Author Topic: Amir Johnson's real height  (Read 16664 times)

Amir Johnson's real height
« on: July 29, 2015, 11:40:44 AM »

Offline CelticsFan166

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 133
Although Amir is listed at 6'9 as that is what his combine measurement was, he was fresh out of high school and possibly still growing when he was measured. After searching around the internet I've found the general consensus is that he grew about 2 inches to 6'11 or so since being drafted.

There still does seem to be some debate on other forums as to his actual height, so I'd like to see if anyone on CB could manage to find an official article or something that is not written by someone on some blog that confirms his real height. I just find it interesting that something as measurable as someone's height is such a debated topic.

Re: Amir Johnson's real height
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 11:43:33 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Well, for what it's worth, here's one of several pictures you can find on Google Image Search showing Amir next to one of his former teammates, Jonas Valanciunas, who is listed at 6'11'':

You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 11:49:17 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Well, for what it's worth, here's one of several pictures you can find on Google Image Search showing Amir next to one of his former teammates, Jonas Valanciunas, who is listed at 6'11'':

Just to complicate things further .... there is some debate as to whether Jonas is still 6-11 or if he has grown to 7-0.

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 11:52:05 AM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 11:54:50 AM »

Offline CelticsFan166

• Al Horford

Just to complicate things further .... there is some debate as to whether Jonas is still 6-11 or if he has grown to 7-0.

Great,  just great ::)

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 12:02:57 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Pic of Johnson next to Perry Jones the other day at press conference--Perry was taller, and he is listed at 6'10" or 6'11", so I think you are dreaming if you think Amir got taller.

Someone can post the pic, I don't know how, LOL.

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 12:29:17 PM »

Offline CelticsFan166

• Al Horford
Pic of Johnson next to Perry Jones the other day at press conference--Perry was taller, and he is listed at 6'10" or 6'11", so I think you are dreaming if you think Amir got taller.

Were they standing or sitting?

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 12:31:29 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

PJ3 was listed at 6'11.25" at the combine.  I'd guess he's an inch or two taller than Amir.

All of which seems pretty moot.  Amir's been a very successful NBA player for a few years at his current height, defending both the 4 and 5.  He's an NBA-sized big.

Height is more tantalizing when you're trying to figure out what a player might become.  We shouldn't wonder that with Amir.

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 12:49:35 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
and besides, height is not as important and indicator of rebounding, etc. as is standing reach. but so many factors go into these skills that simply viewing a player's height doesnt help us much.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 12:53:01 PM »

Offline CelticsFan166

• Al Horford
I'm not trying to say "he's 6'9, he won't be able to play the 5 well" because I know he can, but rather I just find it interesting there's such a controversy over such an easily measurable thing as height.

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 01:17:35 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I thought he was taller than David Lee in the Press conference.

https://i.imgur.com/IvflZML.jpg

But it was slight, another angle

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CLAAMrmWoAEhz_d.jpg

Could have been shoes, maybe he has grown, who knows?

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2015, 01:21:42 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
As part of his bone graft procedure Embiid is supposed to grow to 7'5

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2015, 01:22:57 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
At press conference, see attached.

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2015, 01:25:42 PM »

Online knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
At press conference, see attached.

You can see in that picture how high his shoulders are.  He may be a bit short for a center height wise, but his reach is probably legit for the position.

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2015, 01:28:01 PM »

Offline CelticsFan166

• Al Horford

But in this picture he looks slightly taller than Stiemsma, who is a legit 6'11. Confusing.