Author Topic: Isaiah vs Kyrie - scary close  (Read 6263 times)

Re: Isaiah vs Kyrie - scary close
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2015, 04:09:57 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
I figured that someone would bring up the 13-14 season, and that's fine :).  Fair enough.  However, while you're right about having to play against mostly western conference starters that year, I think it's also important to point out that IT played with far more talent in Sacramento in Cousins (who, alone makes my point ;D), Rudy Gay (after he was traded there from Toronto in the December of 2013), and even Marcus Thornton, than what Irving had in Cleveland, meaning that the defense was always geared to stop him.

Or on the other hand, the fact that Irving played with less talent meant that he was always the undisputed #1 option, which means the ball was always in his hand and his usage rate was always going to be sky high.

As opposed to Thomas, who was a third option behind Cousins and Gay (yet was still able to put up huge numbers).

I thought that I implied that.  Oops.  Sorry for the confusion.  I know that 'usage rate' is, well, used ;D a lot around here, but I'm not familiar with what it is, exactly.  Is it a measure of how often and for how long a player has the ball or something?

Again, I'm not saying that IT is a bad player, but I think he's really being overrated here.  As for being the third option on that Sacramento team, I was trying to say that the shots he would have gotten would have been better than Irving's, meaning that it was more likely for him to shoot a better percentage.  Am I making any sense, here?

Overrated? The fact he still put up those numbers playing behind Cousins and Gay, make underrated if anything. It is interesting though, that Thomas and Irving are so close in numbers despite Irving being an all star.

Re: Isaiah vs Kyrie - scary close
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2015, 05:17:59 PM »

Offline emajic1

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 12
Kyrie is a mega talent, and as such is more valuable.  It's the subtle parts of the game that are keeping him from becoming a superstar (as well as injuries).  If he puts it together, watch out.

That's the thing: he's 22 and still has room to grow.

This is unfortunately what CelticsBlog people focus on, and not whether that makes his team better.

I'm not saying it makes him a better player, but rather a more valuable asset. I still think Isaiah is criminally underrated and Kyrie is fairly overrated.

Yes Max.  IT is one of the best values/contracts in the league period.  I am looking forward to see him thrive in the Celtics team environment where is is truly respected and wanted.  I think Ainge has always coveted him, and that he has very little chance of being traded.