Author Topic: Who is available for us to trade for this year?  (Read 8103 times)

Re: Who is available for us to trade for this year?
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2015, 08:01:07 PM »

Offline ThePoeticWolf

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 14
With the Celtics needing to cut or trade two people to get to league max of players, this is the trade that comes to mind.

Celtics
Evan Turner, Kelly Olynyk, James Young maybe a 2nd rounder in the deal.
Denver
Kenneth Faried

With Johnson and Lee only one year deals and Sullinger as well.  Faried gives us our power forward of the future and gives the option to resign Sullinger in the off season if we decide to.

Center - Johnson, Zeller, Lee
Power Forward - Faried, Sullinger, Mickey
Small Forward - Crowder, Jones, Jerebko
Shooting Guard - Bradley, Hunter
Pointing Guard - Smart, Thomas, Rozier

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2015, 08:10:22 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Philly is doing nothing until Embrid is proven healthy.

We're going to be watching the NBA D-League team for a lonnggggggggg time :D

« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2015, 08:13:11 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
With the Celtics needing to cut or trade two people to get to league max of players, this is the trade that comes to mind.

Celtics
Denver
Kenneth Faried

With Johnson and Lee only one year deals and Sullinger as well.  Faried gives us our power forward of the future and gives the option to resign Sullinger in the off season if we decide to.

Not in love with Faried by any means, but I posted earlier reasons I thought a trade for him would make sense: 

There is some method to my madness. I'm really not too high on him, but I think there are a few advantages to it... I don't think it makes the team worse, he's on a decent salary for 4 years (reasonable if he were to stay, and not a bad trade chip), and it's one of the only feasible trades I can think of (both parties are unhappy).

Quote from: tarheelsxxiii
Also, while limited as a player, I think he'd thrive in our open-court and uptempo system. He's a great finisher and thrives in transition, would be a nice pairing with Amir or KO at center. I could see other teams being interested in him because of his semi-friendly contract and think some may overestimate his abilities because he's an exciting player.

One of those trades would help us significantly clear our logjams, too. And if Sully were out, he would be a good substitute for rebounding. So ultimately, it a) helps clear the logjams, b) we could showcase his talents, c) he could be a very tradeable asset (more so than the guys we're shipping out).
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2015, 08:14:51 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I had never thought of this before today, but if OKC somehow battles injuries again and it becomes clear that Durant is leaving, maybe they try to trade him for something?

I don't think there's any chance at all of it happening.  Not unless Durant tells them he's 100% not re-signing there.

Even then I seriously doubt we have a chance.

About 90% of all NBA teams would trade their current best player if it would get them Durant.  I doubt Houston would have any hesitation trading Dwight Howard for Durant, Cleveland would happily send Love, the Spurs would probably send Kawhi Leonard, the Kings would send Demarcus Cousins, the Knicks would offer Carmelo...

I mean really, about the only players that WOULDN'T get offered up for Durant are Lebron and Anthony Davis. 

If that trade option opened up, I seriously doubt we'd be able to put anything out there that the Thunder would even look twice at.

« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2015, 09:55:32 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
I think this could be the year Cousins gets out of Sacto. People think that since they won't move him, Karl will go first and they have no reason to trade him but that team they have this year is in serious danger of a epic blow-up. Never mind the shananagans between Karl, DMC and whoevers in charge over in that FO but they have a team full of malcontents with a roster that doesn't look good enough to make the playoffs in a loaded western conference and you have the makings of a disaster. I think Karl's already lost those guys, so it could get real ugly there. Were in a prime position to strike on that.

DeRozan is in an interesting name, and he's likely to be available at some point this year, but I'm not 100% sold on trading a whole lot for him. He's a volume scorer who is neither a very good passer or shooter and honestly I think he's a very similar player to IT save for the position he plays. But that said, if there's one thing this team needs it's a guy who can score from the wing. DeRozan can do that, I would just feel more comfortable trading for him if he wasn't up for a likely-to-be-regretted major contract next summer.

Steven Adams is my guy. I think we still need a long term solution at the 5, and I think a Adams/Zeller rotation with a sprinkle of Olynyk would be a good start. With Kanter resigned and McGary looking like a legit rotation player more suited to the back-up role Adams May come available. Zach Lowe even said as much on his last podcast. I'd consider trading a packing including some combo of AB, Sully, Turner and/or picks in order to get him.

Melo is an interesting target. At first, I thought Phil was dead set on re-tooling a team around around Melo and making some kinda push sooner than later but it just doesn't seem to be in the cards for them. I can certainly see a scenario where he gets traded of he's wiling to waive the no trade clause, and we have assets that NY would like. I just don't know if Ainge makes a move for a 31 year old Carmelo on a huge deal that runs for another 3 or 4 years without another "star" to put next to him. That would seem unlikely at the deadline.

I guess I can see a scenario where Paul George becomes available, but it's a huge long shot and if he did it would take [dang] near every asset we have to get him. Id do it though. At his best he's a top 10-15 player in this league. I love me some Paul George, and if that did happen we'd be one of like two or three teams (Philly, Us, maybe Phoenix or Orlando) that could put together a big enough offer to get him. Just seems highly unlikely.

I think Atlanta is a candidate to take a significant step back wards this season. Losing Carroll is pretty big for them, and if they stumble early the possibility of a Horford deal could come into play. I'd be totally interested in that, Horford is a legit star. Not a superstar, but a REALLY good player. Keep an eye on that one.

The Favors rumors only seemed legit in the context that the Jazz were making a run at Millsap in FA. I really like him, and he's young on a favorable deal. We have the kind of pieces to make a fair offer for him that, in theory anyway, balances out their front court. With Lyles now, an offer or Sullinger, Bradley and maybe Jerebko for Favors and a future 1st sound like a possibility. The Jazz interest in AB is legit and they're looking to make a run.

Tyreke Evans, to me anyway, would be a decent guy to plug into Turner's spot. He has a lot of the same qualities as ET he just does them better and while his outside shot is lacking, he doesn't lack playmaking ability like DeRozan does. Just like with DeRozan though, I'm worried about trading for a wing that can't play off the ball. To maximize Smart and Rozier's developments we need a wing who can score both with and without the ball. He could certainly be available though, especially if they don't get off to a good start.

How about Alex Len as a buy low kind of candidate. In the idea of looking for a long term solution at the 5, he could be it. He's absolutely huge, fairly mobile and made good strides last year. The Suns may not want to give him up after drafting him 5th two years ago but they signed Tyson Chandler to that huge deal. He may come up on the market.

I'd totally consider a Sullinger and change for Terrance Jones trade. The give you the same kind of out put, but Jones is a much more consistent player who I think could do well with an expanded role, and Morey is the kind of guy who would make that swap for a couple extra small assets and a chance with Sullinger who has a higher ceiling. Or a trade for Montijunas for that matter.

I also think Denver only resigned Chandler and Gallo to extensions because those extensions were reasonably priced in the current market and if we get closer To the deadline and they're looking to trade one of them, they'll get more for them with those deals than as impeding FA's due contract raises.

Brooklyn might be willing to give us Lopez for one of their 1sts back.

The one trade I think makes the most sense for all involved is this: Chandler Parsons to Boston for the 2016 Dallas 1st, James Young and a bag of chips. Dallas gets control of it's own pick back, thus can go legit tank mode, and get an intriguing prospect in Young while we get a versatile wing who fits into this team pretty well with his solid all-around game. Watch out for that one.

Plus, when a "star" becomes available it's normally straight out the cut and totally unexpected, so who really knows?

« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2015, 10:41:12 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
I think we could entice Brooklyn a package essentially consisting of Sullinger, Bradley, Young, Turner, Zeller 2017 pick swap rights for Joe Johnson.

I know Joe is old and overpaid but he's big, a great shooter and can but clutch shots in the playoffs Brooklyn gets out from under that luxury tax and can control it's own destiny once again with it's pick.

Our Rotation conisists of...

Smart, Thomas, Rozier
Johnson, Hunter.
Corwder, Jones III, Holmes
Amir, Mickey
Lee, Olynyk

We could then try to lock up a veteran SG on a decent paycheck like Derozan, Gordon or a younger guy with upside like Archie Goodwin. Shabazz Mohammed, or Terrance Ross moving Joe Johnson to the 3.

Draft Jacob Poetll to fortify the front line.Finally try to sell Al Horford on Boston and complete this teams destiny as Spurs East. A man can dream.

Are you a Nets fan?

« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2015, 11:31:55 PM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40

Celtics
Denver
Kenneth Faried

Denver aint doing a faried trade unless it comes with a 1st rounder
faried has done more in his career so far than turner, olynyk and young
despite him being overpaid

« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2015, 01:03:24 AM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
Steven Adams is my guy. I think we still need a long term solution at the 5, and I think a Adams/Zeller rotation with a sprinkle of Olynyk would be a good start. With Kanter resigned and McGary looking like a legit rotation player more suited to the back-up role Adams May come available. Zach Lowe even said as much on his last podcast. I'd consider trading a packing including some combo of AB, Sully, Turner and/or picks in order to get him.
OKC and the Celtics look like great trading partners to me.  Avery Bradley for Steven Adams seems like a win-win exchange.  Avery Bradley to me would be THE perfect 5th starter for OKC, while Steven Adams would be the post defender that Celtics fans have longed for for years.

If the C's move Bradley I also wouldn't mind seeing them make a move for Eric Gordon as his replacement provided we don't have to give up any premium assets for him.  At 26, he could be a nice guy to add to make the team better, or at worst he's a 1 year rental.

« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2015, 01:22:50 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
I think we could entice Brooklyn a package essentially consisting of Sullinger, Bradley, Young, Turner, Zeller 2017 pick swap rights for Joe Johnson.

I know Joe is old and overpaid but he's big, a great shooter and can but clutch shots in the playoffs Brooklyn gets out from under that luxury tax and can control it's own destiny once again with it's pick.

Smart, Thomas, Rozier
Johnson, Hunter.
Amir, Mickey
Lee, Olynyk

We could then try to lock up a veteran SG on a decent paycheck like Derozan, Gordon or a younger guy with upside like Archie Goodwin. Shabazz Mohammed, or Terrance Ross moving Joe Johnson to the 3.

Draft Jacob Poetll to fortify the front line.Finally try to sell Al Horford on Boston and complete this teams destiny as Spurs East. A man can dream.
This is flat out the worst trade proposal I have ever seen.

Wasn't Cleveland trying to find a way to essentially absorb Johnson just a couple of weeks ago (Hayward's salary and Varejao or something)?

Why on Dog's green earth would we give BKN all of our best players plus a likely lottery pick for Johnson? I am pretty sure we could get him for just David Lee and I don't think I would want to do that.

As for the Paul George proposal...YES!

So clearly the community was having none of this proposal. I've got a few counter points I'd be interested to get some feedback on...

1. Joe Johnson is still going to be good for 3-5 years. Like Pierce, Johnson is probably going to retire before he stops being an effective player. Johnson is a consumate professional, keeps himself in great shape and has a game that isn't predicated on athletism.

2. Lock up the last year's of his career. One poster mentioned why are we giving up all of out best players for 2 years of Johnson? My mindset on this deal would hinge upon us resigning Johnson to a more team friendly deal after his contract expires. Something like 3\20 after his current albatross of a contract is up. Its always easier to get players to resign than come here from the open market.

3. Consolidation of assests. Just don't really think that anyone we'd be giving up in the proposed deal is irreplaceable. Bradley was drafted with a mid round pick, is Rozier really that far off of him?. James Young has proven nothing yet, and although I like him, I think I'd rather try out PJ III. Zeller was acuired in a salary dump.. As for Sullinger I've made no secret that I've given up on him. I respect the views of those who still think he could turn into something but I'd consider losing him to be addition by subtraction.

4. Massive Expiring. Even after all I've just said about Joe, his greatest value could prove to be the last year of contract, that is some serious cap space that a team could remove from the books if it was trying to make an offer to a mad contract player. Expiring have mostly lost their luster in the current CBA but massive expiring still can be counted as unique assets.

I am pretty sure we could get him for just David Lee and I don't think I would want to do that

Well ya I wouldn't do that either, I want to resign Lee after his current deal is up. Personally would rather have him over Sullinger.

I'd do the Paul George proposal over this in a heartbeat I just don't think it's remotely realistic that Indy would move him in conference to a direct rival.

« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2015, 02:05:36 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
I don't know how much more needs to be said about Kanter's insanely terrible defense before people realize that Adams is a necessity for OKC this year, not a luxury.

The Thunder have been internally giving consideration to bringing Kanter off the bench this year (the fact that he was re-signed means absolutely nothing in regards to whether he'll start and people who understand the Thunder's financial situation this offseason should understand why this is the case). Adams isn't going anywhere unless the Thunder are getting an (at least) equally capable interior defender in return OR if Kanter magically makes the leap to becoming a plus defender by the start of next season.

« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2015, 01:25:49 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232

Smart, Thomas, Rozier
Johnson, Hunter.
Amir, Mickey
Lee, Olynyk

Wasn't Cleveland trying to find a way to essentially absorb Johnson just a couple of weeks ago (Hayward's salary and Varejao or something)?

Why on Dog's green earth would we give BKN all of our best players plus a likely lottery pick for Johnson? I am pretty sure we could get him for just David Lee and I don't think I would want to do that.

So clearly the community was having none of this proposal. I've got a few counter points I'd be interested to get some feedback on...

1. Joe Johnson is still going to be good for 3-5 years. Like Pierce, Johnson is probably going to retire before he stops being an effective player. Johnson is a consumate professional, keeps himself in great shape and has a game that isn't predicated on athletism.

2. Lock up the last year's of his career. One poster mentioned why are we giving up all of out best players for 2 years of Johnson? My mindset on this deal would hinge upon us resigning Johnson to a more team friendly deal after his contract expires. Something like 3\20 after his current albatross of a contract is up. Its always easier to get players to resign than come here from the open market.

3. Consolidation of assests. Just don't really think that anyone we'd be giving up in the proposed deal is irreplaceable. Bradley was drafted with a mid round pick, is Rozier really that far off of him?. James Young has proven nothing yet, and although I like him, I think I'd rather try out PJ III. Zeller was acuired in a salary dump.. As for Sullinger I've made no secret that I've given up on him. I respect the views of those who still think he could turn into something but I'd consider losing him to be addition by subtraction.

4. Massive Expiring. Even after all I've just said about Joe, his greatest value could prove to be the last year of contract, that is some serious cap space that a team could remove from the books if it was trying to make an offer to a mad contract player. Expiring have mostly lost their luster in the current CBA but massive expiring still can be counted as unique assets.

I am pretty sure we could get him for just David Lee and I don't think I would want to do that

Well ya I wouldn't do that either, I want to resign Lee after his current deal is up. Personally would rather have him over Sullinger.

I'd do the Paul George proposal over this in a heartbeat I just don't think it's remotely realistic that Indy would move him in conference to a direct rival.

Well, I get what your trying to say, but how we got those guys or how easy they'll be to replace isn't really taken into consideration when you make a trade. Sure, Zeller was acquired in a salary dump but he's a legit NBA-caliber back-up C who's still young enough to improve and is still on a rookie deal. Idk if I'd even trade just him for Johnson. We're not good enough to bring in Joe Johnson yet. We need scoring on the wing, sure, but giving up major assets to pay him 25 million this year to play on your team who even with him, is not making a finals run this year doesn't make any sense. The consolidating assets part of it makes total sense, but not at the expense of making a terrible trade. Giving up all those players AND giving them their pick back is just insane.

Would you really rather take an extended look at PJ3 over keeping Young. Young is still like 19, has an impressive skill set and is a much better trade asset while being under team control for much longer. I mean, we don't have to trim the roster till after camp, so you'll get a look at him then. It kinda sucks the Gallo trade didn't work out but that's the kinda guy you package a couple decent young players for.

Me and a few of the other folks around here have been pushing a Bradley to OKC deal for a while provided there's a good return. I think in order for that to happen OKC would probably need to find a taker for Waiters, but they'd prob dump him for almost nothing if they were getting AB. Bradley would be PERFECT there. And for Adams, obviously I don't think they're just looking to trade him, but he's really the only guy the have to use to make a move for a guy like AB, and the whole "They'll never trade Adams because Kanter is the worst defender ever and they need his D" argument has merit but it's overblown, IMO. Ibaka is the kind of athletic plus defender you NEED next to Kanter, and McGary is proving to be a legit rotation player who's at least competent defensively. If we were willing to include a guy like Zeller we could possibly pull that off. OKC is gonna be looking pretty desperately for a push over the top.

« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2015, 03:01:30 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318

Smart, Thomas, Rozier
Johnson, Hunter.
Amir, Mickey
Lee, Olynyk

Well, I get what your trying to say, but how we got those guys or how easy they'll be to replace isn't really taken into consideration when you make a trade. Sure, Zeller was acquired in a salary dump but he's a legit NBA-caliber back-up C who's still young enough to improve and is still on a rookie deal. Idk if I'd even trade just him for Johnson. We're not good enough to bring in Joe Johnson yet. We need scoring on the wing, sure, but giving up major assets to pay him 25 million this year to play on your team who even with him, is not making a finals run this year doesn't make any sense. The consolidating assets part of it makes total sense, but not at the expense of making a terrible trade. Giving up all those players AND giving them their pick back is just insane.

Would you really rather take an extended look at PJ3 over keeping Young. Young is still like 19, has an impressive skill set and is a much better trade asset while being under team control for much longer. I mean, we don't have to trim the roster till after camp, so you'll get a look at him then. It kinda sucks the Gallo trade didn't work out but that's the kinda guy you package a couple decent young players for.

Me and a few of the other folks around here have been pushing a Bradley to OKC deal for a while provided there's a good return. I think in order for that to happen OKC would probably need to find a taker for Waiters, but they'd prob dump him for almost nothing if they were getting AB. Bradley would be PERFECT there. And for Adams, obviously I don't think they're just looking to trade him, but he's really the only guy the have to use to make a move for a guy like AB, and the whole "They'll never trade Adams because Kanter is the worst defender ever and they need his D" argument has merit but it's overblown, IMO. Ibaka is the kind of athletic plus defender you NEED next to Kanter, and McGary is proving to be a legit rotation player who's at least competent defensively. If we were willing to include a guy like Zeller we could possibly pull that off. OKC is gonna be looking pretty desperately for a push over the top.

Well said, appreciate the response to the specific points, I never thought it would be a popular idea, but had to say my peace on the reasoning.

I'd do the OKC trade and you really can see the logic from their end. Sign me up for Some real toughness in the front court. Adams fits with every other big we have on the roster right now and  Adams/Mickey in particular would be a really difficult line up to score on. Mickey with maybe a bit more vertical capability, Adams with that twitchy jump rejump springy type of hops. Bradley would be a great fit for OKC and would stop the bleeding when Westbrook needs to sit. Also agree that McGary could fill the toughness dirt dog void left by an Adams trade.

It wasn't easy to include Zeller in the trade proposal but $25 million is also not an number easy to match. Zeller was our most underrated player last year, Stevens recruited him in high school and he fits the makeup of this roster. If I could have matched it without including him I would've.

In a vacuum I would pick James Young over PJ III mainly because of Jones' injury concerns but if the you factor the type of value we could receive in a James Young trade it makes sense to give Jones the long, athletic project slot. I mean, this was last year ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPjMeO39ySs ). I get that it was against The Clippers but alot of what he did in this game was sustainable, that drop step he's got opens up alot of space to get a shot off. Though I recognize he's much more likely to be the next Anthony Randolph than Anthony Davis.

Finally last point, I'm really less enamored with the Brooklyn picks than alot of people around here and I've seen similar sentiment from other teams fans on other sites. Brooklyn, plays in the East, has made the playoffs every year since making that trade, found a great compliment to Brook Lopez in Thaddeus Young and still have an overpaid but effective Joe Johnson(Playoff averages last year 16.5 PPG 7.7 RPG 4.8 APG 1.2 SPG). They actually have some sneaky good Young talent in Thomas Robinson (5th pick), Rondae Hollis Jefferson(23rd Pick) Sergei Karasev(19th Pick) and Chris McCullough (29th Pick) Bojan Bogdanovi?(31st pick, All Rookie second team) and even just added Andrea Bargnani for next to nothing. When all is said and done the '17 pick swap might only move us up about 2 or 3 spots it's not like we'd be losing a pick itself.

« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2015, 05:56:03 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
 The fit for Deng in Miami has been less than ideal, but sources near the situation say the HEAT want to see if this squad, when healthy, can truly compete. If it all works there is a real chance Miami keeps things together and sees how far this team can go. If the HEAT are middling, then looking to cash out Deng and reduce the tax seems extremely likely.
– via Basketball Insiders

Trade, Luol Deng, Miami Heat

Maybe Deng can be had. I think he would be a good fit for the Celts.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2015, 06:13:00 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
The fit for Deng in Miami has been less than ideal, but sources near the situation say the HEAT want to see if this squad, when healthy, can truly compete. If it all works there is a real chance Miami keeps things together and sees how far this team can go. If the HEAT are middling, then looking to cash out Deng and reduce the tax seems extremely likely.

I like Deng and he would start at SF for us but he doesn't encessarily fit the youth vision we have going on now.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2015, 06:22:43 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.

I like Deng and he would start at SF for us but he doesn't encessarily fit the youth vision we have going on now.
Neither did Lee and Johnson but he is only sign for this year. He only comes if Miami drops and we rise this year.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek