5, i agree with you. I'm basing this on all of his potential and hype, but frankly he might be more liability than productivity.
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 05:15:54 PM »

Offline MSceltic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 23
IT
Bradley
Smart
Crowder
Amir

Call me crazy but I wanna see this line up alot.
IT can score in bunches and still PnR with Johnson
Smart is strong enough to guard a good amount of 3's
Amir still provides rim protection
Also TP for this series
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 05:28:47 PM by MSceltic »

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 05:18:01 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

What do see holding PJ3 back, out of curiosity? 

As for the small ball lineup, I think we'll see several versions of it that mostly feature Lee as the lone big.    Seems like a role he'd thrive in, with his passing and playmaking ability. 

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 05:19:40 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
This is a rad thread and a rad idea.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 05:21:03 PM »

Offline ahonui06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 27
IT4
Bradley
Smart
Crowder
Amir

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 05:26:07 PM »

Offline MSceltic

• Brad Stevens

As for the small ball lineup, I think we'll see several versions of it that mostly feature Lee as the lone big.    Seems like a role he'd thrive in, with his passing and playmaking ability.

The main thing is a roster spot we have 16 guaranteed contracts and can only have 15 players. OKC sent enough cash to cover PJIII salary so we can cut him. Its either him or James young most celticsbloggers think. Obviously it would be hard to just cut young in his 2nd year. PJIII will get a look in camp, but without a consolidating trade he is the odd man out.

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 05:28:28 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
This is a rad thread and a rad idea.

;D graci good sir

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 05:30:14 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum

I tried to keep an eye on PJ3 when he had decent playing time in OKC. Just seemed like a tall jumpshooter to me. Channing Frye without the accuracy or rebounding

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 05:32:18 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
small ball sucks. the way I view it, sure you may have some advantage on offense but you're giving something up defensively - to me that's breaking even and not an advantage.

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2015, 05:39:40 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
IT
Bradley
Smart
Crowder
Amir

Also TP for this series

TP back at ya. This lineup would be fun but this might be a very below average 3pt shooting group. As the opposing defense, I wouldnt closeout hard at all.

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2015, 05:45:25 PM »

Offline MSceltic

• Brad Stevens
IT
Bradley
Smart
Crowder
Amir

Also TP for this series

TP back at ya. This lineup would be fun but this might be a very below average 3pt shooting group. As the opposing defense, I wouldnt closeout hard at all.

Yea you are absolutely right, I think they would be great defensively against other small ball line ups. I would put Hunter or young in there if I thought they would realistically be part of our rotation this year. Maybe Smart and Crowder will become 40% 3 point shooters magically!