Poll

Which decade produced the best 5-man unit ever?

2010's
2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
1950's

Author Topic: NBA Decades Battle!  (Read 7642 times)

Re: NBA Decades Battle!
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2015, 03:43:21 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Since we can only use an individual player once, I narrowed myself down to what I consider that player's best decade was.  With some players it was tough, since guys like Michael Jordan and Kareen had multiple MVP caliber years in 2 decades.  But anyhow, here goes.

50s
PG - Cousy (55)
SG- Arizin (56)
SF - Yardley (58)
PF-Pettit (59)
C - Mikan (51)

60s
PG - Robertson (64)
SG - West (66)
SF - Baylor (61)
PF - Russell (62)
C - Chamberlain (67)*

Went with Wilt's '67 over his monster 1962 (the 50 ppg season) for three reasons: 1) it was by far his best FT% year of his career 2) it was the year he decided to pass like a maniac 3) it was the year he finally won it all.

70s
PG - Frazier (70)
SG - Havlicek (71)
SF - Berry (75)
PF Dr. J (76)*
C Abdul-Jabbar (72)

We'll go with an out of position Dr. J at the PF.  He was such a super freak athletically that I think he could pull it off.  I almost put in Elvin Hayes or Dave Cowens and moved Dr. J down to SF, but I didn't want to give up Berry.  This team would be a monster in transition.

80s
PG - Magic (87)
SG - Moncrief (85)
SF - Bird (86)
PF McHale (87) Up until the foot injury
C - M. Malone (83)

90s
PG - Stockton (92)
SG - Jordan (96)
SF - Pippen (96)
PF - Hakeem (94)*
C - Robinson (95)

Lot of good PF choices (looking at you, Karl Malone) but couldn't resist pairing Hakeem with the Admiral.  They were both quick enough that they could take turns guarding opposing PFs.  Gave serious thought to Shaq, but in matchups this close his poor FT would scare me.  Also gave serious thought to GP at PG, but gave the edge to stockton since this team was already stacked with 2 of the best perimeter defenders ever.

00s
PG Nash (06)
SG - Kobe (08)
SF - Pierce (08)
PF - Garnett (04)
C - Duncan (03)

Wade and Dirk prolly deserve to make the team more than Pierce, but I couldn't see a way to make it work.  Man, this team would be a monster defensively.  And it may be the best midrange jump shooting team ever.  Only trouble may be guarding beast mode era Wilt and Kareem on the block.

10s
PG - Paul (11)
SG - Curry (15)
SF - Durant (14)
PF - Lebron (12)
C - Davis (15)

« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2015, 03:44:55 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
Also, going by the rules I used I'd have to vote for the 60s team.  The talent is just out of control on that team.  Might be the strongest team ever, and by far the best rebounding.  But if you could move MJ to the 80s squad things may be a bit different.

« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2015, 07:17:56 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Actually I can see Magic and Larry showing up together and being like "Us vs whoever" and Lebron laughing and being like "Who are your other three guys?" and Larry being like "just us". And Kobe laughing and Magic getting serious for the first time in his life and saying "we'll take the ball boy over there." and Bird saying "Just have our trophy ready and one of you should start polishing it"

« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2015, 10:40:18 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Also, going by the rules I used I'd have to vote for the 60s team.  The talent is just out of control on that team.  Might be the strongest team ever, and by far the best rebounding.  But if you could move MJ to the 80s squad things may be a bit different.

So here's another question: is there a three point line?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2015, 01:22:49 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

I think you have to have it but you have to give the 50s, 60s, and 70s guys a few months to practice at it

« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2015, 01:58:02 PM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62
Since we can only use an individual player once, I narrowed myself down to what I consider that player's best decade was.  With some players it was tough, since guys like Michael Jordan and Kareen had multiple MVP caliber years in 2 decades.  But anyhow, here goes.

50s
PG - Cousy (55)
SG- Arizin (56)
SF - Yardley (58)
PF-Pettit (59)
C - Mikan (51)

60s
PG - Robertson (64)
SG - West (66)
SF - Baylor (61)
PF - Russell (62)
C - Chamberlain (67)*

Went with Wilt's '67 over his monster 1962 (the 50 ppg season) for three reasons: 1) it was by far his best FT% year of his career 2) it was the year he decided to pass like a maniac 3) it was the year he finally won it all.

70s
PG - Frazier (70)
SG - Havlicek (71)
SF - Berry (75)
PF Dr. J (76)*
C Abdul-Jabbar (72)

We'll go with an out of position Dr. J at the PF.  He was such a super freak athletically that I think he could pull it off.  I almost put in Elvin Hayes or Dave Cowens and moved Dr. J down to SF, but I didn't want to give up Berry.  This team would be a monster in transition.

80s
PG - Magic (87)
SG - Moncrief (85)
SF - Bird (86)
PF McHale (87) Up until the foot injury
C - M. Malone (83)

90s
PG - Stockton (92)
SG - Jordan (96)
SF - Pippen (96)
PF - Hakeem (94)*
C - Robinson (95)

Lot of good PF choices (looking at you, Karl Malone) but couldn't resist pairing Hakeem with the Admiral.  They were both quick enough that they could take turns guarding opposing PFs.  Gave serious thought to Shaq, but in matchups this close his poor FT would scare me.  Also gave serious thought to GP at PG, but gave the edge to stockton since this team was already stacked with 2 of the best perimeter defenders ever.

00s
PG Nash (06)
SG - Kobe (08)
SF - Pierce (08)
PF - Garnett (04)
C - Duncan (03)

Wade and Dirk prolly deserve to make the team more than Pierce, but I couldn't see a way to make it work.  Man, this team would be a monster defensively.  And it may be the best midrange jump shooting team ever.  Only trouble may be guarding beast mode era Wilt and Kareem on the block.

10s
PG - Paul (11)
SG - Curry (15)
SF - Durant (14)
PF - Lebron (12)
C - Davis (15)
TP for the write-up
If Shaq ever gets word of this he will give serious thought to actually joining Celticsblog to try and tear
you a new one. ;)

« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2015, 02:56:41 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I think you have to find a way to get Shaq in. Given that his titles came in the 2000s, I'd probably bump Duncan to PF where he started his career and KG to SF where he started his career. As much as I like PP, there's no way he deserves to be there over Shaq.

« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2015, 03:08:41 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
2000s

Nash (05)
Kobe (06)
LeBron (09)
KG (03)
Shaq (01)

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2015, 11:56:02 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney

Also, would illegal defense be allowed?  Both of those things came to mind.  I think three point or no three point, my lineups would prolly stay the same.  Same with zone D or no zone D.

« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2015, 12:35:06 AM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
no shaq in 2000s
this is crazy
garnett is my 2nd favorite player  but its hard to argue shaqs dominance 

i also think dirk makes the 00s team over pierce, maybe have dirk at SF

also [dang] i voted for 80s as i assumed it would be magic, moncrief, bird, mchale, kareem

but seeing the teams listed probably 60s
90s if it was GP over stockton