Author Topic: Trade Idea: Turner to PHX  (Read 5017 times)

Trade Idea: Turner to PHX
« on: July 30, 2015, 02:03:30 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
Here are our list of guys that can play PG/SG: Smart, Thomas, Rozier, Bradley, Hunter, Young, Turner.

We have all of these guards and are over 15 guaranteed contracts. I believe Turner is expendable since Rozier can play PG when both Thomas & Smart are on the floor. Turner's ball handling wont be needed as much as last year.

Therefore I'm proposing the following trade:

TO PHX: Evan Turner, Future 2nd rd pick (protected)

TO BOS:  2016 CLE 1st rd pick

This trade would trim the roster down and get us another 1st rounder in 2016. OR if we don't want another 1st in 2016, we could ask PHX for the 2018 1st round pick via MIA. PHX gets Evan Turner who can play PG off the bench.

I also see that PHX could use another PF. Maybe trade Olynyk there too?

Thoughts?

Re: Trade Idea: Turner to PHX
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 02:15:14 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I'd probably rather have a 2nd rounder than Cleveland's 1st so we don't have an additional guaranteed contract. This would be a fairly acceptable way to trim the roster down to 15 though, and I'm sure Danny could do something with an extra 1st.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 02:31:11 PM by max215 »
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 02:21:17 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Love it.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 02:27:40 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
sensible and practical.  can't conceive of a possible downside to this.  a possible fifth 1st rounder next year may be tough to squeeze on to the roster but I think that's a problem Danny should be able to work out in the next year.

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 02:56:13 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
This doesn't make much sense in the Evan-Turner-should-be-cut vibe we've got going on over here, because why would Phoenix give us anything for him?

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 03:01:02 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
So the IT4 trade would become

IT4 and CLE 2016 1st for Turner and Thorton?

I'd do it but why for PHX, they have more actual ball handlers than we do. Not to mention at least two capable sg/sf's.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 03:21:28 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
This doesn't make much sense in the Evan-Turner-should-be-cut vibe we've got going on over here, because why would Phoenix give us anything for him?

Don't bring your reality into this I just want him on another team please.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 05:38:25 PM »

Offline MSceltic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 23
I'm in the minority and my roommates can testify to how much I hated ET's constant ball hogging, but he said in a summer league interview he's worked hard on his 3 point shooting all summer and I believe him. I don't want to trade him.
Now that I put this in writing i believe it less, nevermind

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 09:04:24 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
OUR CURRENT DEPTH CHART:

Smart/Thomas/Rozier
Bradley/Hunter/Young
Crowder/Turner/Jerebko
Lee/K.O/Jones/Mickey
Zeller/Johnson/Sully

A guard or two and a PF need to be traded. I think it's between 4 players: Bradley, Turner, Sully, & KO. I'd prefer we trade Bradley, Turner & K.O for DeRozan. But it's likely separate deals could be made; hence why I made this post.

TBH it's AB who I want traded the most. He's one of the least versatile players on the team and RJ Hunter is already a better shooter and has more size than AB. Smart could play some SG, as well as Young. AB has been GREAT for us! He's only 24, is a great defender, and would be great off the bench for a contender.

I think it's more realistic that Turner gets traded since his contract is expiring and he's making less than 4M. We have a lot of contracts still guaranteed once Turner's expires. I like Turner's game. His dribble seems slow, yet he's crafty and is a great midrange shooter. He was so effective last year because we depended on his ball handling and ability to make a few plays. Having drafted Rozier, I think we can stand to part with ET and get an asset for him.

Ainge should wait until training camp to make more trades. He likely wants to see if the new guys can OUT PLAY or at least keep up with last year's crew.

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 09:10:49 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
They're already starting two point guards in Bledsoe and Knight, so I doubt they'd really want a ball-dominant faux-point guard in Turner to add to that.

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 09:41:35 PM »

Offline JoeyAinge

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 4
I would trade Turner to any team in the league for a 2nd rounder. TBH. Have no issues with the man as a person, just don't believe he fits on this team as a contending team. for Turner to win a championship this would be the team.

Steph Curry
Ray Allen ( prime)
Turner
KG ( Prime )
Dwight Howard ( Prime)

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 09:50:48 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I would trade Turner to any team in the league for a 2nd rounder. TBH. Have no issues with the man as a person, just don't believe he fits on this team as a contending team. for Turner to win a championship this would be the team.

Steph Curry
Ray Allen ( prime)
Turner
KG ( Prime )
Dwight Howard ( Prime)

Who said that Turner (who is making about $3M a year) would need to be the starter on this team in order for us to justify keeping him?

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 09:53:09 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
Here are our list of guys that can play PG/SG: Smart, Thomas, Rozier, Bradley, Hunter, Young, Turner.

We have all of these guards and are over 15 guaranteed contracts. I believe Turner is expendable since Rozier can play PG when both Thomas & Smart are on the floor. Turner's ball handling wont be needed as much as last year.

Therefore I'm proposing the following trade:

TO PHX: Evan Turner, Future 2nd rd pick (protected)

TO BOS:  2016 CLE 1st rd pick

This trade would trim the roster down and get us another 1st rounder in 2016. OR if we don't want another 1st in 2016, we could ask PHX for the 2018 1st round pick via MIA. PHX gets Evan Turner who can play PG off the bench.

I also see that PHX could use another PF. Maybe trade Olynyk there too?

Thoughts?

I wouldn't trade Olynyk for a pick, personally. 

Wouldn't even dream of it unless I knew for certain that pick was going to be at least top 10.  Olynyk was a #13 pick and has easily played well enough to justify that selection (maybe even higher) so I don't feel it makes any sense to trade him for a future player who is unlikely to be better than him.

The chance of getting a certain top 10 pick in return for Olynyk?  Based on our rejected trade with Charlotte, not very high.

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2015, 10:10:46 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
TBH it's AB who I want traded the most. He's one of the least versatile players on the team and RJ Hunter is already a better shooter and has more size than AB. Smart could play some SG, as well as Young. AB has been GREAT for us! He's only 24, is a great defender, and would be great off the bench for a contender.

Ok lets be realistic - I like Hunter's potential as a shooter, I think he'll be a very good one some day in the NBA.

But to say he's already a better shooter than a guy who has shot 40% from twice in the past 4 NBA seasons?  That's a long shot.

Until Hunter can shoot 40% from three in the NBA for a full season (with a pretty high volume of attempts) it's not really fair to say he's a better shooter than Bradley.

I get what you're saying in terms of versatility, but we need to remember that Bradley has been an NBA starter now for 4 straight seasons, with three of those four being on playoff caliber teams.

We don't even yet know if R.J. Hunter is going to be good enough to earn 3rd string minutes on this roster once he is playing against actual NBA level competition.

I am confident he's going to be a nice player and I think he'll get some spot minutes this year, but i doubt he's going to be good enough to overtake Bradley as starting SG, and if that's the case then I wouldn't want to trade Bradley in order to give RJ that role.

To be honest even if we didn't have Bradley, I'm not convinced that Hunter would beat Rozier for SG minutes - I kind feel Rozier is more likely to have an immediate impact on the court than Hunter is, based simply on his speed/quickness, his ability to handle the ball, his ability to get into the paint, and his ability to shoot.

I think they'll both be nice players, but I feel Rozier will have more impact from the start because his ability to create his own offense and score in a multitude of ways might force BS to use him as a 'Backup Isaiah Thomas" when IT is on the bench.

I can really see Rozier becoming very dangerous as a spark plug off the bench in his rookie year - I feel like second tier bench players are going to have trouble containing him. 

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2015, 10:56:50 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
They're already starting two point guards in Bledsoe and Knight, so I doubt they'd really want a ball-dominant faux-point guard in Turner to add to that.

Turner plays 3 positions....Bledsoe & Knight are starting. Turner off the bench. He'd be the best ball handler in the 2nd unit. Can also pair Turner w/ Knight or Bledsoe to give the other guard rest.