Author Topic: Mark Cuban on The Value of Draft Picks  (Read 4853 times)

Re: Mark Cuban on The Value of Draft Picks
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2015, 03:45:52 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
FWIW the NFL used to have top picks getting ungodly sums of money. It was a poor system which saw busts like Jamarcus Russell becoming the highest paid players in the game, so they instituted a scale. The scale should be increased to compensate for the cap spike, but shouldn't be eradicated.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2015, 03:47:30 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
FWIW the NFL used to have top picks getting ungodly sums of money. It was a poor system which saw busts like Jamarcus Russell becoming the highest paid players in the game, so they instituted a scale. The scale should be increased to compensate for the cap spike, but shouldn't be eradicated.

Everything about the nfl is a poor system and it should never be looked at as a model. The nba had a scale before the nfl. And as you said the scale should be increased.
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2015, 04:21:25 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I'd bet one or both sides opt out of the CBA when it comes up (is it next summer or the summer after?) and incresing rookie salaries is something that gets negotiated.

I'm not sure where "Cuban is a joke" is coming from. He turned that Mavericks franchise from a loser into a respected organization that has won 50 games like clockwork for most of the last 15 seasons. He definitely knows what he's talking about. That doesn't mean he's right about this but he's someone worth listening to for sure.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2015, 04:23:28 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Everything about the nfl is a poor system and it should never be looked at as a model. The nba had a scale before the nfl. And as you said the scale should be increased.

Hey, Sam Bradford loves the old rookie scale.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2015, 04:37:39 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
I'd bet one or both sides opt out of the CBA when it comes up (is it next summer or the summer after?) and incresing rookie salaries is something that gets negotiated.

I'm not sure where "Cuban is a joke" is coming from. He turned that Mavericks franchise from a loser into a respected organization that has won 50 games like clockwork for most of the last 15 seasons. He definitely knows what he's talking about. That doesn't mean he's right about this but he's someone worth listening to for sure.

I hate mark cuban. he acts like he is different but he is just like all the other owners. watch him rip off people on shark tank. or how he was a scumbag during the last lockout. he is a wolf in sheeps clothing and should not be listened to. and obviously the players should opt out because they were screwed in the last lockout. the owners have no reason to but will because they always do

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2015, 04:39:49 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum

I'm sure the nfl players love non guaranteed contracts with very little guaranteed money and they love franchise tags and they love the injuries they will have for the rest of their lives. All this despite being far more famous than mlb stars who have no max contract, no years limit lots of guaranteed money, etc.

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2015, 04:45:07 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742

I hate mark cuban. he acts like he is different but he is just like all the other owners. watch him rip off people on shark tank. or how he was a scumbag during the last lockout. he is a wolf in sheeps clothing and should not be listened to. and obviously the players should opt out because they were screwed in the last lockout. the owners have no reason to but will because they always do
I have no reason to defend him as a person, but to say he doesn't know what he's talking about seems wrong to me.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2015, 04:45:53 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

I'm sure the nfl players love non guaranteed contracts with very little guaranteed money and they love franchise tags and they love the injuries they will have for the rest of their lives. All this despite being far more famous than mlb stars who have no max contract, no years limit lots of guaranteed money, etc.

We're in agreement here.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2015, 04:55:08 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
I over reacted to both of you. Sorry guys.

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2015, 06:40:15 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

Bradford was the name I typed first, but changed it once I remembered the disaster that was Jamarcus Russell.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers