Poll

Would you go Full Hinkie mode.

Yes. Hinkie is God.
3 (7%)
No. Hinkie is stupid or something.
40 (93%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Author Topic: Poll: Who would go Full Hinkie mode If you were the Boss.  (Read 4535 times)

Re: Poll: Who would go Full Hinkie mode If you were the Boss.
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2015, 04:56:56 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I voted "NO" for full Hinkie, but I was rooting for us NOT to make the playoffs at the end of last year. I think that there is a strong distinction to be made between full Hinkie versus wanting to fight like hell and just miss the playoffs. Many people pejoratively call not wanting to make the playoffs "tanking", and equate it to full Hinkie and everything in between. They're wrong.

Making the playoffs cost us either Turner or Winslow or whatever they, as assets, could have been parlayed into (easier to move up from 10/11and/or trade for vet package).

This is where I was, and am. I agree entirely.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2015, 04:58:49 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I voted yes as a general answer. If I were handed control of the Celtics right now, I wouldn't have to but if I was handed a team in the situation Hinkie was in Philly (or something similar) I think its a smart way to do it. They'll be bad again this season but next summer they'll have another top 3 pick (probably) and they'll have Saric coming over from Europe (hopefully) and they'll have Okafor, with all of his talent. They'll also have a ton of money to start playing free agency and a handful of other draft picks. That's a really nice base to start from.

And this is all assuming Embiid never comes back healthy.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2015, 05:02:33 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
I like what Ainge has done during the rebuild except for the 2013 draft and 2015 draft. I like Olynyk and hope he has a great career but I would have pick Giannis or Shabazz at the time. I hope our 2015 draft ends up great but I would picked a wing like RHJ or Anderson in the first round and a center in the second round. Also I wasn't crazy about our performance in free agency this year but it seems like we didn't have a shot at most of the top restricted free agents. Maybe we can still make a trade.

The things I like tho include the Smart and Young picks, all our trades for picks, Rondo trade, Green trade, Brooklyn trade, etc, and of course the Isaiah trade. Even some of his small trades like Jerebko were good.
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2015, 05:03:51 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
IMO the poll question is badly formulated. Hinkie is a skilled GM but his strategy is not suited for Boston.

Hinkie chose a good yet risky strategy given Philly's situation.

Right now I think there is a good chance the super-tanking will start paying dividends (despite Embiid's injury which was a huge blow); but there is an equally good chance it will all come down to ruins with Philly continuing to suck for a couple more years and Hinkie getting fired.

We were in a very different situation to begin with, and luckily enough we did not have to go down that high risk/high reward path.

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2015, 05:14:16 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
No. It is too late to tank without giving up good young players. I wish we'd missed the playoffs last year, but now is not the time to be tanking. Plus, we may not need to: the Nets might do it for us!

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2015, 05:14:27 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
We tanked in 2013, and it was a success.  We landed the sixth pick and Marcus Smart.  I kicked and screamed the whole time about how much I hated tanking, but I got through it, and now it's in the rear view mirror.

There's a chance we could miss the playoffs again next season, but I don't think it's a goal of anyone in the Celtics organization at this point.  They are going for the playoffs and looking to improve the squad by, well, improving. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2015, 05:33:27 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
I voted "NO" for full Hinkie, but I was rooting for us NOT to make the playoffs at the end of last year. I think that there is a strong distinction to be made between full Hinkie versus wanting to fight like hell and just miss the playoffs. Many people pejoratively call not wanting to make the playoffs "tanking", and equate it to full Hinkie and everything in between. They're wrong.

Making the playoffs cost us either Turner or Winslow or whatever they, as assets, could have been parlayed into (easier to move up from 10/11and/or trade for vet package).

This is where I was, and am. I agree entirely.

With you both 100% there on last year.

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2015, 05:48:19 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
no, he's stupid.

Hinkie doesn't take into account the value of character and chemistry.

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2015, 05:54:30 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
Let's be clear with what "Full Hinkie" entails here. We would have to trade away everyone on the team aside from Marcus Smart, James Young, Kelly Olynyk, and this year's rookies.  Half-assing it by leaving around productive veteran players like Avery Bradley or Isaiah Thomas runs the risk of us tanking and still only getting a pick in the 4-8 zone.

While we're at it, we need to get rid of Brad Stevens. Two reasons: 1. he's two good for a the Full Hinkie, 2. he probably wouldn't stand by and allow the team he built to be torn for pieces in exchange for getting saddled with a team of D-leaguers until the end of his contract. If we're doing this, Stevens is gone.

Finally, if we're doing this, we're committing to it for at least 3-4 years. Even if we manage to land Ben Simmons in 2016, he's realistically not going to turn into a difference maker until 2019-2020 at the earliest. Until then, the Full Hinkie must continue in order to maximize our draft picks and get more potential foundational talents.

If you're clear about what this entails, and you're still up for it, by all means declare that you want to go "Full Hinkie."

Great words from a great man

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2015, 05:59:09 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
Let's be clear with what "Full Hinkie" entails here. [...]
While we're at it, we need to get rid of Brad Stevens.
Yep, Doug Collins left the 6ers when it became clear they would hire Hinkie and go for the tankathon.

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2015, 06:03:37 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
And Doc Rivers left the Celtics for a similar reason.

Brett Brown is possibly a better coach than Brad Stevens, fwiw.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2015, 06:17:32 PM »

Offline truthhurts34

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 11
No, but I wouldn't be interested in engineering a middle of the road team, either, even in the short term.

So how exactly would u rebuild a team, without tanking or being a mid tier team?

You seem either completely unrealistic, or just somebody that likes to complain. Perhaps both.
:-\

?

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2015, 06:25:14 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
No, but I wouldn't be interested in engineering a middle of the road team, either, even in the short term.

So how exactly would u rebuild a team, without tanking or being a mid tier team?

You seem either completely unrealistic, or just somebody that likes to complain. Perhaps both.
:-\

?

Foodfight time!

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2015, 06:31:56 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I'll refer you to any of a dozen posts and responses I've made outlining what I would have done.  I don't see the need to inflict it on the other people in this thread who've paid attention.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2015, 06:35:17 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think that there is a strong distinction to be made between full Hinkie versus wanting to fight like hell and just miss the playoffs. Many people pejoratively call not wanting to make the playoffs "tanking", and equate it to full Hinkie and everything in between. They're wrong.

You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain