Author Topic: Trade Idea: Turner to PHX  (Read 5018 times)

Re: Trade Idea: Turner to PHX
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2015, 11:15:04 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Here are our list of guys that can play PG/SG: Smart, Thomas, Rozier, Bradley, Hunter, Young, Turner.

We have all of these guards and are over 15 guaranteed contracts. I believe Turner is expendable since Rozier can play PG when both Thomas & Smart are on the floor. Turner's ball handling wont be needed as much as last year.

Therefore I'm proposing the following trade:

TO PHX: Evan Turner, Future 2nd rd pick (protected)

TO BOS:  2016 CLE 1st rd pick

This trade would trim the roster down and get us another 1st rounder in 2016. OR if we don't want another 1st in 2016, we could ask PHX for the 2018 1st round pick via MIA. PHX gets Evan Turner who can play PG off the bench.

I also see that PHX could use another PF. Maybe trade Olynyk there too?

Thoughts?

I wouldn't trade Olynyk for a pick, personally. 

Wouldn't even dream of it unless I knew for certain that pick was going to be at least top 10.  Olynyk was a #13 pick and has easily played well enough to justify that selection (maybe even higher) so I don't feel it makes any sense to trade him for a future player who is unlikely to be better than him.

The chance of getting a certain top 10 pick in return for Olynyk?  Based on our rejected trade with Charlotte, not very high.

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2015, 09:24:35 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Need a Big! Not more picks

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2015, 09:33:57 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Dang......

Just an Idea

I was jumping up and down with excitement

I thought he was traded ....

RATS.  :'(

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2015, 09:47:26 PM »

Offline Bdiddy

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
Turner looked pretty good for Team World in Africa playing with a group of talented NBA players. I see no reason to trade him as he is definitely the top SF on the team.

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2015, 01:07:57 AM »

Offline roberre_lecarpentier

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 2
A 2018 Miami first could be extremely valuable, this Miami team might not age well.  For as good as they look now, they are relying on 31 year old Chris Bosh and 33 year old Dwayne Wade to stay healthy, and 29 year old Goran Dragic, who may not age well.  Couple that with Hassan Whiteside's problems, which were severe enough to keep him out of the league until he was 25, and still got suspended twice this season.  He could also bolt after next year.
Its worth thinking about for sure

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2015, 10:22:15 AM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
A 2018 Miami first could be extremely valuable, this Miami team might not age well.  For as good as they look now, they are relying on 31 year old Chris Bosh and 33 year old Dwayne Wade to stay healthy, and 29 year old Goran Dragic, who may not age well.  Couple that with Hassan Whiteside's problems, which were severe enough to keep him out of the league until he was 25, and still got suspended twice this season.  He could also bolt after next year.
Its worth thinking about for sure

TP! Good analysis of why trading Turner to PHX could be worth exploring. If we could somehow get that pick it could be a steal. I'd even add another second rounder
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 10:31:46 AM by CsBanner18 »

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2015, 10:26:34 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
What could South Africa send back in trade  ???

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2015, 12:47:57 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I'm in the minority and my roommates can testify to how much I hated ET's constant ball hogging, but he said in a summer league interview he's worked hard on his 3 point shooting all summer and I believe him. I don't want to trade him.
Now that I put this in writing i believe it less, nevermind

What I found interesting, having seen him make that statement, is that he didn't attempt a single 3 in the Africa game.

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2015, 02:14:53 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
If we just give away Turner it probably costs us some wins. I mean he was our starting point guard on O last year. MAYBE Rozier can step up and losing Turner would be no big deal, but we don't know that yet. If we trade Turner we are left with only 1 player who has proven he can effectively run the O and he's like 5 feet tall and doesn't start.

For those of us that want to win games, losing 5 extra games or so could be a very big deal as far as playoff matchups and advancing.

Yeah, ET's behind the back move in the paint is ugly, even when he scores, but we can't just give him away yet.

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2015, 02:46:39 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
My only question is how can Phoenix take salary without sending salary back since they are over the cap at $73.7 million according to Basketball Insiders. Is this accurate? Is there some mechanism that I'm overlooking that would permit this trade? Have all the Phoenix players signed their contracts? I don't see any nonguaranteed contracts that we could simply acquire and cut after the trade.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 02:53:58 PM by Irish Stew »

« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2015, 02:52:18 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
My only question is how can Phoenix take salary without sending salary back since they are over the cap at $73.7 million according to Basketball Insiders. Is this accurate? Is there some mechanism that I'm overlooking that would permit this trade? Have all the Phoenix players signed their contracts?

This is accurate.  Phoenix had some space before they signed Brandon Knight to his new deal, but that was official on July 17.  They have no trade exceptions.  They would need to send out a little over $2.2 million to take back Turner.

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2015, 03:32:20 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
The original trade proposal is apparently dead in the water. A two for one trade that would both comply with league rules and clean up our roster would be Turner and Olynyk for Morris and the Cleveland pick. If acquiring Morris makes you nervous, it should. I doubt that Ainge would be comfortable bringing him here. I have no clue if Phoenix is long-term comfortable having Morris around. He's signed for the next four seasons. The ESPN trade machine appears to be not up to date so for the moment I'm not vouching for the legality of this trade.  RealGM Trade Checker is happy with this trade, so I guess it does pass the NBA legality test.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 04:08:55 PM by Irish Stew »