Author Topic: Mark Cuban on The Value of Draft Picks  (Read 4838 times)

Mark Cuban on The Value of Draft Picks
« on: July 30, 2015, 09:44:25 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Mark Cuban on The Lowe Post:
Now, with the cap going where it is, its hard to game theory how trades are going to work. The only certainty is that value of draft picks is going to go through the roof.

Cuban and Lowe go on to talk about how draft picks that are "cost controlled, super cheap contracts that don't raise proportionally" is going to become a hot commodity in coming seasons. If Cuban is right, the Celtics will be sitting pretty.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-lowe-post-podcast-mark-cuban-on-deandre-jordan-tanking-and-shark-tank/
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Re: Mark Cuban on The Value of Draft Picks
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 09:58:54 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
They need to change rookie contracts. It is ridiculous how out of whack they are with other contracts in the league.

Bring them back to 3 years instead of 4 and raise the amount those guys are getting paid.

No reason for 4 year deals now that they have stopped players coming in directly from high school. I'd love to see them get rid of restricted free agency for non-star players coming off rookie deals as well. That is terrible. Limiting their opportunities. I can understand the need for stars and trying to keep them in place but role players shouldn't have to go through that. Make a financial cut-off point (equivalent to say $10 or $12 million per annum under old cap). That you can only make guys restricted free agents if you are paying them that much.

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 10:00:01 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
And we have plenty of those  ;D

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 10:00:26 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

He also said, and I'm paraphrasing so please excuse me, that having the worst record isn't the best way to get the #1 pick, because there is a 75% chance it will go to someone else.

He also said he would consider voting for Donald Trump.

There were like 4 other points in that podcast where he said something utterly moronic and Lowe had to just kind of push on, all the while complimenting him for being so analytically minded.

I don't think Cuban has any idea what the market is going to do.

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 10:11:52 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
They need to change rookie contracts. It is ridiculous how out of whack they are with other contracts in the league.

Bring them back to 3 years instead of 4 and raise the amount those guys are getting paid.

No reason for 4 year deals now that they have stopped players coming in directly from high school. I'd love to see them get rid of restricted free agency for non-star players coming off rookie deals as well. That is terrible. Limiting their opportunities. I can understand the need for stars and trying to keep them in place but role players shouldn't have to go through that. Make a financial cut-off point (equivalent to say $10 or $12 million per annum under old cap). That you can only make guys restricted free agents if you are paying them that much.

I disagree. Rookies being paid big money, on top of costing a roster spot, has been a very big pet peeve of mine. Let the veterans get the money.

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 10:24:02 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

I disagree. Rookies being paid big money, on top of costing a roster spot, has been a very big pet peeve of mine. Let the veterans get the money.

Agree with this.

Also, absolutely hated those rookie deals of the 90s.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 10:31:51 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

Agree with this.

Also, absolutely hated those rookie deals of the 90s.

One thing I'd like to see and this is mostly for veteran players is what baseball has in place for free agency.  You can offer your own UFA a qualifying offer which equals the league average salary.  If the free agent leaves for a new team, his old team is rewarded a compensation draft pick.  It kind of safeguards a high quality free agent leaving your team for nothing like Aldridge and Monroe.

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 10:58:22 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
1. salary cap goes -> salaries go up
2. rookie contracts do not go up

3. rookie contracts become comparatively better value for money.

it's not rocket science.

Having said this, I'm not sure "their value will go through the roof" as Cuban says.

First, the value of picks depends on many other factors too, and Cuban's claim is a very broad generalization. A top 10 pick is one thing, a second rounder quite another.

Second, they were very cheap to begin with anyway, ie even now in terms of the % of any given team's payroll they are insignificantly low.

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 11:13:32 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Also worth noting: Dallas has not been a team that has valued first round picks particularly highly over Cuban's tenure. He tends to zig where everyone else zags.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 02:36:57 PM »

Offline ahonui06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 27
The higher first round picks will definitely increase in value since there is potential for teams to pay pennies on the dollar to a superstar in the making.

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 02:58:11 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
Obviously rookie contracts should go up a little like everyone else's will. Hopefully during the lockout that is definitely coming.
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 02:59:33 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum

He also said, and I'm paraphrasing so please excuse me, that having the worst record isn't the best way to get the #1 pick, because there is a 75% chance it will go to someone else.

He also said he would consider voting for Donald Trump.

There were like 4 other points in that podcast where he said something utterly moronic and Lowe had to just kind of push on, all the while complimenting him for being so analytically minded.

I don't think Cuban has any idea what the market is going to do.

lol. the fact that people take what mark cuban says seriously is hilarious. he is a joke.

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 03:39:13 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
 I think it's a good thing that high draft picks are worth more. The three year proposal for rookies is a good one, but I'm all for these kids proving themselves in the NBA before huge paydays.

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2015, 03:42:08 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
On e flipside look at Sullinger and Kelly aren't you glad we have extra time to see if we want to commit say 60 million dollars to Sullinger.

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2015, 03:43:17 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
I think it's a good thing that high draft picks are worth more. The three year proposal for rookies is a good one, but I'm all for these kids proving themselves in the NBA before huge paydays.

Giving rookies a higher percentage because of the new tv deal is not a huge pay day, it is a fair increase

Celticsblog=sports radio