Author Topic: Joel Embiid - Celtics Medical Staff. Slightly Alarming...  (Read 14974 times)

Joel Embiid - Celtics Medical Staff. Slightly Alarming...
« on: July 30, 2015, 11:54:45 AM »

Offline 33_Larry Legend_33

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 87
http://www.libertyballers.com/2015/7/30/9071341/celtics-medically-cleared-joel-embiid-before-2014-draft

I recognize there is no fool-proof system out there, knowing what a human body will do.  But this kinda scared me - that the Celtics medical team really didn't see the bigger picture of the damage.

Re: Joel Embiid - Celtics Medical Staff. Slightly Alarming...
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 12:05:50 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
It's hard to predict these things, and well, we did take Sullinger , although much later in the draft. I honestly think Ainge would have taken Embiid if he was there at 6. Embiid is not done though , he will be back and still has a ton of talent, it will be a question of how long his foot holds up. It held up for some people in he past with that injury, not so much for others, so nobody really knows.

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 12:08:50 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Not really alarming at all.

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 12:10:46 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Can't say I'm too surprised.  Celtics medical staff doesn't exactly have a stellar history.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 12:20:52 PM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
Can't say I'm too surprised.  Celtics medical staff doesn't exactly have a stellar history.

Come on! Eddy Lecerte is the man!

I've read that every team behind Philly would have taken the same risk on Embiid, so I don't see this as a problem with our staff; just a calculated risk strategy that most of the league was on board with.
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 12:37:59 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I don't know what the success rate of bone grafts are.  I just read an article about embiid's worth now that he's heading for a second surgery.  It polled folks around the league and the determination was that philly could still get a (protected) 1st for him or late lotto pick. Heck of a blow to his value but teams would still take a risk on him even now.  Hypothetically If philly offered embiid for our three rookies (who will likely spend the entire year in dleague), you'd have to look over his medical reports very clearly, but it's probably a risk worth taking. 

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 12:43:03 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
link to article?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 12:45:01 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I don't know what the success rate of bone grafts are.  I just read an article about embiid's worth now that he's heading for a second surgery.  It polled folks around the league and the determination was that philly could still get a (protected) 1st for him or late lotto pick. Heck of a blow to his value but teams would still take a risk on him even now.  Hypothetically If philly offered embiid for our three rookies (who will likely spend the entire year in dleague), you'd have to look over his medical reports very clearly, but it's probably a risk worth taking.

If that's true, I hope Ainge takes a flier on Embiid...
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 12:54:25 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
link to article?
http://www.csnphilly.com/basketball-philadelphia-76ers/where-does-joel-embiid-rank-among-sixers-assets-now

If the Sixers hypothetically tried to move Embiid right now, what might they get in return? As a rough thought experiment, I asked around. One longtime league executive said he?s worth ?a real protected first.? When I asked if the Sixers could get into the lottery for Embiid, the reply was quick: ?No.? Another longtime front office man disagreed slightly and said he?d go ?back end of the lottery, maybe? for Embiid. He called it a ?dice roll? for teams that are starting over and want to gamble. Those are just two opinions, and Hinkie has done pretty well for himself when negotiating with other front offices (poor, overmatched Vlade Divac), but it?s evident that, at present, it would be hard to find a return approaching the third overall pick that the Sixers invested in Embiid. It?s hold him and hope, or move him and take a huge loss on the investment. The first option seems smartest and most likely.

I'll say it's hard to have an opinion on this, though as Philly has been pretty weird about disclosing information about Embiid's situation.  For several weeks they claimed he hadn't rebroken the bone... and now suddenly reports are coming out that he did indeed refracture it.  So you'd have to expect a very very thorough examination of Embiid and his medical history before making any offer at all.  But assuming there's a better than 50% chance he comes back 100% next season, I'd trade Rozier + Hunter + Mickey for him.   Those guys will all spend the bulk of their time in dleague this year anyways.  Combining all of them with the #15 pick wasn't enough to move up to #9.... So the three of them alone for Embiid sounds like a win for Boston (presuming Embiid had a chance of recovery and Philly was even open to such a sell-low proposition). 

I don't see Philly attempting to sell low on Embiid right now, so let's not spend too much time debating about whether it's too much to give up for him.  It's just a hypothetical and there is so much we don't know.  Who knows what else Philly is blatantly lying about.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 01:00:58 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 12:59:04 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I think Danny would still take Embiid at #6 if he slipped, even knowing what he knows now, and I think he may even take him at #3 if the draft was done over today.

It's certainly a huge risk, but Embiid's upside is still off the charts if he can get healthy and that's saying a lot considering the upside of 80-90% of the entire 2014 NBA draft is that of a role player.

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 01:07:16 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
If Embiid would have been there at 6 we would have been silly not to take him regardless of if we cleared him or not.

I don't see this as alarming at all.

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 01:17:53 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
link to article?
http://www.csnphilly.com/basketball-philadelphia-76ers/where-does-joel-embiid-rank-among-sixers-assets-now

If the Sixers hypothetically tried to move Embiid right now, what might they get in return? As a rough thought experiment, I asked around. One longtime league executive said he?s worth ?a real protected first.? When I asked if the Sixers could get into the lottery for Embiid, the reply was quick: ?No.? Another longtime front office man disagreed slightly and said he?d go ?back end of the lottery, maybe? for Embiid. He called it a ?dice roll? for teams that are starting over and want to gamble. Those are just two opinions, and Hinkie has done pretty well for himself when negotiating with other front offices (poor, overmatched Vlade Divac), but it?s evident that, at present, it would be hard to find a return approaching the third overall pick that the Sixers invested in Embiid. It?s hold him and hope, or move him and take a huge loss on the investment. The first option seems smartest and most likely.

I'll say it's hard to have an opinion on this, though as Philly has been pretty weird about disclosing information about Embiid's situation.  For several weeks they claimed he hadn't rebroken the bone... and now suddenly reports are coming out that he did indeed refracture it.  So you'd have to expect a very very thorough examination of Embiid and his medical history before making any offer at all.  But assuming there's a better than 50% chance he comes back 100% next season, I'd trade Rozier + Hunter + Mickey for him.   Those guys will all spend the bulk of their time in dleague this year anyways.  Combining all of them with the #15 pick wasn't enough to move up to #9.... So the three of them alone for Embiid sounds like a win for Boston (presuming Embiid had a chance of recovery and Philly was even open to such a sell-low proposition). 

I don't see Philly attempting to sell low on Embiid right now, so let's not spend too much time debating about whether it's too much to give up for him.  It's just a hypothetical and there is so much we don't know.  Who knows what else Philly is blatantly lying about.

If his value is indeed a "real protected first," why are we even talking about our current rookies? We have plenty of those to offer.

(All hypothetical of course, I think it's unlikely that Philly trades him or anyone trades for him at this point.)

Great words from a great man

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 03:00:44 PM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
Think about this:

Do you think the staff leaked a 'good' report so that it enticed the other 5 teams to pick him so that the player Danny may have wanted could have still been there- therefore making Embiid more of an asset for 2015-16?

Completely possible!

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2015, 03:23:18 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
Think about this:

Do you think the staff leaked a 'good' report so that it enticed the other 5 teams to pick him so that the player Danny may have wanted could have still been there- therefore making Embiid more of an asset for 2015-16?

Completely possible!

How does this make any sense?

His value is what it is, this report does not change it at all.

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2015, 03:45:04 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
People are very shady behind the scenes.